Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Sep 17, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #2,911 of 3,438
  I just got the TH-600, paired with the Mav-Audio Tubemagic D1 Plus. Do you guys think it's a good pairing or should I purchase a new DAC/AMP?

Currently, I'm comparing it with the Fidelio X2, and I'm not 100% justifying the cost of these things. Any thoughts?

Edit: I do like the sound, but it's not mind blowing. I wonder if I should purchase the TH-900 instead...

>.<
Improvements on Head-fi on sound quality are vastly exaggerated.  The TH600 doesn't sound that much better than the X2.  If you're satisfied with the X2s, stay with them.  There's a very minimal difference between the TH600 and TH900.
Also, I noticed you posted a question about the TH600s vs the X2s 4 days ago, then purchased and received them in that time period.  Don't do that, your wallet is going to die a slow, painful death.

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #2,912 of 3,438
  >.<
Improvements on Head-fi on sound quality are vastly exaggerated.  The TH600 doesn't sound that much better than the X2.  If you're satisfied with the X2s, stay with them.  There's a very minimal difference between the TH600 and TH900.
Also, I noticed you posted a question about the TH600s vs the X2s 4 days ago, then purchased and received them in that time period.  Don't do that, your wallet is going to die a slow, painful death.

I like that you noticed I posted a question about them... Haha. Yeah my wallet is dying. 
redface.gif
 hehehehe....

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #2,913 of 3,438
  I just got the TH-600, paired with the Mav-Audio Tubemagic D1 Plus. Do you guys think it's a good pairing or should I purchase a new DAC/AMP?

Currently, I'm comparing it with the Fidelio X2, and I'm not 100% justifying the cost of these things. Any thoughts?

Edit: I do like the sound, but it's not mind blowing. I wonder if I should purchase the TH-900 instead...

The TH-900 will only offer a very slight improvement over the TH-600, not worth double the cost IMO.  Never heard a Tubemagic D1 Plus so I can't comment on it but the TH-600 will scale a little with better equipment, I'm currently using a UD-301 and either a Lyr2 or Project Ember to drive mine.  Its hard to compare the X2 to the TH-600, one is open and the other is semi-closed so they will have different sound signatures, its more a question of what do you prefer?  I have the X1 and its a fun easy to drive headphone that will give me pretty good sound from my phone while the TH-600 will work with my phone but they sound much better with the above mentioned DAC and amp.

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #2,914 of 3,438

How does it compare to your X2?
Supposedly, the bass on the Th600 should destroy the bass on the X2.

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #2,915 of 3,438

Nope.  Nothing really "destroys" anything when you get to mid-fi and higher tiers.  Improvements aren't as large as they're worked up to be and are greatly exaggerated after that point.  It's really just a bunch of circlejerking around how something sounds soo much better than something else.

EDIT:  Just noticed you have all these summit-fi cans listed on your profile.  My reply was more directed at somebody who was new to Head-fi.  >.<

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #2,916 of 3,438

It’s kind of odd comparing a $300 headphone to a $1299 MSRP headphone (Bought for $540.) But here goes:

The bass on the TH-600 is better than the X2's without a doubt. It doesn't “destroy it”, but is a definite improvement upon it. The bass is a lot more controlled and hits fairly well. The TH-600’s bass makes the X2’s feel more boomy. The recession in the mids is very clear as soon as you test both side-by-side (aka the “v-shaped” signature). The high’s isn’t too overbearing either. I’ve read that they can cause fatigue, but I haven’t encountered this. Maybe it’s because it’s paired with the Tubemagic D1, which is a warm sounding amp. Overall, I like the sound signature of the TH-600. Something about it just sounds nice.  Like others have said, it's also amazing how the TH-600 feel like an open can, even though they're closed.

I tested both cans with R&B, Pop, EDM, Jazz… My ears told me the TH-600 sounded better than the X2’s most of the time, but it wasn’t better by a whole lot. It was marginally better. The X2’s are really that good.

Physically, the TH-600 is superior to the X2’s. Cable is thicker and sturdier and has less microphonics. The X2’s cable makes noise when rubbed against other surfaces. It’s also a shame you can’t remove the cables. When you hold the two next to each other, the X2’s feel kind of cheap (Even though they are definitely not). Both are comfortable, but the TH-600 do get warm because of the leather pads. I do have to take breaks when using the TH-600’s.

In my opinion, the Fidelio x2’s give it a run for its money. For only $300 it’s amazing what they can do. TH-600’s are the better headphone, but not by much. I’m still weary on keeping them right now. I don’t know if I can justify the cost of these because of the X2’s.

Although, right now I am thinking of picking up the TH-900 or a LCD-2 with a new AMP/DAC to see if the differences are more dramatic. But that’s a whole different story...

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #2,917 of 3,438

It’s kind of odd comparing a $300 headphone to a $1299 MSRP headphone (Bought for $540.) But here goes:

The bass on the TH-600 is better than the X2's without a doubt. It doesn't “destroy it”, but is a definite improvement upon it. The bass is a lot more controlled and hits fairly well. The TH-600’s bass makes the X2’s feel more boomy. The recession in the mids is very clear as soon as you test both side-by-side (aka the “v-shaped” signature). The high’s isn’t too overbearing either. I’ve read that they can cause fatigue, but I haven’t encountered this. Maybe it’s because it’s paired with the Tubemagic D1, which is a warm sounding amp. Overall, I like the sound signature of the TH-600. Something about it just sounds nice.  Like others have said, it's also amazing how the TH-600 feel like an open can, even though they're closed.

