Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jul 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #721 of 3,438
Quote:

Very interesting... Might have to pick up the TH-600s to do further listening. I love my TH-900s enough to try the TH-600 for a workplace rig. 

I love my TH900 as well.  It is the most fun cans by far.  Just for kicks I listened to the track with the HD800 and it lacks life because the base bass is nonexistent.  The soundstage feels smaller than normal on this track and maybe a little bigger than the TH600 - I know the HD800 has great soundstage.  Just lifeless - as I would have expected so I didn't even try with these initially.

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #722 of 3,438
Quote:
I love my TH900 as well.  It is the most fun cans by far.  Just for kicks I listened to the track with the HD800 and it lacks life because the base is nonexistent.  The soundstage feels smaller than normal on this track and maybe a little bigger than the TH600 - I know the HD800 has great soundstage.  Just lifeless - as I would have expected so I didn't even try with these initially.

+1, the man speaks the truth in my experience.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #723 of 3,438
  Like this comment :)
Also notice you have DJ gear and Adam A7X monitors, AND mad dogs. Nice :)
Have you tried Mad Dogs vs TH600 for production or DJ monitoring?

I would love if someone here who has TH600s could listen to this track and sum up how the sub bass sounds from 1min and 2min onwards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJEUk-bzbw
(Great album highly recommended, awesome German Tech producer who uses a lot of analogue synths etc)

To me, my Beyers get it but clarity isn't quite there, not an 'even' sound (even if the bass note is modulating/down shifting in tone). HE-400s do a stellar job of reproducing it without dropping the volume/amount of audible bass frequencies.

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #724 of 3,438
Quote:
Some of you will probably think I'm nuts for playing out (djing) with a $850 headphone but that's really where the th-600's fit in nicely and considering the price tag of the sig. "DJ"...

I would never even take the TH600 in consideration for DJing... much too fragile, too big cups to wear them around the neck while working and most of all they don't isolate as much as other alternatives. And playing the headphones louder to overpower the PA is not an option...

Besides: I don't think the Sig DJ has much of a standing in DJ booths. IMO thats just a labelled consumer product. Price is one reason for that I'm sure, but I'd be hard pressed to name a single feature it brings to the table thats not taken care of by the usual suspects.

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #725 of 3,438
Quote:
I agree with you on what you say in general and was very surprised with the outcome.  The feed back was strictly on the track provided.  So being pumped up from liking the TH600 on this track, I listened to some other bits of music and the TH600 fell to the middle of the pact again.  The track seems to really emphasis the strengths of TH600 - like it was the very best of the paring.  The LCD3's were very good but it didn't best the TH600 on this track but with Van Morrison it's not even close... The LCD3 runs away with it hands down.

I guess it is like a very good bottle of wine pairing very will with the dish.  May not be the best bottle of wine but for some reason it pairs well in just about every aspect IMO 
atsmile.gif

Thanks for your impressions jjshin!
Sounds like the TH600s are a winner in many aspects for EDM and hopefully electronic music with low bass. Its amazing that track was such a perfect match for them too haha!
I don't want overwhelming bass (as you say the TH900 and others can be), just deep extension, present and clear. Especially over long listening sessions the TH900 might be most 'fun' but may also be fatiguing. I can't justify 2x the price if they aren't as versatile. Then again lots of treble can be fatiguing too... so I can see the potential benefits of a warmer amp

Also thanks jibzilla for your thoughts. I would like to try Mad Dogs but the fact that the bass isn't as refined or deep has me worried.
I'm not a fan of any AKG headphones I've heard either, from memory they all tended to be a bit bright and lacking in bass quantity. A bit of a generalisation though I know. I wouldn't mind hearing some Annies (or the new 712s)
I don't mind a bit of V-shape; most EDM is not focussed on mids - the melody and synths, mid bass are important but not as crucial to monitor as vocals and instruments in the midrange might be with other genres. No headphone is ever going to be 'flat' either I guess...

