Fostex TE-05 Japanese Price, Release Date Announced
Mar 21, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #241 of 392
Does the TE-05 have more bass quantity than the RE400? I read someone saying they felt the RE400 was bass light and was recommending the TE-05 as one of many alternatives with more bass. If it has more, is it just in sub bass or all over?

I was hoping for a dynamic driver neutral reference, based on prototype impressions but it seems Fostex may have altered final tuning...

Yes it does (significantly more), but nowhere near basshead levels. And it is mostly sub-bass.

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #242 of 392
B&H has Fostex TE-05 for $150 shipped (pre-order):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1029720&gclid=CJ3By6SjpL0CFS1eOgodLx0A5A&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #244 of 392
I ordered the TE-05 from Amazon.co.jp last week and they arrived a couple of days ago.  I've been using them quite a bit over the last couple of days and I'm very impressed with them.  As a result of the TE-05's relatively large nozzle width and shallow insertion (where I find it to sound best), the isolation is quite low, as others have mentioned.  That being said, a seal is important to hearing sub bass presence.  Despite the TE-05 being relatively efficient, it's deceptively power hungry.. and seems to benefit from dedicated amplification (and a good DAC).  I've been using with with my Galaxy S4, Leckerton UHA 760 (ADA4627-B opamp), and the Audio-GD NFB-11.32.  Moving through these DACs and amps, there was some noticeable improvement in clarity, control, and resolving ability.. proving that the TE-05 scales nicely.

In regards to the sound, what jumped out at me first was how grainless it was.  Fostex has employed a very impressive driver, in this regard.  Next was the signature.  Bass has excellent presence that's balanced but impactful.  There is a slight lift in the sub-bass.. but it isn't anything more than a few dBs.. so it keeps with the 'neutral'-ish profile of the overall signature.  Treble is crisp, snappy, and detailed.  The midrange is simply terrific.  It's the 'show stealer,' IMO.  Tonally neutral-to-slightly warm, open, very dynamic, and effortless.  Soundstage width is on the slightly intimate side (this coming from someone who's used to the JH13 FP, UERM, and Noble 4).. but it has very nice depth and height.  Imaging is very good.  Resolving ability is as good as I've heard at $150.. impressive even at the <$500-level.  The slightly warm, downward-tilting signature seems inspired by the Olive-Welti reference curve more than the diffuse field reference curve (i.e. employed by Etymotic).

I'll have more thoughts and (possibly) a more comprehensive review in time.. but so far, I've found this to be a a terrific IEM.. and a favorite of mine in my head-fi journey so far.  I think fans of the RE-400, BA200, VSonic GR07 would certainly enjoy the TE-05.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back