Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 18, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #16,216 of 18,761
It will be advisable to buy a th900 Refurbished? the truth is that 840 usd for them seems great.

or 1,099.99 for the mk2

Is it true that there are treble problems in this version?
It is actually no issue and realize that fact when you modify to lower the high.
Soon after you would get back down to original high, because the high is so ogarnically engaged with the bass that th900 present grandiosly without missing the soul of music.
I did attempt several time to get the treble down, but alway realized that th900 has beautiful / engaging and necessary highs.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #16,217 of 18,761
It will be advisable to buy a th900 Refurbished? the truth is that 840 usd for them seems great.

or 1,099.99 for the mk2

Is it true that there are treble problems in this version?
Treble is open, detailed. Bass is the best.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #16,219 of 18,761
Honestly when i got th900 i was really stunned with the amazing clarity, bass, soundstage and highs, only the mids didn't stand out for me, while they are crystal clear but feels a bit thin for me or lacking some meat to it.

I use it with no eq and with daps wm1a and qp1r, i don't know if that can be fixed by some eqzing or even by pairing with something of more synergy.

but its damn fun, i normally shuffle, so when a song plays with nice bass, its a real treat.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #16,220 of 18,761
Honestly when i got th900 i was really stunned with the amazing clarity, bass, soundstage and highs, only the mids didn't stand out for me, while they are crystal clear but feels a bit thin for me or lacking some meat to it.

I use it with no eq and with daps wm1a and qp1r, i don't know if that can be fixed by some eqzing or even by pairing with something of more synergy.

but its damn fun, i normally shuffle, so when a song plays with nice bass, its a real treat.
Try eq, I don’t. Just love it for what it is, a high quality server helps but really, just get hd800S as a compliment and meet the mids again, if you care
Lawton full mod helps expand sound stage, reduce bass distortion ( heavy bass thumps) and takes out some high ring, but costly and most won’t experiment...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #16,221 of 18,761

If the mids stood out then it will be flat over sound.

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #16,222 of 18,761
Try eq, I don’t. Just love it for what it is, a high quality server helps but really, just get hd800S as a compliment and meet the mids again, if you care
Lawton full mod helps expand sound stage, reduce bass distortion ( heavy bass thumps) and takes out some high ring, but costly and most won’t experiment...

Although iam not an eq guy, but i will try playing a lil bit on my next listening session, and see what kind of difference i will get.

If the mids stood out then it will be flat over sound.

Ye, I understand you, but i didn't mean technically stood out as in being more emphasized, i meant stood out as in didn't impress me as much as the rest of the frequencies, feels like i would
like it better with more body to it .. if that makes sense.

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #16,223 of 18,761
it makes sense. the mid range is recessed. it's been said here many times that the th900 responds well to a little eq so you might want to give it a try.

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #16,224 of 18,761
Coincidentally been curiously exploring EQ ever since I picked up an iBasso DX150 (what an incredible device!) back in May and the TH900 seems to respond very well to it.

Along with pad rolling, I find EQing to be a criminally underrated aspect of the hobby.

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #16,226 of 18,761
i don't use eq with the th900 myself so i can't help you with that. others have provided their eq settings for it in this thread however, and i think someone did so again just a few pages back.

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #16,227 of 18,761
Husband accidentally sat on my spare TH900's, super impressed with the durability. Poor things had 200 lbs slammed down on em & not a scratch to be seen! Not sure if I'm just lucky, but I'd love to hear from other owners who may have had an accidental durability test as well.

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #16,228 of 18,761
Husband accidentally sat on my spare TH900's, super impressed with the durability. Poor things had 200 lbs slammed down on em & not a scratch to be seen! Not sure if I'm just lucky, but I'd love to hear from other owners who may have had an accidental durability test as well.
20170712_105146.jpg
I use two of these outside on the go for three years.

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #16,229 of 18,761
as it happens, the th900's maximum safe load capacity is rated at 200 lbs. so that is lucky indeed. :wink:

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #16,230 of 18,761

Some of us have the bad roll of the dice I guess. Mines up to now has the screw on the right cup coming loose now and then. The left side connection broke once.Sent it in to the authorize Fostex servicer here in the US. They didn't repair it working 100%, sent it back in, they didn't do anything and sent it right back. The connection is loose and sound will cut off when I tap on it.... But I still love this headphone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back