For DJing (which I don't do too often anymore), you want good isolation and I'm very happy with my Beyer DT1350s. Best I've come had or across for club/noisy party DJing. But you might be referring to studio DJ mixing, in which case yes open ones would do the job

Jul 3, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #726 of 3,438

I would never even take the TH600 in consideration for DJing... much too fragile, too big cups to wear them around the neck while working and most of all they don't isolate as much as other alternatives. And playing the headphones louder to overpower the PA is not an option...

Besides: I don't think the Sig DJ has much of a standing in DJ booths. IMO thats just a labelled consumer product. Price is one reason for that I'm sure, but I'd be hard pressed to name a single feature it brings to the table thats not taken care of by the usual suspects.

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #727 of 3,438
Quote:
I don't think the th-600 is fragile at all. Metal cups, lightweight, if it does fall I'm not to worried. These headphones are also easier to drive than the annies or mad dog and can handle 2 watts so you are way off saying that the headphones can't get loud enough to overpower a pa system. Most mixers will drive them to ear bleed level no problem. As long as you have the volume up they isolate pretty good imo, though they wouldn't for people with small heads I will give you that. Plus I'm one earing it most of the time anyway.

The th-600 brings much better sound and comfort than the usual suspects trust me. The pro900 is the best usual suspect though if you are on a budget.

You got me wrong on several points... First I understand that you don't consider them fragile -- otherwise you'd not be using them this way. I doubt that the jolts and expansion mechanism are up to DJ abuse. Plus double-sided cable is a no-go to me for that case.

I did not say you cannot overpower a PA (though that still depends on the PA a lot :wink: -- my point is: you _should_ not. Not with a headphone that has very little isolation. I know that the TH600 can play *much* louder than I'm willing to do next to my ears. Isolation is not defined by playing louder but by reducing the sound immissions and therefore being able to play at a lower level to avoid unnecessary strain on your ears. I wear custom molded ear protection when playing out btw.

You're not implying live DJ use for the K702 AE, aren't you? The Mad Dogs might isolate enough but are unnecessarily hard to drive for that application.

I can't imagine the TH600 being very good for one-ear listening... simply too big. How does it stay on your head while moving? It has minimal clamping which is very nice for home listening but unusable in a DJ booth. Plus I'm not DJing to enjoy the sound of my headphones... they are simply a tool that has to fulfill several needs, helping me to get music out to the audience. Which is also explains why I'm not wearing them for extended periods (I don't normally use split-cue but a monitor) so comfort is really a thing that comes very late in my consideration of different headphones for this scenario, with the DT1350 and HD25 being my personal favourites. And No: I'm definitely not on a budget :wink:

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #728 of 3,438
Quote:

You got me wrong on several points... First I understand that you don't consider them fragile -- otherwise you'd not be using them this way. I doubt that the jolts and expansion mechanism are up to DJ abuse. Plus double-sided cable is a no-go to me for that case.

I did not say you cannot overpower a PA (though that still depends on the PA a lot :wink: -- my point is: you _should_ not. Not with a headphone that has very little isolation. I know that the TH600 can play *much* louder than I'm willing to do next to my ears. Isolation is not defined by playing louder but by reducing the sound immissions and therefore being able to play at a lower level to avoid unnecessary strain on your ears. I wear custom molded ear protection when playing out btw.

You're not implying live DJ use for the K702 AE, aren't you? The Mad Dogs might isolate enough but are unnecessarily hard to drive for that application.

I can't imagine the TH600 being very good for one-ear listening... simply too big. How does it stay on your head while moving? It has minimal clamping which is very nice for home listening but unusable in a DJ booth. Plus I'm not DJing to enjoy the sound of my headphones... they are simply a tool that has to fulfill several needs, helping me to get music out to the audience. Which is also explains why I'm not wearing them for extended periods (I don't normally use split-cue but a monitor) so comfort is really a thing that comes very late in my consideration of different headphones for this scenario, with the DT1350 and HD25 being my personal favourites. And No: I'm definitely not on a budget :wink:

