Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Mar 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #1,951 of 3,438
Hi, i have two questions: can the th600 be modded to let the cups swivel 180 degrees? So yhat you can make it flat.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a good small case? Of course this depends on the first question.

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #1,952 of 3,438
Hi, i have two questions: can the th600 be modded to let the cups swivel 180 degrees? So yhat you can make it flat.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a good small case? Of course this depends on the first question.

Thanks!

Of course you can, but it would require some serious expertise and technical hardware job that's well done. Doing so will void warranty of course and would damage the integrity of the already relatively fragile frame connecting the cups to the headband.

As for the case, something like this is more than adequate to hold the Fostex TH600/900 
You can also check these out if you do manage to get them to fold flat. A search on eBay will get you more types of similar generic hard (zipper) cases that does more than its job.

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #1,953 of 3,438
^ or should I say, the TH600 mids is not as luscious or as forward as LCD2. The LCD2 mids can sound a bit thick though.
IMHO of course, as we all have our own preference and hear differently and I'm hearing my TH600 through the source I listed in my signature below.

Yes you are right, the TH600s' mids are definitely not forward, but they aren't recessed. I have tried them with many different setups and rigs, and I stand by my point that its mids are only as recessed as the source you feed it.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #1,954 of 3,438

Yes you are right, the TH600s' mids are definitely not forward, but they aren't recessed. I have tried them with many different setups and rigs, and I stand by my point that its mids are only as recessed as the source you feed it.

agree with this. TH600 mids aren't recessed (unless its your source). I actually find the mid will improve (massively) depending on your setup.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #1,955 of 3,438
The mids aren't recessed but in comparison to an ortho such as the HE500s and even a dynamic like the HD600s, the mids do sound thinner, for want of a better word

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #1,957 of 3,438
They really don't need much power to drive them and the improvement isn't all that much going from my portable to my desktop. They do sound fantastic out of my DX50 PB2 stack

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #1,961 of 3,438
Just chiming in.....

I'm a fairly longtime head-fi'er, but more so in the IEM arena.  I broke down a couple of years ago, bought the Fostex T50RP's, and loved the "modded" sound.  Eventually, my father-in-law helped me make my own "Thunderpants-style" phones, which has been my go-to set at work ever since.  They're pretty snazzy, and sound really good :)

Anyhow, my co-worker (who also has the disease!) showed me his new pair of HE-500's, which sounded great.  Sadly, I'm not enthused about using "open" cans here at work, so I started poking around again.  A couple of years ago, I was at a head-fi meet (here in the Seattle area) and heard some Denon D5000's (or 7000's....I don't actually remember which) and was totally blown away.  I also heard LCD2's, T1's, Grado's, and so on.... but those Denon's were the ones that did it for me.  So, after coming into a bit of "unexpected money" this past week, I started poking around looking for some Denon D5000's that I could buy used.  After some further digging, I stumbled upon the Fostex TH-600 (and 900) family that, to my joy and surprise, is the spiritual successor to the Denon AH-Dxxx line.  I was stoked!

Needless to say, after reading almost 80 pages of this thread along with a bunch of external reviews, I placed an order for some Fostex TH-600's yesterday.  I'm looking forward to joining the conversation in a more meaningful way very soon :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #1,964 of 3,438
I'm in the market for my first pair of serious headphones, my current best are the HD449. I'm not a total audio noob though, my main listening is done in my lounge near field with a Laptop > KEF X300A active speakers. These are certainly not high end speakers but are a very good bookshelf/desktop speaker for the $800 they cost. I'd say they are warm, but lack lower bass as I do not have a sub running in the system. The sound overall is midrange oriented. I'm looking for a pair of headphones with a bit more bass than usual for my bedroom rig not only for something different but to be able to listen to music when my Boyfriend is trying to sleep. 

I've narrowed down my list to the Signature DJ, TH600 and Yamaha Pro 500. Alpha Dogs are a possibility but they are not that great for electronic is what I've read. I listen to 50% Electronic. Artists like Pendulum, Infected Mushroom, Xenomorph, Crystal Method, Massive Attack, Nine inch Nails, Juno Reactor, Shpongle, Noisia, Thriftworks, Gramatik, Savant, Zomby. As well as stuff like Submotion Orchestra, Little Dragon, Lorde, Bjork, Tricky, Purity Ring, Crystal Castles, The Knife, Ellie Goulding. Thats my main 50%. Outside of that I listen to plenty of Kpop MV's and singles - Rarely full albums. I also like some western mainstream pop acts about 20%. 

My other listening is movie and game soundtracks Classical mostly as well as progressive rock/metal and instrumental rock. This other part amounts to about 30% of my listening. 

Anyway I'm rambling, I'm mainly looking for something that kicks arse at electronic but can pull off the soundtracks as well. I suppose this is the ticket here, but I'm unsure whether or not I should go the Signature DJ or TH600 (my purse is looking at me with glaring eyes in feat that I'll get both).

I'm sure I'll be told to search but I didn't turn up to much, how do the two compare.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,965 of 3,438
^ Holy crap, those cups are gorgeous!!

Ha!  Thanks for the compliment.  I think the camera was *extra* kind to my headphones on that day, but yeah....they're pretty cool :)

Quick question: I'm currently using the Fiio E17 as my primary AMP/DAC.  You think that'll be sufficient to get proper sound from the TH600's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back