Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Nov 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #1,517 of 3,438
That's the kind of info I'm looking for.  Actually, the HD700 had better bass, was overall faster and more extended but I found them a little fatiguing over time.  Don't get me wrong, I really liked the HE500. I would have been perfectly happy with the combo until I heard the HD800 at a Toronto HiFi Meet which totally blew me away. I should have stopped with that system.  Anyway, sounds like the TH600 may be my next HP.

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #1,519 of 3,438
I auditioned the TH600 a couple of months ago, spending most of the time I had it comparing it against my D7000 (with Lawton mods and his angle pads) and honestly could not tell them apart. Clones of each other, and yes, the Denon had mods. Now I just bought a TH900 and with CD's feeding into a vintage amp there IS a difference. Not huge but it is there.

Exactly why I am waiting to get a TH900 at a good price to replace my D7000, as much as I love it.

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,520 of 3,438

I was never saying the TH600 aren't awesome headphones for the money,
actually I was just saying that for me, with a D7000, they wouldn't really be an upgrade. They would be a sidegrade if anything if not a downgrade. That's why I said I would pay 700 extra for the TH900.

I think you'd find th600 a fair upgrade going by many peoples opinions whove had d7k / tried both. There are some comparisons earlier in this thread. But if you want to spend twice as much by all means
smily_headphones1.gif

There are people who prefer the 600 to 900 even; sometimes its not a matter of 'better' but a matter of preference.

Bullseye...

Its not always about price. I actually like my JVC HA S500's more than a lot of different expensive cans and I found a vintage amp that I like more than any other amp I've ever heard and I got it for $175. I've heard some really really good and expensive amps out there but nothing comes close to my vintage Pioneer. Sound is subjective and only way to truly know is to try it for yourselves. That being said the TH600's are far and away my favorite headphones and with the prices coming down its a no brainer for me. They are expensive but easily could be the last headphones I own (Ha not happening) for a long long time because they do exactly what I want and fit me perfectly! I have no desire to "upgrade" to the TH900 no matter how great they may be I really have no need to own them because of how happy I am with the TH600's. My secondary pair is the Philips X1 and I know the HE-500's are great compliments but to me the X1's are a jack of all trades and the most comfortable cans I've ever had so their flexibility is perfect for me so with these two I'm good to go for quite a while. I may try some other random cans but until them I'm good to go! 

To each his own right people. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,521 of 3,438
How is the cable on the th600? I had Denon d2000 and the cable was the worst. From all the photos they seem to all share the same cable.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,522 of 3,438
Forgot to mention my $40 HifimeDIY Sabre DAC. Love it 
beerchug.gif

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,523 of 3,438
How is the cable on the th600? I had Denon d2000 and the cable was the worst. From all the photos they seem to all share the same cable.

Basically the same. That's the weakness in my mind of these Fostex based design and has been for years. My TH900 has a great aftermarket one that is so soft and flexible (q French silk) - he made a great choice.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #1,524 of 3,438
Bullseye...

Its not always about price. I actually like my JVC HA S500's more than a lot of different expensive cans and I found a vintage amp that I like more than any other amp I've ever heard and I got it for $175. I've heard some really really good and expensive amps out there but nothing comes close to my vintage Pioneer. Sound is subjective and only way to truly know is to try it for yourselves. That being said the TH600's are far and away my favorite headphones and with the prices coming down its a no brainer for me. They are expensive but easily could be the last headphones I own (Ha not happening) for a long long time because they do exactly what I want and fit me perfectly! I have no desire to "upgrade" to the TH900 no matter how great they may be I really have no need to own them because of how happy I am with the TH600's. My secondary pair is the Philips X1 and I know the HE-500's are great compliments but to me the X1's are a jack of all trades and the most comfortable cans I've ever had so their flexibility is perfect for me so with these two I'm good to go for quite a while. I may try some other random cans but until them I'm good to go! 

To each his own right people. 

Thanks,

:evil:

Hmm, TH600, X1, and HE500...the three I own (just ordered the 500). Great minds :D

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #1,525 of 3,438
Hmm, TH600, X1, and HE500...the three I own (just ordered the 500). Great minds
biggrin.gif

I've owned the HE-400/500/6 -- how would you compare the sound of the X1 and TH600 to the HE-500? As easy to drive? 

Also, what are you opinions on the Fostex? Seems like the TH600 just had a price drop and was wondering why that might have been. I am wondering if the difference between the 600/900 is justifiable?

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,526 of 3,438
I've owned the HE-400/500/6 -- how would you compare the sound of the X1 and TH600 to the HE-500? As easy to drive? 

