Fostex T60RP
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,141 of 1,450
I just got my T60RP and they sound amazing. I live in the UK and I ordered them from thomann.de for £245. I didn't notice any buzzing issues at first, it wast until I listed to doing it right by daft punk that I was able to here a rattle from the right ear so I tested with a tone generator and there is a slight buzzing coming from both drivers. I managed to eliminate the buzzing by tightening all of the screws so now there is no rattling at all.

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,143 of 1,450
So far I love these headphones. The only issue is the "s" sounds in some songs kill my ears so I was wondering if any has any ideas on how I can reduce them without using an EQ as I don't like EQs and the EQ in USB Audio Player Pro doesn't affect USB output.

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #1,144 of 1,450
I'm looking for a balanced 2.5mm cable for my T60rp Argons, so far I've only found xlr. Anyone have a suggestion?

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #1,146 of 1,450
So far I love these headphones. The only issue is the "s" sounds in some songs kill my ears so I was wondering if any has any ideas on how I can reduce them without using an EQ as I don't like EQs and the EQ in USB Audio Player Pro doesn't affect USB output.

Same issue here, love these can but they are just a touch sibilant to my ears. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on some kind of mod though, rather than an EQ for this.

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #1,147 of 1,450
Sorry, its been awhile since I checked this thread. I wanted a t60rp but lost interest after some seemingly common failures cropped up: The two issues Ive read about are wood creaking and driver buzzing.

So, it seems driver buzzing has been solved - you just need to tighten down all the screws inside and out.

But is there a solution for wood creaking?

Amazon has “refurbished” sets for $250. Do you suspect these have actually been refurbished to correct faults or are they just simply reshelved “returned but functioning” units?

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #1,148 of 1,450
Quick question, hoping someone can help - When changing the pads, how do y'all keep the stock baffle ring in place and ensure it stays in position? I bought a set of ZMF Protein Ovals and the rings I think, come off after I install the pads because the sound is very uncontrolled and muddy now. I noticed they were off when I took a pad off to check and on one side, the baffle ring had turned in place and the notch wasn't lined up anymore. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #1,149 of 1,450
Any recommendations for pads that retain the original sound but are just more comfortable? Bought the ZMF Protein Ovals but they altered the sound too much for me. Thanks in advance!

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #1,150 of 1,450
I've just had a pair of T60RP arrive this morning. I had the Sundara arrive last week. Tend to use the Amiron Home as my regular headphone. I'm powering with a Schiit Jotunheim, with an onboard multi-bit DAC card. I'm also alternating with a Darkvoice fed from the Jotunheim.

I was actually dreading hearing these after many of the mixed reaction posts in this thread (of which I've read quite a few going back a couple of years). But I have to say, overall, they're pretty good. I love the Sundara but it's extremely genre specific and completely lacking in bass. I picked these up with the aim of having a more "all rounder" planar. I have to say I think they probably fit the bill.

From my cheapish onboard multi-bit DAC (generally warmer), the highs are no doubt being tamed, but I think they could still lead to some fatigue. I'll likely pick up the ZMF suede (as recommended by modhouse). The bass is more present than the Sundara, which is nice. They don't quite have the cleanness and air of the Sundara, but that's expected with more present bass.

Comfort is pretty crap, so I can't begin to think how uncomfortable the T20/40/50RPs must be. The headband strap is too stiff a leather (I'll replace that in the future), and the earpads are pretty poor (sadly I'm a bit spoiled with my other headphones). But no doubt the ZMF pads will rectify that. Finally, it's quite exciting have a headphone that's so easy to mod. Gives me a little project to tailor to my liking.

P.s. What a gorgeous headphone.

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #1,152 of 1,450
I believe modhouse recommed the ZMF oval suede pads for the T60RP

Awesome, thanks! Will check them out. I bought the ZMF Ovals but they changed the sound dramatically.

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #1,153 of 1,450
I've just had a pair of T60RP arrive this morning. I had the Sundara arrive last week. Tend to use the Amiron Home as my regular headphone. I'm powering with a Schiit Jotunheim, with an onboard multi-bit DAC card. I'm also alternating with a Darkvoice fed from the Jotunheim.