I tested both cans with R&B, Pop, EDM, Jazz… My ears told me the TH-600 sounded better than the X2’s most of the time, but it wasn’t better by a whole lot. It was marginally better. The X2’s are really that good.

Physically, the TH-600 is superior to the X2’s. Cable is thicker and sturdier and has less microphonics. The X2’s cable makes noise when rubbed against other surfaces. It’s also a shame you can’t remove the cables. When you hold the two next to each other, the X2’s feel kind of cheap (Even though they are definitely not). Both are comfortable, but the TH-600 do get warm because of the leather pads. I do have to take breaks when using the TH-600’s.

In my opinion, the Fidelio x2’s give it a run for its money. For only $300 it’s amazing what they can do. TH-600’s are the better headphone, but not by much. I’m still weary on keeping them right now. I don’t know if I can justify the cost of these because of the X2’s.

Although, right now I am thinking of picking up the TH-900 or a LCD-2 with a new AMP/DAC to see if the differences are more dramatic. But that’s a whole different story...

>.< Ugh
Come on man, you complain about how the TH600 isn't that much of an upgrade over the X2 and now you want to buy the TH900?  There is VERY little difference between the sound of the TH900 and the TH600, much less than between the X2 and the TH600.  The main issue is that people REALLY overhype things on Head-fi, exaggerating very subtle differences into huge changes.  The LCD-2 is a completely difference signature, try finding a place you can audition it first before purchasing.

Start reading from here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/17025#post_11893091

Also, what amp/DAC are you currently using?  The TH600 isn't very demanding, but if you're feeding them from a horrible source, that might be an issue.

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #2,918 of 3,438
  The main issue is that people REALLY overhype things on Head-fi, exaggerating very subtle differences into huge changes.

This is true. At the at end of the day they're just headphones. The way some people talk here you would except listening to a pair of high-end headphones to give you an out of body experience.

It also important to consider the law of diminishing returns. $300 can get you a lot, and beyond that, most improvements will be subtle. Most "summit-fi" headphones probably aren't worth it unless they offer something specific you're looking for that more affordable headphones don't.

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #2,920 of 3,438
As quickly as that, I take a look at my bank account and realize it is not in good shape. Good lord I've spent a lot of money on headphones and related gear recently.

I might have to sell these beauties off already. :frowning2:

A couple more pics of the teak cups with some Audeze pads. I swapped back to Lawton pads for now. Audeze pads are very comfy, but Lawton pads sound better.

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #2,922 of 3,438
Yep. The Audeze pads raise that annoying 5kHz peak a little earlier (starting around 4250 instead). It makes it slightly less pronounced but the peak is wider.

Did a fair amount of listening with both pads and stock cups, Audeze on one ear and Lawton on the other with stock cups, then the same after I installed the wood.

For my tall ears, they were more comfortable than the Lawton pads (and they're softer), but the sound is slightly less enjoyable.

Interestingly, the wood cups (yes, I installed one and listened/did sweeps to test these too) don't change the frequency response much. They make acoustic instruments resonate a bit more realistically and classical music is fuller sounding, but the frequency response stays pretty close to stock.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #2,923 of 3,438
  >.< Ugh
Come on man, you complain about how the TH600 isn't that much of an upgrade over the X2 and now you want to buy the TH900?  There is VERY little difference between the sound of the TH900 and the TH600, much less than between the X2 and the TH600.  The main issue is that people REALLY overhype things on Head-fi, exaggerating very subtle differences into huge changes.  The LCD-2 is a completely difference signature, try finding a place you can audition it first before purchasing.

Start reading from here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/17025#post_11893091

Also, what amp/DAC are you currently using?  The TH600 isn't very demanding, but if you're feeding them from a horrible source, that might be an issue.

I'm using them out of a Mav-Audio Tubemagic D1 Plus.

Sep 18, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #2,924 of 3,438
Sep 18, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #2,925 of 3,438

If you think the difference in price between the X2 and TH-600 is not much and can't justify the cost then the cost difference between the TH-600 and TH-900 will be 4 times harder to justify as the difference between the TH-600 and TH-900 is very small.  I've listen to both side by side and could have bough both I felt that the differences where so small that it was not worth it.  I don't "upgrade" to different headphones, I like to find headphones that have a different sound signature for that which I already have.  As an example, to me there is a big enough difference between the HE-400i and HE-560 for me to keep both, many would say they sound similar but there is enough of a difference to me to make having both worthwhile.
The X2 and TH-600 are fairly easy to drive so with your Tubemagic D1 you are getting pretty good sound out of both headphones but the TH-600 will scale a little better than the X2 if you upgrade your gear.
The LCD-2 has a very different sound signature compared to the TH-600 and X2 so yes the difference would be more noticeable between it and the TH-600 and or X2.  Notice that I say "noticeable" and not "dramatic" as I don't think there is a dramatic difference there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back