Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Aug 18, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2,866 of 3,438
I just tried the shelf-liner mod and it made a difference. It really cuts down on the sibilance; especially the S's in vocals. It feels almost like a pop filter for headphones.

I am a little worried that the liner i used is a bit too restrictive though:

I can't really tell if there was any loss of resolution, but what I do know is that I can listen to more pop songs loudly without fatigue than before.

I also toyed around with shaping it differently to make it less restrictive:

As you can see, i cut off parts of the circle to let through more of the sound. It sounded fine, but the difference was just too subtle from stock, so i went back to the full circle shape. I'll try this out for a week to see if I miss the extra treble. And btw, in case you're wondering, these are TH600 headphones with TH900 cups.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #2,867 of 3,438
I ordered a couple of different variants on Amazon last night to try. I also plan to hit Harbor Freight and Home Depot this weekend to pick up 2-3 more options.

I imagine the shape, thickness, etc. all impact sound in some way. I grabbed the rug pad recommended for HD800s and Con-Tact shelf liner, both in a roughly square pattern.

I live in the same area as one of the dudes on the site I can't name who does lots of measurements, so I might try to go to his place and measure the frequency response of different options.

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #2,869 of 3,438
If you've actually listened Th-900 and didn't like it, then you won't like the TH600 either, and vice versa. Your comment didn't make clear whether you listened to it or simply read up about it. 

Quote:
If you found the highs/treble harsh on the TH-900 then the TH-600 might not be right for you as they are fairly close in sound signatures.  I tried a TH-900 and found that the TH-600 gave me 98% of the TH-900 for 50% of the cost and as gorgeous as those cups are on the TH-900 I could see them getting scratch too easily.  The highs of the TH-900 are smoother and more extended than the TH-600 but it was not something that is easily noticeable.

Bullsht

I had my TH600s, then sold my TH600s, bought TH900s and sold them the very day.
900s are insanely bright, they're too bassy, and one feels as if put into a honeypot, or sugar syrop.
I ended up buying TH600s once again and these are my favourite headphones of all the current headphones on the market.

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #2,870 of 3,438

Bullsht

900s are insanely bright, they're too bassy, and one feels as if put into a honeypot, or sugar syrop.
I ended up buying TH600s once again and these are my favourite headphones of all the current headphones on the market.

That's a lot of criticism for a flagship headphone.
I glanced somewhere on something about Lawton mods for them, supposedly they fix a lot of issues & are also available for the TH600.

Beside the shelf liner how much of a difference do the Lawton earpads & wooden chamber replacements do to the sound?

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #2,871 of 3,438

I glanced somewhere on something about Lawton mods for them, supposedly they fix a lot of issues & are also available for the TH600.

Beside the shelf liner how much of a difference do the Lawton earpads & wooden chamber replacements do to the sound?

I can't speak to the wooden cups, but the earpads:

1. Make them even more comfortable, especially for people with bigger ears (like me)
  2. Improve the soundstage a fair bit
  3. Bring the mids forward some (probably because of the next two points)
  4. Reduce listening fatigue a smidge
  5. Reduce the impact you physically feel from bass (this is the reason I have my new pair listed for sale)

They actually do quite a bit to improve the sound overall, with the single caveat being the reduction in bass being something I specifically don't want (while others do). According to those who have both, the pads do more than the cups.

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #2,872 of 3,438
Aug 18, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #2,873 of 3,438

Bullsht

Not to call you out or anything but my impressions on hearing the TH-900 and TH-600 back to back on the same setup had the highs of the TH-900 smoother and more extended than the TH-600.  Also, I tried a second TH-900 and it was very similar to the first, could you have had a defective TH-900?  Also, everyone hears differently so that is another possibility as to different impressions from different people.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #2,874 of 3,438
  I ordered a couple of different variants on Amazon last night to try. I also plan to hit Harbor Freight and Home Depot this weekend to pick up 2-3 more options.

