Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Oct 20, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #2,956 of 3,438
Been playing around with different mods using foam, felt, shelf liner, and other things to help calm the upper mids that seem to be just on the other side of too much sibilance to my ears. 

I grabbed some good ol' medical injury tape from when I was messing with my T50RP's and figured what the hell. A single thick band was close to this but this cross seemed to let enough high end through while killing most of the sibilance to my ears. It's still there but it's right where I want it. Right on the edge but just under. 

Now I'm getting the detail of the upper highs that makes the bass crisper and more defined while calming the upper mids that kill my ears so bad.

This is the only mod. I plan on trying the Lawton Level 1 mod soon. These headphones are freaking amazing. These are more fatiguing than any other can I own but they are so energetic and full of life. 

My wolfson dac tones down the sibilance... No tape :evil:

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #2,957 of 3,438
Has anyone tried the CEntrance M8 with the TH600's? 

I have been messing around with it and it absolutely rocks the TH600. It doesn't seem to have as much harshness up top over my Schiit stacks at home and work.

The main feature I find that works best with the TH600 is the M8 has an impedance switch that changes from 1, 2, & 11 ohm outputs. I find by using the 11ohm output impedance it brings the sibilance into better control and loosens up the bass so it's not so tight. It lets it linger a very small amount longer so it gives the sound a fuller sound. It's not exactly warmer but it feels to me that it replaces the sibilance with boominess in the cups if that makes sense..

I've also resorted with just using an EQ from my source instead of using tapes and physical filters. I've always with many pairs of headphones that I've tried impeding the drivers itself with something it tends to remove quite a bit of the resolution.

It's a shame that bass resolution depends so much on the upper frequencies but if you don't have a clear resolution up top it just turns the bass to mush and a boomy mess. 

But back to the M8 topic, I find I like adding a slight sub bass thump to add more kick and help tame down the always overpowering upper end. I prefer to use the source's EQ instead of the M8's bass boost. It just feels more controlled with cleaner of a boost with EQ vs the M8. 

Anyone else with these results or similar thoughts?

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #2,958 of 3,438
I came to this forum to look for a nice headphone for EDM / Electronica and made my way to this thread after plenty of research. I received the th600 today and the bass blew me away. I compared it against a Sennheiser 595 and a Hifiman 400i, and after listening to the fostex th600, both seemed flat and clinical and seemed to be missing a third of the frequency spectrum. If you want an amazing bass experience these are the way to go.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #2,959 of 3,438
:beerchug:
I came to this forum to look for a nice headphone for EDM / Electronica and made my way to this thread after plenty of research. I received the th600 today and the bass blew me away. I compared it against a Sennheiser 595 and a Hifiman 400i, and after listening to the fostex th600, both seemed flat and clinical and seemed to be missing a third of the frequency spectrum. If you want an amazing bass experience these are the way to go.
:beerchug:

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #2,961 of 3,438
I'm actually gonna get the signature djs to compliment the th600s for when I'm out and about

TH600s not very portable  ? I was looking for replacement for my vmoda m100. Wanted also a bit more isolation. TH600 with brainwavz hm5 works right ? I was to receive a aurisonics ASG 2.5 but the seller finally realized in fact it has been discontinued :frowning2:

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #2,964 of 3,438
  Damn it !!

Thanks for you answer

But... this is why the TH600s do not sound like closed headphones to my ears.  I wouldn't recommend them as portables because of the "fragile" joint hinges.  Outside of that, I personally don't like heavy isolation with the exception of "airplane" duty cans.  Of course, this really only applies in my sick headphone-addiction state of mind 
blink.gif
 !!!  YMMV...

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #2,965 of 3,438

TH600s not very portable  ? I was looking for replacement for my vmoda m100. Wanted also a bit more isolation. TH600 with brainwavz hm5 works right ? I was to receive a aurisonics ASG 2.5 but the seller finally realized in fact it has been discontinued :frowning2:

No, the Sig DJ might better fit your bill... more robust, folds flat, much better isolation, more compact overall... and a sound signature that reminds me more of the M-100 than the TH600 does.

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #2,968 of 3,438
  Has anyone compaed the Fostex and the Denon AH-D5000 or D7000? Would the Fostex be an imporevement over the Denon headphones?

As Luckbad said, I own the D2000, D5000 and D7000 (the D7000 is actually an LA7000 with Q French Silk cables, Stax pads, HD650 headband pad, Teak wood cups and Mark Lawton did his damping magic to it) and owned the TH600 for a bit (got it in a trade), and to my 54 year old ears, there was no discernible difference over the Denon's.  For a golden ear they might hear a difference but I did not and even think the D5000 is it's equal as well (mine is modded with Lawton angle pads, Teak cups and Lawton damping as well).  Love the Fostex/Denon sound signature but to me even the TH900 was no better than the D7000 or TH600.  YMMV, etc..................

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #2,969 of 3,438
Thank you for the information! I have the D5000 too, but it's not modded. I was thinking about upgrading to the TH600 if it's audibly better, but it seems ( other people said it too) it's not a noticable step up. And they don't have wooden cups which is not a good point.

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #2,970 of 3,438

TH600 with brainwavz hm5 works right ? 

TH-600 has no isolation and changing pads won't do anything. There's an air gap between the pad ring and the rest of the cup.

Changing pads will change the sound some. I've tried a few different pads and find that pretty much any pad that moves the drivers farther away from the ear tends to make it more V shaped. 

Audeze Faux Leather Pads = Most comfortable with the TH600 by far, adds more mids, slightly less bass and more sibilance than stock pads.
Shure SRH840 Pads = Very close to stock but they aren't as thick and not as comfortable and didn't sound quite as good as stock imo.
HM5 Pads Pads = Adds more bass and high end sparkle. Eats up a little bit of the upper mid sibilance but replaces it with piercing highs. More V shaped than any other of the pads. 

I want to try some Brainwavz Pads and Lawton pads but it'll have to wait. 

On a different note, anyone who's done the Lawton mod, what exactly does it change in the sound? 

I've ended up using a -3dB @8Khz adjustment on the EQ and a +4-6dB @31Hz for some low low end thump. I find these cans go veeery low and are very thumpy at 30hz so a little boost makes them hit with more presence. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back