Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Apr 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2,103 of 3,438
TH600 is beautiful :)

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,104 of 3,438
They're so discrete and elegant

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #2,105 of 3,438
  I just joined the club by ordering a pair, and I'm quite excited.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm wondering what portable solutions owners are currently using to drive these?  I have a CLAS-db/RX Mk3 stack, and a HiFi-M8 which I figure will both do them justice.

Also, has anyone here recabled the TH600s for balanced use?

Going back to this question, I am also a new TH600 owner and would like to know what people think about rewiring options. I know the stock cables are "good enough", but please bear with me. Have any of you recabled your pair? Which cables did you go with? I am looking at the Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 cables as a potential choice.

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #2,107 of 3,438
I doubt if this would get by most of the freaky extreme TH600 lovers that inhabit this thread BUT I noticed one of my earpads was rotated 90 degrees. It was easy to correct and this improved sound and comfort. Don't know how it got that way.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #2,109 of 3,438
Please can any owner of the th600 tell me how is the sibilance on the following track.(beat it by MJ)
This is one of the tracks I use to test sibilance and
I'm curious to know how this can behave at normal listening volume and at a below too loud volume...

about 48 seconds in you can hear the potential sibilance point (...."So Beat it..")

Any help will be appreciated. 
PS: if you own a better version than this youtube clip you are welcome to test it.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #2,110 of 3,438
  Waiting for the future impressions. 

beerchug.gif

1st thoughts

first time satisfied with soundstage/imaging(first wow on soundstage)
detailed
crisp and clean
bright
bass textured/tight tastefull/less impact than expected(song dependent for impact)
not hollow even though bright/wide/deep
not wet
needs eq muscle
mids not totally recessed
sounds its current price worth(799)

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #2,111 of 3,438
  1st thoughts

detailed
crisp and clean
bright
bass textured/tight tastefull/less impact than expected(song dependent for impact)
not wet
needs eq muscle

I find them a lot of fun, they get a whole lot more head time then my Crack/hd600. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #2,113 of 3,438
  interesting as a cracks+peedball is on its way but I lost interest. Do you have the speedball upgrade?

Haven't gotten that far yet, hopefully it will speed things up a bit. The TH600 just seems faster, lighter, and airier. I just built the Crack a week ago, so maybe it needs some time for the tubes to burn in. The Crack/HD600 combo seems smoother and dare I say a bit syrupy in comparison.

Running the Fostex off of an old Rudistor NX-02, it seems to match very well, though the only thing I had to compare it to was the Fostex with an 80's era Marantz receiver. With the Marantz/Fostex setup the bass was a bit boomy.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #2,114 of 3,438
  1st thoughts

detailed
crisp and clean
bright
not wet
needs eq muscle

Do you find the treble rough/ragged in comparison to any other cans you have had ? That is my only worry, having to deal with any treble spikes....

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #2,115 of 3,438

Do you find the treble rough/ragged in comparison to any other cans you have had ? That is my only worry, having to deal with any treble spikes....

It is spikier or rougher than a number of other cans. It has a prominent treble spike which has been measured and I agree with my listening. The treble spike doesn't seem to bother on some recordings but on plenty of ones with cymbal work or noises during movies where glass breaks for example its quite etched/sharp.

The HD600 is smoother, so is the HE500 and Alpha Dog.

However it also has a somewhat elevated bass response, pretty strong compared to many purely audiophile cans but not nearly as powerful as many bassheads cans. The mids a somewhat recessed if you compare to cans like the HD600, HE500, LCD models or even Alpha Dog and JVC DX1000 - but not massively so. The only offending dip in the response as I've said in the past is a dip somewhere in the lower midrange that makes them sound dry and thin to my ears with some vocals, guitars, basses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back