Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 1, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #16,247 of 18,761
I've read that Pathos Aurium have good synergy with the TH-900 but i never heard it, beside its out of your budget ,

me my i self i am not a big fan of hybrid tube amps , i tried the WA7, WA8, iFi Pro iCAN and i have Hafler HA75 and they all have tubes and all to my ears lack the depth and musicality with my th900 ,

i tried the WA6 (pure tube amp) for brief time and it was very very smooth, musical , but i remember it was week amp and lacked the punch (maybe too smooth)

you can upgrade to a better solid-state amp ,, i dont know about the black micro idsd but i have the old silver one and it is good as portable solution, although not the best choice for the th-900 ,

i advise you to check the Fostex HPA8 ,, you can find it used for 400-500$, it is very musical , above it price in sound quality , have enough power to utilize the full potential of the th900 driver, also tuned for the th-900 (i love it with all my other headphones) and it have a lot of features specially the gain steps which give huge flexibility to tune its sound to your taste .. i highly recommend it to any one for any headphone (other than the Beyerdynamic & mrspeaker).

I’m researching the Hafler Ha75. I like the tweaking options. You mentioned you’re not into the tube sound. Do you still have this amp and would you consider selling it?

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #16,248 of 18,761
I’m researching the Hafler Ha75. I like the tweaking options. You mentioned you’re not into the tube sound. Do you still have this amp and would you consider selling it?
PM sent ..

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #16,249 of 18,761
I bought th900 blue on the foreign website yesterday without listening it, because this headphone is rare in my country ,Taiwan,.
Hence, could anybody suggest me which portable device works well on it? I will go to the store try it as soon as possible when I get my headphones

I had read this thread already
I found many people suggest...
1.ifi black

2.herus+

3.mojo

Please suggest to me More

Thanks

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #16,250 of 18,761
I bought th900 blue on the foreign website yesterday without listening it, because this headphone is rare in my country ,Taiwan,.
Hence, could anybody suggest me which portable device works well on it? I will go to the store try it as soon as possible when I get my headphones

1.ifi black

2.herus+

3.mojo

Thanks
Mojo/hugo are great , had both but ifi bl slightly better. Only con with the ifi bl is the size when on the go. Im in HK and Im using the ifi bl and th900 on the go for 3 hrs per day.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #16,252 of 18,761

1.ifi black

2.herus+

3.mojo

Thanks
I am very happy with my FiiO X7/AM3 and X7 (2nd Gen) combos.

Oct 5, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #16,254 of 18,761
ifi xDSD works super well with the th900.

Cheers

Oct 5, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #16,256 of 18,761
thanks everyone!
I will try all your recomendations

1.ifi black
2.ifi xDSD
3.DX150
4.Fiio x7 2ND
5.HUGO (over my budget :frowning2: )
In case you really manage to compare 1. - 4. please share your experience.
I would be especially interested which of them are the most fun / engaging combos together with a TH900

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #16,258 of 18,761
Just plugged in my TH900 blues for the first time. First impressions are really good. My original th900 mk1s have treated me well for 3 years, but when I saw the changes made with the anniversary model I had to give it a shot. I think the blues are an upgrade, don't know for sure yet will take some time. The sound is obviously very similar. I think the vocals may be the biggest difference. I am terrible at describing audio, I just know when it feels right, and the blues feel right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back