Fostex T50RP 50th Anniversary Edition
Dec 15, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #271 of 426
The manufacturer talks about the differences like this:
T50 sound is for studio use, T60 is more hi-fi.
The T5050 is in the same vein as the T50, but a little more hi-fi.

Yesterday I was at a local store listening to the T50/T60/T5050.
I took the T50 home and installed the ear pads from the T60.

In my opinion, the difference between 50 and 5050 in sound is minimal, if any.

Comfort is different, but on the T50 you can put a belt, stretch them a little so that they don’t press, and the weight is only 315 grams.

I returned them because of the difference in the frequency response of the left and right speakers.
In the left channel, frequencies from 30 - 300 hertz are a little louder, this spoils the stereo picture.
If you managed to find an even pair of Fostex, that's great.

By the way, the original orange cord is good, soft, almost non-microphone.

There is an error in the header of this topic, the T5050 weighs 384 grams, due to the rubber headband.

photo_2023-12-11_21-11-35.jpg

photo_2023-12-11_21-11-35 (2).jpg

Dec 17, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #273 of 426
Looks like the headphone gods don't want me to have Fostex headphones. My ebay order was cancelled without reason, rather OOS or damaged was listed. @$#@!@*!@$$!#!@*!@!$#!#!!!!!!!!
You might try this eBay listing. I was on there earlier today and this dealer had more than 10 available according to his listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235181699256?hash=item36c1ebf0b8:g:zfQAAOSwx01k9ylf&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0MCfK8c1ZP1oJCntAqBYxDOCpbx8NrZ1n4rMMzIGJs5gMqIryUB5FvBhyu4NIlTYWSTmjW1HfzydDXriMp4eat9RZrlmCGerenSS/B4wf4OeoIyra1IQFMLMvgsxt0J/mhVXYt0nIo7xTz+lZ9sfzySvqhVdIw683jLcE5c+GJ41sPEmku/AGnVHSTi7tw5xpJO2cdB6qxSaCnRl5fTNmldOjBYhw4Z12WstbOurfRSXDFya76XS0pV1Oh4YV0iZdK/ameRCwZZ1sHCa3Zx5p80=|tkp:Bk9SR_KynqiPYw

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #274 of 426
You might try this eBay listing. I was on there earlier today and this dealer had more than 10 available according to his listing.

hell no. I contacted that seller because his listing was charging IVA AAAAAAND VAT making them over $350 USD. I contacted and never got a response. oh and I'm looking at t60s now because I already bought a cable compatible with the t60. not a big fan of proprietary bs connections and I was going to make an exception but that ship has sailed.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #275 of 426
hell no. I contacted that seller because his listing was charging IVA AAAAAAND VAT making them over $350 USD. I contacted and never got a response. oh and I'm looking at t60s now because I already bought a cable compatible with the t60. not a big fan of proprietary bs connections and I was going to make an exception but that ship has sailed.
For what it's worth, I own the T60RP and T50RP MK3 and while I like both, I prefer the T60RP for its more refined sound signature. I run mine balanced from a few different headphone amplifiers: ifi Zen Can Signature HD6XX and Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum.
IMHO, the sound of the T60RP is quite good with both of these headphone amplifiers.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #277 of 426
oh yeah. just rub it in. just spent $260 on a fiio k7 and ~$80 of accessories like pads and cables and I got nothing but elephant ears to show for it. lol. in other news I feel a lot better after leaving negative feedback.
Can't you use the pads on the T60RP? And the Fiio K7 is a nice addition to any headphone rig. As for audio cables, they're like sweaters
in that you can never have too many. lol

Dec 18, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #278 of 426
Can't you use the pads on the T60RP? And the Fiio K7 is a nice addition to any headphone rig. As for audio cables, they're like sweaters
in that you can never have too many. lol

yeah. I'm eager to compare with k7 vs G5 power and sound. I have too many cables but this one wasn't crazy expensive but I don't think straight 3.5trrs to straight 4.4trrs is very common. I'm probably hella wrong but I don't have anything in the collection left that is balanced so I'd rather not have another cable I don't use. if I spend $500-$600 I could have t50 mk III or t60s delivered fairly quick but then that just makes you go well what could I get for $400 or $500. lmao. I might end up using that link I posted earlier. waiting for a reply. I'm also eager to get these for the tinkering.

Dec 18, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #279 of 426
yeah. I'm eager to compare with k7 vs G5 power and sound. I have too many cables but this one wasn't crazy expensive but I don't think straight 3.5trrs to straight 4.4trrs is very common. I'm probably hella wrong but I don't have anything in the collection left that is balanced so I'd rather not have another cable I don't use. if I spend $500-$600 I could have t50 mk III or t60s delivered fairly quick but then that just makes you go well what could I get for $400 or $500. lmao. I might end up using that link I posted earlier. waiting for a reply. I'm also eager to get these for the tinkering.

I use the 3.5trrs to 4.4trrs cable when running my balanced headphones from the 4.4trrs balanced out of my ifi Zen Can Signature HD6XX. Regarding the premium buyers outside of the United States pay, if you're not living in the United States you really can get hosed on additional charges like VAT in Europe. I know Schiit Audio owners who paid at least a third more than their American counterparts for the same audio component. And they don't have as good a selection, and must often wait for months or longer before their Schiit distributor has access to the company's newest gear. Sometimes some gear that's available in the United States is never made available to other countries. I purchased all of my headphones used to save some money. Oftentimes you'll also get extras that the original owner purchased (balanced cables, extra head pads, carrying case etc.), which saves even more money. It also makes this hobby a bit more affordable. 🙄

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #280 of 426
the headphone gods are still f'ing with me. to make a long story extra short hopefully I might have some refurbished by fostex t60s before the year ends. what's sad is my headphone usage is probably like 15% max due to ear sensitivities and heat. in case anybody still sitting on the fence $199 t60 refurbs from fostex and free shipping (cont48) @ djdigitalgear.

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #281 of 426
the headphone gods are still f'ing with me. to make a long story extra short hopefully I might have some refurbished by fostex t60s before the year ends. what's sad is my headphone usage is probably like 15% max due to ear sensitivities and heat. in case anybody still sitting on the fence $199 t60 refurbs from fostex and free shipping (cont48) @ djdigitalgear.
$199 is decent for a quality refurbish. I paid $271 delivered for a lightly used pair of T60RP's.. They're in excellent shape and the purchase included both balanced and single ended Fostex headphone cables plus a carrying case and an extra set of new ear pads. This is why I prefer to buy used when I can, since the inflation of a new component has been removed once it hits the used market. Also, IME T60RP's are nowhere as common on the used market as T50RP's are. So when you see a pair and the price is right it makes sense to snag them.

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #285 of 426
Wow what a cool color scheme

the 50/50s are indeed very cool looking. anybody happen to know if you can buy parts from fostex? having t50/50 sliders on a t60 with cups stained darker would be magnificent.

btw, where does one get fostex headphone parts? with all the modding I'm sure people have broken or messed up something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back