/end mommyrant 

LOL
very_evil_smiley.gif

HD800 + CSP2+ would be very yummy.

I will consider it mommy.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #1,053 of 3,438
Quote:
His lcd-2 is hung like a horse so I have to say the opposite, especially if he is looking for a "fun" tune (th-600) over an analytical tune (hd800).

The HE-500 is very similar to the LCD-2. I had both at the same time and sold one off because of it. There is no need to keep both IMO. Pick the one you prefer and move on to a reference headphone. Nothing better than the HD800 (excluding STAX). The TH-600 is "fun", but some find the HE-500 just as fun. Obviously in a different way. 

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #1,054 of 3,438

The HE-500 is very similar to the LCD-2. I had both at the same time and sold one off because of it. There is no need to keep both IMO. Pick the one you prefer and move on to a reference headphone. Nothing better than the HD800 (excluding STAX). The TH-600 is "fun", but some find the HE-500 just as fun. Obviously in a different way. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #1,055 of 3,438
Can anyone comment on the isolation of the 600 relative to the AKG K271mk2?

I'm thinking of getting the 600 as an upgrade to my home office closed headphone setup (where I need to not annoy my nearby wife with my music). I understand they aren't the most sealed off headphone, but neither are the 271s so I'm hoping they wont be significantly more open. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #1,056 of 3,438
I would have gone the HD800 route myself if it were not for my main genre I listen to being Heavy metal  and a lot of more aggressive forms of electronic and rock. The HD800 last time I tried it was too revealing, and was not my preference for my type of music. I still enjoy having both the LCD2 and HE-500.

My next headphone will probably be the TH600 if not just for my Electronic and select pop music. I have heard the TH600 is a good pairing with the WA7 which I have.

The Mad Dog is now part of my office rig that stays at there for its isolation.

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,057 of 3,438
For Reference the HD800's are it... As long as you don't listen to "fun" music :wink: 

The HD800's are modern marvels and when I heard them (moded) at a meet I was taken back at how amazing they sounded but honestly for the type of music I listen to the LCD's and TH600's are the much better option hands down. Now the moded version that I heard was supposed to have better bass response which to me is bonkers that you have to alter a $1500 headphone so its bass is up to normal listening levels but that's a conversation for a different thread... The TH600's for the price are perfect. They lack in no area and will scale up with whatever you throw at them. I put about 4 different amps through that ranged from the Fiio e11 to the Pan Am and it didn't matter, they sounded amazing. Can that be said about the HD800?? I don't think so. You have to find the right amp that can pair with it well in order to get the best sound out of them. Not the case with the TH600's. 

LCD 2's are closer to the HD800's as far as amping requirements but they still are great for all genres of music and the only real downside is the weight. I love my LCD's but the TH600's (to steal a line from boy Frank) curb stomps the LCD 2's IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY. That's really saying something... 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,058 of 3,438
Quote:
For Reference the HD800's are it... As long as you don't listen to "fun" music :wink: 

The HD800's are modern marvels and when I heard them (moded) at a meet I was taken back at how amazing they sounded but honestly for the type of music I listen to the LCD's and TH600's are the much better option hands down. Now the moded version that I heard was supposed to have better bass response which to me is bonkers that you have to alter a $1500 headphone so its bass is up to normal listening levels but that's a conversation for a different thread... The TH600's for the price are perfect. They lack in no area and will scale up with whatever you throw at them. I put about 4 different amps through that ranged from the Fiio e11 to the Pan Am and it didn't matter, they sounded amazing. Can that be said about the HD800?? I don't think so. You have to find the right amp that can pair with it well in order to get the best sound out of them. Not the case with the TH600's. 

LCD 2's are closer to the HD800's as far as amping requirements but they still are great for all genres of music and the only real downside is the weight. I love my LCD's but the TH600's (to steal a line from boy Frank) curb stomps the LCD 2's IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY. That's really saying something... 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Some really good thoughts here. My hesitation with taking the HD800 leap has been expressed perfectly by you. I get the feeling the HD800 is more of a tool to analyize music rather than geared toward the enjoyment of it. The reason I love my LCD-2/HE-500 is that they're forgiving and work well with almost all genres of music. Now that being said I would still like to have an HD800 around for my higher quality recordings, but I think I'm getting the TH600 first and then I'll add the HD800 to the stable, then a nice amp for it. Perhaps I should skip all this and just save up for a Stax O2 MKII + 727 from Japan.
biggrin.gif
 My lust/greed never stops I guess...

