Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Oct 3, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #2,941 of 3,438
nvm, I am an idiot.

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2,942 of 3,438
  I sent this EQ info on the Fostex TH600 to someone where others can't really see it, so I thought I'd mirror it here. This is basically to address the main treble peak of the TH-600, plus some basshead settings.

If you use foobar2000 (or JRiver, or anything that can use VST plugins), this is what I liked to use on EasyQ for the TH600:

That is using foo_vst to use VST and EasyQ (available in DSP manager after installing foo_vst and EasyQ). If you grab that, also get their EngineersFilter at RS-MET; you can do insane bass boosts with it with a hard line if you want.

I like this:

But you can also do stupid crazy EQ slopes like this:

You can actually use VST in Windows if you go through some hoops and use VB Cable and Reaper (or similar options--I just prefer those).

The easiest free option for Windows is EqualizerAPO with PeaceGUI.

These settings cleaned up the treble on my TH600 nicely (5500Hz being the only important setting; the rest are flat):

If I wanted to go high volume with crazy bass on the TH600, I'd use this or a similar 15dB version. It rolls off all treble in addition to targeting the peak so I can turn the volume up even higher.

I just bought a warm amp... fixed it right up 
cool.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,943 of 3,438
Hi,

I have just sold my HE400S and looking for TH600 this time. Is there any comparison between them? It is going to be a blind buy btw. I just want to know whether it is worth to buy these after selling my Hifimans.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #2,946 of 3,438

Hi guys,

well , they have finally reached mine with a little delay .

The truth is that I was a little scared after reading some opinions so opposed them .

And do I have to say that I really like . It's the sound that I wanted to supplement my fantastic HE- 400i .

There are some in my humble opinion bassheads headphones. I still carry with them a little while , but less classic , I 've tried almost everything.

They have a strong bass , that's certain, but not fast and smudge the mids. The mids may miss them some body, but perhaps is motivated because the bass and treble are enhanced . The highs are less tolerated with bad records, that's true.

I agree with those who say their profile is "U " rather than " V " . They are very clear and I like that a lot. I really do not like the dark sound . They are very funny. Besides comfortable.

Anyway, you see that I am very happy with them .

Cheers

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #2,948 of 3,438
Been playing around with different mods using foam, felt, shelf liner, and other things to help calm the upper mids that seem to be just on the other side of too much sibilance to my ears. 

I grabbed some good ol' medical injury tape from when I was messing with my T50RP's and figured what the hell. A single thick band was close to this but this cross seemed to let enough high end through while killing most of the sibilance to my ears. It's still there but it's right where I want it. Right on the edge but just under. 

Now I'm getting the detail of the upper highs that makes the bass crisper and more defined while calming the upper mids that kill my ears so bad.

This is the only mod. I plan on trying the Lawton Level 1 mod soon. These headphones are freaking amazing. These are more fatiguing than any other can I own but they are so energetic and full of life. 

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #2,949 of 3,438
Ok... since you asked...

To have cleaner less thicker bass and more elevated mids, add more damping to rear. .
Most materials will have same effect of damping. ..

To have smoother trebles, add this.

This is similar liner material used in HD800 and he560 mods that specifically targets high frequency without losing detail or adding dullness..
This material solves this issue.

There are slightly different shapes, colors amd thickness to match most users sibilant spots so you can easily try different to achieve your favored results without any special know how.

Just a simple circle mod by just twisting open your earpads and placing in...
Now you have an even more refined sound. .
This should bring the th600 trebles closer or even more refined then the th900..
You will not miss the w3000.

Smoother and better:

Also you are Correct.
The th600 is a more powerful larger presentation over the w3000 or any closed can because of th600 not fully closed design...
This can has high realism near Top can level quality sound which puts it on par with other top closed cans.
The th600 to me is more like a muscled up T1 on steroids.

I am going to reterminate them to balanced as they deserve :wink:

Just did the drawer liner mod on my TH-600's and it absolutely works! Pretty amazing. The highs are more like the T-900's as far as clarity, but without the slight harshness that the 900's had. Wow.

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #2,950 of 3,438
Just did the drawer liner mod on my TH-600's and it absolutely works! Pretty amazing. The highs are more like the T-900's as far as clarity, but without the slight harshness that the 900's had. Wow.

I found the liner mod simply reduced the upper mids and treble on a flat line. That's fine but I don't mind the upper treble sparkle. The sibilance that bothers me is around 2-4Khz which are the upper mids. The tape mod I did allows most of the treble to shine through but reducing the glaring sibilance.

If I had to put the change into a graph with the tape I'd be something like this: 
2Khz = -1.5dB 
4Khz = -3.0dB
8Khz = -1.5dB 

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #2,951 of 3,438
Been playing around with different mods using foam, felt, shelf liner, and other things to help calm the upper mids that seem to be just on the other side of too much sibilance to my ears. 

I grabbed some good ol' medical injury tape from when I was messing with my T50RP's and figured what the hell. A single thick band was close to this but this cross seemed to let enough high end through while killing most of the sibilance to my ears. It's still there but it's right where I want it. Right on the edge but just under. 

Now I'm getting the detail of the upper highs that makes the bass crisper and more defined while calming the upper mids that kill my ears so bad.

This is the only mod. I plan on trying the Lawton Level 1 mod soon. These headphones are freaking amazing. These are more fatiguing than any other can I own but they are so energetic and full of life. 

Th900 or 600?

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #2,952 of 3,438
Th900 or 600?

TH600. I'd imagine it'd work the same way with the TH900 as well.

I originally found this mod for using this tape on the backside of the T50RP but still couldn't get a handle on the sparkling mids so I tried it on the front side. It does the same trick with them as it does with the TH600. It calms down the upper mids without messing with the treble or clarity much at all if any.

If you're already doing the liner mod why not try some tape? if not this injury wrap, why not try some scotch tape? If it is thin and doesn't leave a residue then it should be fine. 

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #2,955 of 3,438
No I already sold the 900s they just did not have the smooth bass that I wanted like the 600s

Hahaha, you sold the 900's for the 600's? Ouch fostex. :p

Never been able to try the 600's, but been a fan of the 900's. Have had many opportunities to listen to them over the years. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back