Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jun 7, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #2,716 of 3,438

I was planning to use them at home mostly so as long as it isolates some, it should be good to go! Thanks for the details :) TH600 looks to be a good buy, considering you are getting much of the TH900 performance for significantly less money.

Oh wow thank you. Not sure if this was directed at me, but if it was thanks so much :) Problem is I wont be able to use open backs too often as I listen at night when everyone else is sleeping. There don't seem to be too many really high quality warm or somewhat bassy headphones at this price. I have my share of neutral and balanced sounding gear so I want to get something that is really refined while being warm and musical and fun. This was near the top of my list so I will be looking at other alternatives :)  However if I see a used pair in F/S section I might consider that too!

Am just looking for something that goes well with top 40 music and EDM and the like but still very refined.

I would wait for Sennheiser HD 630 VB to be released before buying anything else. Jude said it was a direct competitor to TH600. It has variable bass so you can turn it down to audiophile level or increase it to basshead level. Still though, I hope Fostex releases a new version of TH600 as TH900 is very expensive for most people.

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #2,717 of 3,438
Was wondering if anyone could suggest or currently own a headphone case that is able to fit the TH600, I have not received my pair yet, but am looking for a case to carry them around in a backpack or messenger bag.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #2,718 of 3,438
  Was wondering if anyone could suggest or currently own a headphone case that is able to fit the TH600, I have not received my pair yet, but am looking for a case to carry them around in a backpack or messenger bag.

I have a Slapp Hardbody Pro that does the trick, just need to slide the headband to the smallest position..

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #2,720 of 3,438
I absolutely can comment on their quality. The TH600 and AH-D7000 are very comparable. I mean, VERY comparable. They share basically 100% of the technical hardware, the TH600 has metal cups, the d7000 has wood, but they honestly sound REALLY similar, as someone who has both of them sitting pretty close to me. v. v. v. slight differences in sound, mostly way more identical than all the people doing custom chambers would be comfortable admitting. 

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #2,722 of 3,438
  I absolutely can comment on their quality. The TH600 and AH-D7000 are very comparable. I mean, VERY comparable. They share basically 100% of the technical hardware, the TH600 has metal cups, the d7000 has wood, but they honestly sound REALLY similar, as someone who has both of them sitting pretty close to me. v. v. v. slight differences in sound, mostly way more identical than all the people doing custom chambers would be comfortable admitting. 

Thanks, but I was hoping to hear about the cable quality in particular. One of the biggest jumps in quality (aside from the wood cups) from the D2000 to the D5000 was in the makeup of the cable. So I'm wondering how the TH600 fared in this regard.

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #2,723 of 3,438
  Can anyone comment on the cable quality of the TH-600 or how they compare to the cables on the D2000/5000/7000?

I'm thinking of have a recable done to them with the detachable mod.

I've installed SMC connectors on my TH-600 and us the cables that I've made for my other Hifiman headphones.  I build my cables with Canare, Mogami and Cardas wires.  The cable that the TH-600 comes with is actually not bad, I've re-used it with mini XLR connectors for use with my DT-990 premium that I modded and the sound is the same as with the Cardas cable that I made for my LCD-2f.

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #2,724 of 3,438
How Dt990 compare to these? Anyone can tell me? In future i plan to upgrade to th600. I want ultimate movies and gaming(immersive gaming) cans, and with what i read th600 and th900 have it all. Great soundstage, imaging, clarity and sub bass capabilities that only closed dynamics have. Thanks.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #2,725 of 3,438
How Dt990 compare to these? Anyone can tell me? In future i plan to upgrade to th600. I want ultimate movies and gaming(immersive gaming) cans, and with what i read th600 and th900 have it all. Great soundstage, imaging, clarity and sub bass capabilities that only closed dynamics have. Thanks.

The TH-600 have a different sound signature from the DT-990, the DT-990 is more treble oriented with a wider sound stage while the TH-600 has more bass and a slightly less wide sound stage.  Note that the TH-600 is not completely closed, they will leak some sound.  I think the HD-700 is a better choice for watching movies and gaming due to the wider sound stage and clarity.  Properly driven (project ember) the HD-700 does have good bass which is tight, and goes low IMO.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #2,726 of 3,438

The TH600 is semi-closed, so I think the openess you get from DT990 is slightly better, but the bass quality and quantity is so much better for the TH600 that I think the TH600 should be better for movies and games for sure. Plus, the TH600 is no slouch in its soundstage either, overall TH600 is definitely a step up from the DT900, if you disregard the price difference.

The HD700 is good as well, but I found it a bit too lean for my taste, you should go and try all of them out and see which one suits you best.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #2,727 of 3,438
The TH600 is semi-closed, so I think the openess you get from DT990 is slightly better, but the bass quality and quantity is so much better for the TH600 that I think the TH600 should be better for movies and games for sure. Plus, the TH600 is no slouch in its soundstage either, overall TH600 is definitely a step up from the DT900, if you disregard the price difference.

The HD700 is good as well, but I found it a bit too lean for my taste, you should go and try all of them out and see which one suits you best.
Thanks friend, i can loose a bit of soundstage, but dont want to lose bass. I compare dt990 vs my hd 8 dj and 8 dj totaly destroys dt990 when it come to bass on movies! Much beter sub bass and much more impactull! Open headpones in general dont have that rumbling bass that is needed for me in movies. Show me headpones that has bass as hd 8 dj, clarity and oppenes similiar to dt990. Cant find any besides Fostex line:frowning2:.

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #2,730 of 3,438
And how about build quality of th600? I heard bad things about the build of th600, i dont want to spend my hard earned money on cheapish made cans.

I wouldn't say the TH600s have bad build quality.  But there is a Achilles heel to speak of.  The headband has a weak point at the cup pivot that you should pay attention to.  The 2 screws are prone to loosening, and once apart are very difficult to get together.  That's an "if", and not necessarily an issue for everyone, and not for me.  This "design flaw" goes back to the Denons that Fostex made as well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back