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,059 of 3,438
Quote:
Some really good thoughts here. My hesitation with taking the HD800 leap has been expressed perfectly by you. I get the feeling the HD800 is more of a tool to analyize music rather than geared toward the enjoyment of it. The reason I love my LCD-2/HE-500 is that they're forgiving and work well with almost all genres of music. Now that being said I would still like to have an HD800 around for my higher quality recordings, but I think I'm getting the TH600 first and then I'll add the HD800 to the stable, then a nice amp for it. Perhaps I should skip all this and just save up for a Stax O2 MKII + 727 from Japan.
biggrin.gif
 My lust/greed never stops I guess...

DFox is right, the HD800 stays a reference aka a tool for analyzing and hearing ultimate detail, which is just the nature of the headphone itself. To be honest, I didn't start enjoying my HD800 until you throw a few thousand at my upstream gear. Of course their are exceptions, and differences of opinions, blah blah... but honestly the HD800 was lifeless until I got a good source and amp worthy of the potential the HD800 has. I hate to put dollar signs on enjoyment because that totally goes against what I believe, but it is true in this instance. Now my HD800 is full of life and has the richness I was looking for. I can't say it is a totally different headphone because that would be mass hyperbole, but honestly the difference between my gear six months ago then now - transformed the HD800 into something magical. 

PS - I still prefer the TH-900 for modern genres (i.e electronic, pop, modern rock), but for classical, orchestra, new world, world... complex genres, the HD800 is at the pinnacle as far as I'm concerned. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #1,060 of 3,438

Thanks,

:evil:

When you say the lcds get curb stomped by the th600s what exactly do you mean? Im considering selling my lcds to get th600s but ive never heard a headphone that can reproduce the timbre and tonality of drums with such accuracy and realism.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #1,063 of 3,438
Quote:
Quote:
For Reference the HD800's are it... As long as you don't listen to "fun" music
wink.gif

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

When you say the lcds get curb stomped by the th600s what exactly do you mean? Im considering selling my lcds to get th600s but ive never heard a headphone that can reproduce the timbre and tonality of drums with such accuracy and realism.

Well and that's the thing, I was the same way you are now before I heard the TH600's. I thought yah, of course they are good but no way they will be better than my LCD's. I figured they were just upgraded versions of my D5000's (never should have sold btw). I was right and wrong. They are upgraded versions of the D5000's which is a great thing, and they are literally better in every way than the LCD's outside of looks and thats not a knock on the TH600's which are a site to behold but those Rosewood cups are just sexy. 

The TH600's are not your typical bass head headphones. They are insanely accurate and engaging headphones that will bring you right to the front row of your favorite artist. They are closed cans but not really because they don't isolate very well but the ending result is definitely worth it. You get much larger soundstage than the LCD's, more and better bass responses, and the mids are just as good if not better. 

My thoughts and opinions about my LCD 2's are still very high but when you lose every category that matters its hard to look at them in the same light. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #1,064 of 3,438
Well and that's the thing, I was the same way you are now before I heard the TH600's. I thought yah, of course they are good but no way they will be better than my LCD's. I figured they were just upgraded versions of my D5000's (never should have sold btw). I was right and wrong. They are upgraded versions of the D5000's which is a great thing, and they are literally better in every way than the LCD's outside of looks and thats not a knock on the TH600's which are a site to behold but those Rosewood cups are just sexy. 

The TH600's are not your typical bass head headphones. They are insanely accurate and engaging headphones that will bring you right to the front row of your favorite artist. They are closed cans but not really because they don't isolate very well but the ending result is definitely worth it. You get much larger soundstage than the LCD's, more and better bass responses, and the mids are just as good if not better. 

My thoughts and opinions about my LCD 2's are still very high but when you lose every category that matters its hard to look at them in the same light. 

Thanks,

:evil:

What about the timbre and tonality of the th600s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back