Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Mar 30, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #2,041 of 3,438
It's going to be hard picking between HD800 and the Fostex for electronic music now. The HD800 flat out beat the Hifiman and Audeze planars for trance, deep house, hip hop....just about everything. 

How does the comfort of the Fostex compare to HD800? Also, are the mids on the TH-600/TH-900 recessed a bit too much?

Mar 30, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #2,042 of 3,438
It's going to be hard picking between HD800 and the Fostex for electronic music now. The HD800 flat out beat the Hifiman and Audeze planars for trance, deep house, hip hop....just about everything. 

How does the comfort of the Fostex compare to HD800? Also, are the mids on the TH-600/TH-900 recessed a bit too much?

I am very or picky about the headphone comfort.

Hd800 and th900 are both equally comfortable. If I had to live with one I will pick HD800 due to the open design.

Open headphones give me more air circulation and doesn't get warm as closed one.

Don't get me wrong TH900 doesn't trap any heat, and its doesnt get warm like audiotechnicas.

Why not get both? :)

Mar 30, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #2,043 of 3,438
I am very or picky about the headphone comfort.

Hd800 and th900 are both equally comfortable. If I had to live with one I will pick HD800 due to the open design.

Open headphones give me more air circulation and doesn't get warm as closed one.

Don't get me wrong TH900 doesn't trap any heat, and its doesnt get warm like audiotechnicas.

Why not get both?
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL That is my ultimate plan. One open and one closed. It's just that with all the money spent on new DAC/controller and monitors, I can't get them both at the same time. I'll have to get them one after another. On top of that, I want another pair of monitors for my desktop. So which one to get first I suppose.

I too have gotten quite picky about the comfort nowadays. Not willing to sacrifice at all in any of the categories. How's the clamping force on TH-900. I find that the D2000s sometimes slip off I'm leaning while watching something on the bed for example. Regardless, all of these are more comfortable than Audeze or Hifiman. I put on a Hifiman yesterday after a year and immediately knew I made the right decision selling my HE-500. The comfort alone makes planars a no go this time around.

From my time with HD800, I don't think they would slip off had I titled my head.

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #2,044 of 3,438
The mad dogs were too bass light with bass that didn't extend very far and bass impact somewhat weak. The mad dogs of have thicker , lusher sounding mids than the TH600 which in comparison sounds thin. I wouldn't say the TH600s mids are recessed. They just sound thinner than orthos in comparison.

About recessed mids...
I see you own/owned the Vsonic GR07BE, do you perceive the mids on the Vsonics as recessed mids?
Is it more or less recessed on the TH600?

I perceive the mids on the gr07be to be SLIGHTLY recessed, 96/97% of 100% volume I'd like it to be, of course its more perceivable on rock/indie/vocal/acoustic/pop... kind of music but I still find it recessed.

If its not the Vsonic gr07be kinda of recessed but just a part of the midrange spectrum more or less prominent which part is it?

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #2,045 of 3,438

If it weren't for that veiled/muffled sound, I think I'd prefer the the LCD-2.2 over the HD800 for deep-house and hip hop, but I see where you're coming from. A properly amped HD800 is a thing of beauty.

Having said that, the Fostex TH cans remain my favourites for bassy music, especially the dubbier genres that like that bit of reverb in the sub-bass, while still retaining open-headphone levels of airiness. They're the only cans that give me that sub-like punch in the gut when it comes to bass response. No idea how Fostex does it.

Comfort wise, the TH600/900 and HD800 are at the top. Both equally comfortable on my head. The HD-800 probably has a slight edge, simply because their pads can breathe a bit more in very warm weather and it's a few grams lighter. The open vs closed thing doesn't really play a part with comfort, me thinks.

As for mid-range "recession", it really depends on the listener. Some aren't that bothered by it, some can't live with it, and some love it. I actually find very forward higher/upper mids rather offensive and tiring, tbh - like with the LCD-XC I auditioned some months ago - but I've noticed that many people that listen to geezer rock bands and chick-with-guitar music tend to prefer that sort of presentation. Horses for courses, as they say. Amplification plays a part, obviously.

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #2,046 of 3,438

If it weren't for that veiled/muffled sound, I think I'd prefer the the LCD-2.2 over the HD800 for deep-house and hip hop, but I see where you're coming from. A properly amped HD800 is a thing of beauty.

Having said that, the Fostex TH cans remain my favourites for bassy music, especially the dubbier genres that like that bit of reverb in the sub-bass, while still retaining open-headphone levels of airiness. They're the only cans that give me that sub-like punch in the gut when it comes to bass response. No idea how Fostex does it.

