Fostex T60RP
Apr 11, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #211 of 1,450
Hey man, any luck with the Greek Fostex distributor? Have you come to contact with anyone? Learned anything?

I am really eyeing the T60rp at the moment. I was debating getting the T50rp and then modding them over time, but man does the wood make them look glorious. And I think they sound just as glorious as they look. However, Greece is again left out of the game. Although this time it looks that they are not available in Europe anyway, and general availability is scarce anyway. Maybe they're too new?

Then again, I only have a Fiio Q1 1st gen and I highly doubt I'm gonna get even close to 100% out of an RP headphone, so maybe I should get a better amp and then budget out for a T60rp after the summer...

The Greek distributor will bring them in 6 months. I got them from Amazon UK.

They have new drivers that are more powerful more sensitive and extend both
higher and lower than the MK III even though the specs remain the same.

They are worth every penny due to the improved drivers.

There are 3 modes to make them killers (They all apply to MK II's and III's I tried them)

1) Removal of hard felt and replacement with soft (That is to increase bass like going from T50 to T20)
add surgical mask cloth and transparent linen material to fine tune treble externally on the 3 slot openings.

2) ZMF pads (forget the Shure pads that Zeos pushes.)

3) Make and place a 10 mm thick wood oval ring between cap
and baffle to increase the volume of the enclosure and achieve bass and maximum
output equal to or better than LCD2 without the shouting AND shrilling DRY mids and trebles of Audezes, Mr. Speakers and Hifimans.
You may have to add some cotton felt to fine tune to your taste.

When you are done you will be shivering on both sides from your shoulders to your knees on your favorite music for more than 20 minutes.

A reviewer calls them flat and perfect for studio monitors but not for music enjoyment.
(That is another moron or money grabber that does not know (WTFHITA) like that guy with the wall of fame that has no Foster on it).

I may not be posting for a while (will be enjoying music). If your source is a computer whatever you do buy an ifi USB 3.0 Nano otherwise you are
plain old low fi. And make sure you can push 3 watts into 50 ohms (Audio Trends will do that for 125 $) ifiusb3.0 at 225$ for a total of 350$ will
destroy ifi Micro DSD because the integrated purifier is still low fi if you want hifi buy USB 3.0 nano and later when you have money get an expensive
amp.

Apr 11, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #213 of 1,450
Get Mrspeakers Alpha pads and thank me later. OMG they are so soft, softer than ZMF's. I love my ZMF's as they create a solid bass chamber but If you want plusher go for Alphas.

Also if you cover the cups like the pads for the MK2 I think you get more bass as opposed to fitting them the normal way.

I would like to know what these are like with either the lambskin ZMF ovals or Alphas.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #215 of 1,450
Apr 12, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #216 of 1,450
Get Mrspeakers Alpha pads and thank me later. OMG they are so soft, softer than ZMF's. I love my ZMF's as they create a solid bass chamber but If you want plusher go for Alphas.

Also if you cover the cups like the pads for the MK2 I think you get more bass as opposed to fitting them the normal way.

I would like to know what these are like with either the lambskin ZMF ovals or Alphas.

Alpha Pads (I have more pads than Zeos) are flowed and don't work for half the people
being square they do not achieve perfect seal. Bass is bloated and soundstage restricted.
ZMF has lamp skin and cowhides.
Covering the pads defeats Hiroaki's elegant attempt to create an IMF transmission line and results
in big fat bloated bass on the MK III , it did work on MK II's.

I will soon show pictures of my moded Smeggy Thunderpants that I called it "BeatTheirPants"
which was the predecessor to my moded T60 and the beginning of some serious effort to
construct a 100% wooden headphone with 4th generation RP drivers geared for experimentation by non
technical users.

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #217 of 1,450
@kintsaki have you ever heard the TH-500RP?

Yes briefly it is a dynamic not a much for the TH-900 with ZMF pads - the successor of the Denon DH2000 - which was a long love affair. The
TH900 is destroyed by my 3 modded RP's the T20HS (in honor of Hiroaki & Smeggy), T60HSK (Hiroaki, Smeggy, Kintsaki) as described above and
my moded Smeggy Thunderpants now called "BeatTheirPants" with the "Kintsaki Ring " mod the only 100% woody RP.

More to come Soon ...
I became addicted to reference phase and went ahead and got me the new Clear Phase Sony Walkman.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #218 of 1,450
Alpha Pads (I have more pads than Zeos) are flowed and don't work for half the people
being square they do not achieve perfect seal. Bass is bloated and soundstage restricted.
Covering the pads defeats Hiroaki's elegant attempt to create an IMF transmission line and results

I will soon show pictures of my moded Smeggy Thunderpants that I called it "BeatTheirPants"
which was the predecessor to my moded T60 and the beginning of some serious effort to
construct a 100% wooden headphone with 4th generation RP drivers geared for experimentation by non
technical users.

Yes please, share the mods you are using and possibly effect on the sound you hear.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #219 of 1,450
Yes briefly it is a dynamic not a much for the TH-900 with ZMF pads - the successor of the Denon DH2000 - which was a long love affair. The
TH900 is destroyed by my 3 modded RP's the T20HS (in honor of Hiroaki & Smeggy), T60HSK (Hiroaki, Smeggy, Kintsaki) as described above and
my moded Smeggy Thunderpants now called "BeatTheirPants" with the "Kintsaki Ring " mod the only 100% woody RP.

More to come Soon ...
I became addicted to reference phase and went ahead and got me the new Clear Phase Sony Walkman.

TH-500RP uses the same RP drivers as the T-50rp etc.... It's overly warm in my opinion, and lacks air and treble presence.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #220 of 1,450
TH-500RP uses the same RP drivers as the T-50rp etc.... It's overly warm in my opinion, and lacks air and treble presence.

That sound signature description sounds to me like a T20RP, and that would make sense since the TH-500RP is open and so is the T20RP.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #221 of 1,450

technical users.

The older Alpha pads used different foam (not as good, more squishy don't cover ear right) and they just sound great on my Alpha Prime's and the ZMF is a more rigid close second.

How does being square stop a seal when the pad is adjusted into the proper position. I have them adjusted and the seal perfect. You must rotate until wide section is covering the lower rear corner, which means the seam line is higher on the front, not straight.

I hope you have better hygiene than Zeos. :darthsmile: Oh and Smeggy's FTW!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #222 of 1,450

technical users.

Which ZMF pads? He has several now.

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #224 of 1,450
Which ZMF pads? He has several now.

ZMF oval lambskins or protein leather, then there is the Alpha pads which are my favorite. I was told by a MrSpeakers rep that they use a denser memory foam which is superior to the first revisions which I had and were a bit squished.

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #225 of 1,450
I'm returning mine in exchange for another pair as the creaking just interfered with my listening pleasure

I think the creaking is normal for these, do you have a t50rp? if so i suggest the Argon internal mod for $60, deerskin strap for $25. Modhouse also sells the ZMF's but you can always use your own pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back