Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Dec 10, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3,032 of 3,438
Dec 10, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #3,034 of 3,438
  Okay sweet!, I'm getting them tomorrow. Whats the street value of these? got them for around 300$ on craigslist

JEEZ.
$300?
>.<
Street value used is around $450, don't know anymore b/c of the Massdrop THX00, though.
There's probably better options than the Monoprice amp if you want to drive the TH600, as it has an impedance of 25 ohms.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #3,035 of 3,438
  JEEZ.
$300?
>.<
Street value used is around $450, don't know anymore b/c of the Massdrop THX00, though.
There's probably better options than the Monoprice amp if you want to drive the TH600, as it has an impedance of 25 ohms.

Would it make a noticeable difference if i did get a dac/amp upgrade? Kind of on a budget since I'm a college student >.< If i were to upgrade most i would spend, is probaby $150ish if it really did make a big difference.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #3,036 of 3,438
  Would it make a noticeable difference if i did get a dac/amp upgrade? Kind of on a budget since I'm a college student >.< If i were to upgrade most i would spend, is probaby $150ish if it really did make a big difference.

No.
Stick with the Monoprice if you already have it.  I thought you were planning on buying a new amp to drive your TH600.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #3,038 of 3,438
  Yeah, i currently own the Monoprice. Maybe i can get a O2 in the future and use the monoprice as a dac ?

I would save up until you can get something in the $300+ range or a pair of nice iems.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #3,040 of 3,438

Look at a LH Labs Geek Out. I am currently using the 720 version and I am happy with this until my next toy. Just waiting for my desktop version from LH. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #3,043 of 3,438
Well my THX00s have been playing for a couple days and they've calmed down considerably. Comparing them to my TH600 and D7000, first there is not a huge difference in any of these headphones. The D7000 might be the most balanced through mids and highs. The 600 is tipped and slightly slightly harsher in upper mids. But easily rectified with 1 or 2db EQ reduction. The X00 is very smooth and pleasant and as designed is slightly down on treble but mids are slightly better. Quick A/B comparison with these 3 doesnt give a true picture. Wait a minute or so then try each headphone and theyre all very good. The bass is almost exactly the same in all 3 IMO. U could pick your poison and be happy with either of these. I only listened thru my home rig with the Bryston BHA-1 amp. I very seldom do portable and when I do I use the Shure IEMs or small Denon D1001s. I NEVER wear IEMs while riding my bikes. Too distracting.
One last thing, if the treble is bothersome simply lower the volume a bit and wait. Your ears will adjust and they all sound great.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #3,044 of 3,438
Well my THX00s have been playing for a couple days and they've calmed down considerably. Comparing them to my TH600 and D7000, first there is not a huge difference in any of these headphones. The D7000 might be the most balanced through mids and highs. The 600 is tipped and slightly slightly harsher in upper mids. But easily rectified with 1 or 2db EQ reduction. The X00 is very smooth and pleasant and as designed is slightly down on treble but mids are slightly better. Quick A/B comparison with these 3 doesnt give a true picture. Wait a minute or so then try each headphone and theyre all very good. The bass is almost exactly the same in all 3 IMO. U could pick your poison and be happy with either of these. I only listened thru my home rig with the Bryston BHA-1 amp. I very seldom do portable and when I do I use the Shure IEMs or small Denon D1001s. I NEVER wear IEMs while riding my bikes. Too distracting.
One last thing, if the treble is bothersome simply lower the volume a bit and wait. Your ears will adjust and they all sound great.

That makes results from testing even more unreliable.  A human's capability for remembering what something sounds like decreases DRASTICALLY after a few seconds.  Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoic_memory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back