I was actually dreading hearing these after many of the mixed reaction posts in this thread (of which I've read quite a few going back a couple of years). But I have to say, overall, they're pretty good. I love the Sundara but it's extremely genre specific and completely lacking in bass. I picked these up with the aim of having a more "all rounder" planar. I have to say I think they probably fit the bill.

From my cheapish onboard multi-bit DAC (generally warmer), the highs are no doubt being tamed, but I think they could still lead to some fatigue. I'll likely pick up the ZMF suede (as recommended by modhouse). The bass is more present than the Sundara, which is nice. They don't quite have the cleanness and air of the Sundara, but that's expected with more present bass.

Comfort is pretty crap, so I can't begin to think how uncomfortable the T20/40/50RPs must be. The headband strap is too stiff a leather (I'll replace that in the future), and the earpads are pretty poor (sadly I'm a bit spoiled with my other headphones). But no doubt the ZMF pads will rectify that. Finally, it's quite exciting have a headphone that's so easy to mod. Gives me a little project to tailor to my liking.

P.s. What a gorgeous headphone.

Very interesting impressions. I also have both the T60RP and the Sundara. The T60RP still reigns as my favorite set of cans to this day. I totally agree on the comfort. It's awful. The earpads are just nonsense IMO and could definitely benefit from aftermarket pads. I'm also not a huge fan that they are supra-aural and not circumaural. If they were circumaural, I think they would be even more amazing with a good seal. I hardly even listen to my Sundara's these days but I agree with you - They are great for certain genres and not-so-good with others. I would recommend you grab a SMSL SU-8 for both the cans we're discussing. I think you'll see an increase in detail and soundstage and more or less bring them to life! Not to say what you're listening to right now is bad in any way, I've just found a great pairing and I highly recommend. Enjoy! =)

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #1,154 of 1,450
Very interesting impressions. I also have both the T60RP and the Sundara. The T60RP still reigns as my favorite set of cans to this day. I totally agree on the comfort. It's awful. The earpads are just nonsense IMO and could definitely benefit from aftermarket pads. I'm also not a huge fan that they are supra-aural and not circumaural. If they were circumaural, I think they would be even more amazing with a good seal. I hardly even listen to my Sundara's these days but I agree with you - They are great for certain genres and not-so-good with others. I would recommend you grab a SMSL SU-8 for both the cans we're discussing. I think you'll see an increase in detail and soundstage and more or less bring them to life! Not to say what you're listening to right now is bad in any way, I've just found a great pairing and I highly recommend. Enjoy! =)
Thanks for the heads up. I may try one of those out.

I'd hold off on the suede pads. Over on HiFiGuides they seem to suggest they actually heighten the treble slightly. Interestingly, I have a pair of Brainwavz round pleather pads (non-angled) that I just popped on out of interest. Made the bass slightly bloomy. I then put Beyerdynamic earpad foam (the foam that stops your ears from touching the plastic housing on Beyers headphones) behind these pads. Suddenly the highs are more slightly tamed, and the bass has remained intact/ever so slightly more impactful. I might order some oval Brainwavz from Amazon and try those out with the Beyer foam.

Does anyone know a good reason to stick with angled pads?

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #1,155 of 1,450
Thanks for the heads up. I may try one of those out.

I'd hold off on the suede pads. Over on HiFiGuides they seem to suggest they actually heighten the treble slightly. Interestingly, I have a pair of Brainwavz round pleather pads (non-angled) that I just popped on out of interest. Made the bass slightly bloomy. I then put Beyerdynamic earpad foam (the foam that stops your ears from touching the plastic housing on Beyers headphones) behind these pads. Suddenly the highs are more slightly tamed, and the bass has remained intact/ever so slightly more impactful. I might order some oval Brainwavz from Amazon and try those out with the Beyer foam.

Does anyone know a good reason to stick with angled pads?

That's exactly what I experienced with the ZMF Ovals - The bass was really bloomy and while it was definitely bassier, it was uncontrolled, muddy bass. The treble was a bit tamed overall with these pads but the mids were pushed back in the mix further than i would like. Just an overall nope for me but I know these things can be highly subjective. YMMV etc.. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back