I imagine the shape, thickness, etc. all impact sound in some way. I grabbed the rug pad recommended for HD800s and Con-Tact shelf liner, both in a roughly square pattern.

I live in the same area as one of the dudes on the site I can't name who does lots of measurements, so I might try to go to his place and measure the frequency response of different options.

I'm looking forward to your findings. I think the liner i used may be a too restrictive. I finding myself missing some of that upper end treble already. Just sounds a little too dull now. I'm thinking my liner would better on the D2000 where sibilance is a real problem.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #2,875 of 3,438

I also toyed around with shaping it differently to make it less restrictive:

As you can see, i cut off parts of the circle to let through more of the sound. It sounded fine, but the difference was just too subtle from stock, so i went back to the full circle shape. I'll try this out for a week to see if I miss the extra treble. And btw, in case you're wondering, these are TH600 headphones with TH900 cups.

Yes, in the case of less sibilant than D2k 600s, that would work as would different densities of the liner if you find it takes down too much of the high-end. You can get very thin liner and wider spaced hole liner out there.

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #2,876 of 3,438

I didn't like Lawton mod and I had Level I on both of them.
On TH600 it recessed bass impact and it became less fun, on TH900 I didn't notice any difference.
I find the Lawton pads uncomfortable due to their stiffness.

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #2,877 of 3,438

Not to call you out or anything but my impressions on hearing the TH-900 and TH-600 back to back on the same setup had the highs of the TH-900 smoother and more extended than the TH-600.  Also, I tried a second TH-900 and it was very similar to the first, could you have had a defective TH-900?  Also, everyone hears differently so that is another possibility as to different impressions from different people.

I think my TH900s were fine and I'd prefer TH600s any day of the week.
TH900s are too mellow and warm for my taste.

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #2,878 of 3,438
  I have tried both the FAD Pandora hope VI and the TH600, actually they were both on my list before I got my TH600. If you are looking for excellent bass, you look no further than the TH600 (or the TH900 if you have the money). It probably has the best bass of all the headphones you listed above. The TH600 also has a awesome soundstage, a fun V-shaped signature and a recessed bass (my only complaint). On the other hand, the FAD will give you a V-shapeds signature too, but it has a less recessed mid that gives it a more engaging signiture. However, the biggest deal-breaker for myself when I chose between the two headphones was comfort!! The TH600 is super comfortable, but the FAD Pandora VI was way too heavy! I was physically exhausted after 30 mins of having it on my head.

That is the story of how I got my TH600, lol.
You should try both of them if you have the chance since the Pandora VI has a wonderful signature that is great as well!

Thanks roguepp88, I missed the heavy part in my research. The VI is 480 grams vs 490 for my LCD 2's. I alleviated my LCD 2's weight somewhat with a headphone strap from member Lohb. I assume you meant recessed mids in your post...

My only concern with the TH600's is that they are not as muddy as the Denon AH-D2000. I would want them to have more clarity in the mids with a little more controlled bass, and sparkly highs.

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #2,879 of 3,438

Thanks roguepp88, I missed the heavy part in my research. The VI is 480 grams vs 490 for my LCD 2's. I alleviated my LCD 2's weight somewhat with a headphone strap from member Lohb. I assume you meant recessed mids in your post...

My only concern with the TH600's is that they are not as muddy as the Denon AH-D2000. I would want them to have more clarity in the mids with a little more controlled bass, and sparkly highs.

Yes, I meant recessed mid indeed.

The TH600 is not as muddy as the Denon for sure,
In fact it is known to have a extremely great clarity.
All the characteristics you are looking for are the strengths of the TH600 indeed!
You should definitely go and test out the TH-600,
I am sure you will love it!!

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #2,880 of 3,438
Really like the Cont-Tact shelf liner mod on these babies. I matched the grid pattern to the existing grill's angle. It definitely helps just a touch with sibilance, which is really all these need after they're fully burned in. I've tried all the songs I can think of that normally have bad sibilance--anyone have suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back