Spot on on all accounts. DJ headphones are designed for abuse and for SUPER isolation. As much as possible without active noise cancelling circuitry. And they are indeed a tool. Heck, if they weren't so uncomfortable/clampy I'd still be using my old Technics RP-DH1200s for DJing. They are built to cop serious abuse.
I did a 5hr set with them a few years back (outdoors, big PA), so yes sometimes long sessions do occur, but DT1350s are very comfy after head-break-in, no problems at all for extended periods for me now (and you can always take em off for a while)

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #730 of 3,438

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #731 of 3,438
Quote:

Surprised to hear that... Although I didn't care for the SigDJ when I had it, it seemed to check all the normal DJ items off very well: tank-like build, very good isolation, rotatable cups, strong bass response, very comfortable, and what I assume to be significantly better sound that some of the more entry-level headphones. The SigDJ was easily vastly better than the V-Moda M80 for example, and I've seen more DJs using V-Modas recently, at the very least. 

Anyway, not trying to go OT here, just surprised to hear this as a non-DJ myself. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #732 of 3,438
@jibzilla: don't get me wrong -- if they work for you thats of course fine with me. I'm just a bit surprised as as I myself would have never used them for that purpose (though I really like their sound signature and use them even besides my TH900).

@theogenes: I guess the SigDJ is just too expensive for normal DJ use... cheaper models work at least as well at about a third of the costs. And HD25 / DT1350 are good enough to be used outside the booth as well. While I understand several high profile DJs use the M-100 (which I do own) I'd not use it for playing out: to inflexible structure. And too much bass -- I need kick and snare for beatmatching, not deep bass. But that might just be a personal preference.

end of OT :wink:

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #733 of 3,438
  @jibzilla: don't get me wrong -- if they work for you thats of course fine with me. I'm just a bit surprised as as I myself would have never used them for that purpose (though I really like their sound signature and use them even besides my TH900).

@theogenes: I guess the SigDJ is just too expensive for normal DJ use... cheaper models work at least as well at about a third of the costs. And HD25 / DT1350 are good enough to be used outside the booth as well. While I understand several high profile DJs use the M-100 (which I do own) I'd not use it for playing out: to inflexible structure. And too much bass -- I need kick and snare for beatmatching, not deep bass. But that might just be a personal preference.

end of OT :wink:

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #734 of 3,438
Just need some help on deciding between the TH600's and the TH900's. I've recently listened to the TH600 and immediately fell in love with it. To me it sounded like a more fun version of the T1's but have the advantages of being a pair of closed headphones. How does the TH600 differ to the TH900 as an all-rounder if I do think that the TH600 (for me) is one. Just for argument's sake I would take the TH600 over T1 (using the DACmini CX, which I have and love) more often than not (though I wouldn't complain if I can afford all 3).

I'm really in love with the TH600. Listening to it really brought back how I felt when I first got into this hobby : Music just sounds so good. Seeing that I guess I could stretch my budget to the 900's, I really need some opinions. I'm scared that after getting the 900's I might actually prefer the 600's. Just like how I prefer the JH13's over the 16's

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #735 of 3,438
Just need some help on deciding between the TH600's and the TH900's. I've recently listened to the TH600 and immediately fell in love with it. To me it sounded like a more fun version of the T1's but have the advantages of being a pair of closed headphones. How does the TH600 differ to the TH900 as an all-rounder if I do think that the TH600 (for me) is one. Just for argument's sake I would take the TH600 over T1 (using the DACmini CX, which I have and love) more often than not (though I wouldn't complain if I can afford all 3).

I'm really in love with the TH600. Listening to it really brought back how I felt when I first got into this hobby : Music just sounds so good. Seeing that I guess I could stretch my budget to the 900's, I really need some opinions. I'm scared that after getting the 900's I might actually prefer the 600's. Just like how I prefer the JH13's over the 16's

TH900 is simply a better version of the TH600. Less peaky treble (not so peaky like the TH600/T1), deeper and longer bass decay, wider soundstage, better separation. Most people will just go to the TH900 directly, but if you love the soundsig of the T1 and you don't want a more "wow" factor on your headphone, TH600 will suit you. Not to mention it's saving your wallet :rolleyes:.

One more thing, the TH600 is very picky in term of your music recording. If it's bad, than it's really bad , just like the T1 :rolleyes:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back