Comfort wise, the TH600/900 and HD800 are at the top. Both equally comfortable on my head. The HD-800 probably has a slight edge, simply because their pads can breathe a bit more in very warm weather and it's a few grams lighter. The open vs closed thing doesn't really play a part with comfort, me thinks.

As for mid-range "recession", it really depends on the listener. Some aren't that bothered by it, some can't live with it, and some love it. I actually find very forward higher/upper mids rather offensive and tiring, tbh - like with the LCD-XC I auditioned some months ago - but I've noticed that many people that listen to geezer rock bands and chick-with-guitar music tend to prefer that sort of presentation. Horses for courses, as they say. Amplification plays a part, obviously.

I actually preferred the LCD-2 for electronic stuff over LCD-3 and HE-500. Never fatiguing and had a nice slam. Personally, I'd have recessed mids (or slightly held back) over warm stuff on a headphone. Too much mids and vocals become fatiguing and prevent me from being able to listen to the room ambience. It sucks out the air and life out on headphones...sometimes like my Marantz stuff. Although the same thing is reversed on speakers...it's a bit of a weird thing I got going on.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #2,047 of 3,438
  About recessed mids...
I see you own/owned the Vsonic GR07BE, do you perceive the mids on the Vsonics as recessed mids?
Is it more or less recessed on the TH600?

I perceive the mids on the gr07be to be SLIGHTLY recessed, 96/97% of 100% volume I'd like it to be, of course its more perceivable on rock/indie/vocal/acoustic/pop... kind of music but I still find it recessed.

If its not the Vsonic gr07be kinda of recessed but just a part of the midrange spectrum more or less prominent which part is it?

I wouldn't say the mids are recessed on the TH600s. They are as forward as my HE500s or my HD600s. Its just that the TH600s sound a bit thinner in comparison or you could say the HE500 and the HD600s mids are more thicker and lush

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #2,048 of 3,438
  I wouldn't say the mids are recessed on the TH600s. They are as forward as my HE500s or my HD600s. Its just that the TH600s sound a bit thinner in comparison or you could say the HE500 and the HD600s mids are more thicker and lush

Thanks,
Did you find the mids recessed on the Vsonics?

I am on the fence right now.
My current closed headphone is the Sony mdr7520, really liking them but I am looking for something less dark with a bit of sparkle in the treble and bigger soundstage, at least the same impact-full bass response, a better layering .
I think that this one could do the trick, but I really don't want to be disappointed,
oh boy I didn't know it would be so difficult to upgrade a closed headphone from an already very good headphone. tough decision.

Does someone here own the th600 and the 7520 and could tell me what their differences how different are the bass, mids, treble between the two?
How different is the overall sound presentation between one an the other?

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,049 of 3,438
Thanks,
Did you find the mids recessed on the Vsonics?

I am on the fence right now.
My current closed headphone is the Sony mdr7520, really liking them but I am looking for something less dark with a bit of sparkle in the treble and bigger soundstage, at least the same impact-full bass response, a better layering .
I think that this one could do the trick, but I really don't want to be disappointed,
oh boy I didn't know it would be so difficult to upgrade a closed headphone from an already very good headphone. tough decision.

Does someone here own the th600 and the 7520 and could tell me what their differences how different are the bass, mids, treble between the two?
How different is the overall sound presentation between one an the other?

Yes the vsonics are a touch recessed in the mids

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #2,050 of 3,438

I actually preferred the LCD-2 for electronic stuff over LCD-3 and HE-500. Never fatiguing and had a nice slam. Personally, I'd have recessed mids (or slightly held back) over warm stuff on a headphone. Too much mids and vocals become fatiguing and prevent me from being able to listen to the room ambience. It sucks out the air and life out on headphones...sometimes like my Marantz stuff. Although the same thing is reversed on speakers...it's a bit of a weird thing I got going on.
biggrin.gif

100% spot on about prominent mids.

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #2,052 of 3,438

Easy answer is Alpha pads. Quick easy fit and does a great job not getting in the way of the house sound 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

hey, where can i get those without breaking my wallet? :p
my stock pads are showing signs of wear and tear

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #2,053 of 3,438

Easy answer is Alpha pads. Quick easy fit and does a great job not getting in the way of the house sound 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

hey, where can i get those without breaking my wallet? :p
my stock pads are showing signs of wear and tear

Yah, here you go 

https://mrspeakers.com/product/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #2,054 of 3,438
I just joined the club by ordering a pair, and I'm quite excited.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm wondering what portable solutions owners are currently using to drive these?  I have a CLAS-db/RX Mk3 stack, and a HiFi-M8 which I figure will both do them justice.

Also, has anyone here recabled the TH600s for balanced use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back