Also, what are you opinions on the Fostex? Seems like the TH600 just had a price drop and was wondering why that might have been. I am wondering if the difference between the 600/900 is justifiable?

With 500 I love the mids and the planar bass. The TH600 is a bit U shaped, so vocals can be recessed compared to the 500. But it has a really wonderful quality to the bass and treble. Its sub bass presentation is extremely impressive for a dynamic. The X1 sounds somewhat similar to the 600, without the sub bass, and with the treble rolled off in comparison. It's certainly not as detailed, but for a fun set that's extremely comfortable, it's well worth the price. The X1 and 600 are easy to drive compared to the 500. IMO the 900 was not worth premium over the 600 in sound. I've actually come to love the look of the 600 as well. And for me, I really didn't like the added weight of the 900, due to the cups.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #1,527 of 3,438
There are too many caveats to the hifimans for me to like them anymore even if the he500 sounds much better than the 400. Too heavy (especially since 500s are heavier than 400s), **** uncomfy headband, need beefy amping to sound good, terrible stock cable. If the choice between two awesome sounding headphones I'm going to pick the lighter comfier sexier one 95℅ of the time. The other big one is soundstage; the fostex is miles better than the he400 and if the he500 are anywhere similar (they are from what I've read), that is pretty pathetic for an open headphone to get bested by a closed (OK, semi open). Same goes for Audeze's there.

A complimentary sound sig is always nice for certain genres so I can see the benefit of he500 for that but really we need a light comfortable, open airy planar that still sounds good. The upcoming Fostex new RP open planar could fit that bill but its rumoured to be in a high price bracket.

PS. Fostex made in Japan, hifiman made in China nuff said ::grinning: Lol jk

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #1,528 of 3,438
There are too many caveats to the hifimans for me to like them anymore even if the he500 sounds much better than the 400. Too heavy (especially since 500s are heavier than 400s), **** uncomfy headband, need beefy amping to sound good, terrible stock cable. If the choice between two awesome sounding headphones I'm going to pick the lighter comfier sexier one 95℅ of the time. The other big one is soundstage; the fostex is miles better than the he400 and if the he500 are anywhere similar (they are from what I've read), that is pretty pathetic for an open headphone to get bested by a closed (OK, semi open). Same goes for Audeze's there.

A complimentary sound sig is always nice for certain genres so I can see the benefit of he500 for that but really we need a light comfortable, open airy planar that still sounds good. The upcoming Fostex new RP open planar could fit that bill but its rumoured to be in a high price bracket.

PS. Fostex made in Japan, hifiman made in China nuff said ::grinning: Lol jk

Yep, my thoughts exactly, the narrow soundstage and lack of separation got too claustrophobic for me, but I think the 2 are great compliment headphones to own,  the next on my "buy" list is the LCD-XC actually, looking forward to the more intimate presentation of the planars.

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #1,529 of 3,438
Haha, the Beyer T1 is also a semi closed and its soundstage smokes most open headphones as well. I like the HE-500 and LCD2 for small ensemble jazz, acoustic live gigs and also Rock and classic Metal music. I don't feel that the soundstage needs to be all too big for these things. Anything else and my other headphones are much preferred.

But yeah the LCD2 sounds very intimate compared to others with most genres, best suited for albums that don't rely on space or impressive soundscaping. Classical sounds honky on it for me, like a calamity of sound.

I've heard the Hifiman HE-4 is the most airy of the Hifiman planars. Personally in my experience the HE-500 amping power requirements are often very overstated, many will want to argue with me here so all I will say is that I'm within the objective crowd (from personal blind testing + scientific study) when it comes to SS amps and the idea of headphones "Scaling" with power/quality ~ ignore this part if you think otherwise.

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #1,530 of 3,438
I'm one of those that really liked the LCD-2's presentation. It did more for me than the technically superior LCD-3 ever did. Reminded me of dark dingy jazz/acid-jazz bars I used to go to in the early morning hours, after a night at the disco. That smallish soundstage and slight veil actually did well in "simulating" the smokey air of a bar. Speaking in past-tense here because I (reluctantly) had to sell it due to the discomfort on my head.

The TH900 (and TH600 to some extent) is more like a medium-sized, semi-posh nightclub or loft. There's a hint of sparkly air-freshener, the bass is bloomier. Slightly less intimate, a bit more vivid. The ceiling is higher and (if you manage to troll the DJ console to check out the record collection) there's quite a bit of depth gained from looking down at the dancefloor. Not the widest venue, but still enough space to allow people to have sex in the darker corners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back