Fostex T50RP; First impressions
Jul 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Stitch

500+ Head-Fier
Another praise for the fostex T50RP!

I just received my first ortho's, a pair of Fostex T50RP. Bought them for 95 euro used from Shamu144. They are modded so im not sure(yet) how the original sound.
This are my first impressions.  I'm not sure if its fair to pitch them “against”the DT880/250 and the SR325is.
Music listened to is Iron miaden – “Aces High” and Vader – “Art of War”. I will take requests though.
Maidens legendary heavy metal should not need an intro. Vader is fast, brutal, bit technical death metal, my favorite 
evil_smiley.gif
 . With the uprising of metalheads on head-fi these days, this one is for you :)
Gear;
Stello CDT100, DacMagic, Headamp GS-1.

Lows;
A bit stronger but with equal impact of the 325is
Better than the DT880, stronger and better impact

Mids;
Less agressive and “in your face” than the 325is but still verry good and detailed.
A lot better than the DT880, stronger and better detail.

Highs;
Good, detailed and very easy on the ears.
Does not reach the levels of the 325is by a good margin.
Its not as harsh but also lacks some reach.
I like the highs a bit better than the 880, not much though.

Overall detail and clarity;
I like the details but it sounds darker than the 325is, no surprise there.
At the first song it felt like it was a bit muffled/veiled but that feeling passed soon enough.
I'm not just used to closed cans :) The difference in soundstage is what gave me mixed feelings the first few minutes but thats another obvious difference with closed phones.
They are definitely fast! They can easily deliver the insane double bass found on most Vader albums.

Comfort;
They dont reach DT880 comfort but they feel good, the (p)leather is bit warm though.

I like them so far. They sound good with heavy metal, not as cutthroat as the 325is but definitely nice. Would i recommend them for heavy metal at this point? Yes, If soundstage is not overly important. Mids are strong/agressive enough for heavy metal, bass is good too, highs are nice and detailed. And they are fast! Did i mention that? :)

The longer they are on my head the more i like them.
Verry good pair! Thanks Olivier!

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 11
Jul 7, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
I've read that one. Basicly your guilty to pull me over to look for a pair 
very_evil_smiley.gif

\What pulled me over was the part about RAtM.

HAHA!!!

but it is sad that when there is too much coming to the cans, it can't decide what to play and just separates what comes first.

The T50RP are weird because they play acoustic and metal extremely well. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 11
It depends on what kind of metal. Darker/heavier sorts go very well. I tried Ayreon, which is incredibely complex and fast prog rock/metal opera, and its boring while its intresting and engaging on the DT800. Clearly due to the difference in soundstage.
I'm now listening to "Helloween - The Dark Ride", dark power metal and it goes very wel. It puills out the deep mids and lows very well. 
Next try will be Doom metal. "Swallow the Sun - The Morning Never Came"

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
It depends on what kind of metal. Darker/heavier sorts go very well. I tried Ayreon, which is incredibely complex and fast prog rock/metal opera, and its boring while its intresting and engaging on the DT800. 
I'm now listening to "Helloween - The Dark Ride", dark power metal and it goes very wel. It puills out the deep mids and lows very well.
Next try will be Doom metal. "Swallow the Sun - The Morning Never Came"

Blackwater falls by Opeth is my favorite.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
The T50RP are weird because they play acoustic and metal extremely well. 

I think that just means they're really good. 
biggrin.gif

Also, Pitch Black Progress by Scar Symmetry and Sinthetic by Shade Empire

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 11
I just popped in the most recent album from Vintersorg, "Jordpuls"(earthpulse). Progessive black metal. He uses grunt, low and high clean vocals, mostly swedish. He is one of the best metal composers around.
It sounds pretty d@mn good. Soundstage isnt a real great demand on this record. It sounds detailed, tight and fast. Its just obvious that the high reach isn't the T50RP's best area. Mr V has
boatloads(major understatement) of detail in his music and it comes out verry good. To anyone not familiar with his work i would also suggest to give it a try :)

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Cuuuuuuuurses...

More poisonous words from Head-Fi... my wallet is screaming in agony.

They are cheap and will make you think twice about anything more expensive. GO FOR IT!!!

DOITDOITDOIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back