Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 11, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #16,411 of 18,761
Ah right, well unfortunately I find it a pain in he ass to carry around personally and hoped for something lighter / easier.
Stock cable at 1.4 m long.

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #16,413 of 18,761
I'm aware of that, I own one as I previously stated mi just find the design bulky, and the plugs come out frequently when I'm walking.
I only use the MKI due to that issue. How to get stock connections to put onto upgrade cables ?

Dec 15, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #16,415 of 18,761
Let's talk cables! Now I'm sure most of you use your TH900's at home, but I use mine 99% of the time when I'm out walking, and I love to find the perfect cable for them

I have the th900mk2 edition, so cable swaps should be easy. I've tried one from Moon Audio but it's just too bulky. I also found their connectors fall out sometimes.

Now the cable I utterly adore is the silver one that comes with the Campfire Audio Atlas.. Is there anything like this for my Fostex?

https://campfireaudio.com/shop/atlas/

I'd love to find a company who can cut off the plugs from my original cable and make me something lightweight and high quality :)

Thoughts?

Ever considered https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Neotech...14d863b91:m:mXAQVpgsGpiCVkzGUrLeaCQ:rk:1:pf:0 (Arctic cables)
They made all my OCC cables (3 so far) and the quality is top notch, both for sound and build. Roy is also very helpful with his recommendations. No bulk for sure with the OCC cables.

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #16,417 of 18,761
In my pursuit of getting my old loves back I came by a very well treated TH-900 with new earpads. As with the HE-500 I realize I should have never left/sold it. What a majestic wild beauty. Clarity, microdetail, no glossing over but pure 3D texture tactility, refinement, a bass to die for with short decay making nuances very "visible", actually demasking what other headphones "cloud".
Overall so dynamic and lively. That infamous peak was even like a "missed you too" moment.

I realize that's a salad of words but it's pure emotion right now.

Dec 18, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #16,418 of 18,761
In my pursuit of getting my old loves back I came by a very well treated TH-900 with new earpads. As with the HE-500 I realize I should have never left/sold it. What a majestic wild beauty. Clarity, microdetail, no glossing over but pure 3D texture tactility, refinement, a bass to die for with short decay making nuances very "visible", actually demasking what other headphones "cloud".
Overall so dynamic and lively. That infamous peak was even like a "missed you too" moment.

I realize that's a salad of words but it's pure emotion right now.
I agree.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #16,419 of 18,761
I will finally be joining the club soon. Long ago shortly after it came out I had my eyes, or rather ears set on getting it as my first high end HP. Then when I went to the shop to purchase it, I tried a few other HPs since they were available and I ended up walking out with the HD800. I have no regrets going the way I did and now I finally pulled the trigger to bring one of these home. Just waiting for the delivery to come from the other side of the world...

Dec 20, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #16,420 of 18,761
As I move up in my audiophile thinking, I have a question regarding portability. I currently use an Oppo PM-3 for my airplane/travel headphones. Would a TH900 be a potential alternative for travel?

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #16,422 of 18,761
As I move up in my audiophile thinking, I have a question regarding portability. I currently use an Oppo PM-3 for my airplane/travel headphones. Would a TH900 be a potential alternative for travel?

Since the Th900s don't really provide much isolation I would say no, especially for flying or even the subway. You can probably get away with it "around town" but beyond that there are probably better options

Dec 20, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #16,424 of 18,761
But don't let that stop you though... I wore mines on my flight to Japan, in the the airport lounges, and waiting in line at immigration... I will be doing the same in one week back to Japan. May or may not be a d. bag move but I don't care... at least with the MKii you can remove the cable for portability... hence why lately I've been gawking at the CA Andromeda... heck.. even the Sony Z1R since the isolation should be better?

Dec 20, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #16,425 of 18,761
Thank you! I was under the assumption that these are closed cans but clearly they are not focused on noise isolation. Thank you.
it is a closed-back headphone (neither semi-open or semi-closed) that provides little isolation from outside noise. i couldn't recommend it for portable use but some folks do use it in that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back