Fostex T-X0 Massdrop edition
Dec 15, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #212 of 242
I like them, they are well build and very comfortable. earpads and leather headband are great. Compared to my regular HD650 they are on the heavy side and sit a bit loose on the head.
They are darker than the HD650 with more bass and more clarity in the treble (read - more pronounced treble). It's very nicely V-shaped. I wouldn't describe the treble rolled, it's more a recessed upper midrange or lower treble. Tonaliy is somewhere between HD650 and Audioquest Nighhawk (leather earpads). People comming from a dt880 or simillar will find them very dark.
Bass is good and midrange isn't too coloured, less so then what the Nighthawk does. Treble is on the slightly harsh side, it's not as smooth as HD650 but still good. Nothing to be bothered about.
Compared to the usual contenders in the sub 200$ pricerange I prefer the Fostex over dt990 and k712. HD650 beats them if you spend a fortune on amp and dac. And HD650 is more neutral and "less fun".
Of course the Fostex likes a powerfull amp.

Is is possible to get replacements for the earpads?

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #213 of 242
I like them, they are well build and very comfortable. earpads and leather headband are great. Compared to my regular HD650 they are on the heavy side and sit a bit loose on the head.
They are darker than the HD650 with more bass and more clarity in the treble (read - more pronounced treble). It's very nicely V-shaped. I wouldn't describe the treble rolled, it's more a recessed upper midrange or lower treble. Tonaliy is somewhere between HD650 and Audioquest Nighhawk (leather earpads). People comming from a dt880 or simillar will find them very dark.
Bass is good and midrange isn't too coloured, less so then what the Nighthawk does. Treble is on the slightly harsh side, it's not as smooth as HD650 but still good. Nothing to be bothered about.
Compared to the usual contenders in the sub 200$ pricerange I prefer the Fostex over dt990 and k712. HD650 beats them if you spend a fortune on amp and dac. And HD650 is more neutral and "less fun".
Of course the Fostex likes a powerfull amp.

Is is possible to get replacements for the earpads?

The stock pads are probably these: https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/headphone-pad-hybrid

There are also lots of other options if you want to experiment with different pads.

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #214 of 242
I received the Dekoni Elite Velour pads I bought from Massdrop today:
20171218_151815_DxO.jpg
20171218_162230_DxO.jpg

Comparing to the stock pads, the Dekoni pads have slightly smaller opening, and are slightly thicker when installed. The Dekoni velour fablic is also softer than the stock velour fabric. So comfort is better.

Sound wise, they are quite similar, with the Dekoni pads having a more natural treble decay which I like. The Dekoni pads also has a tiny bit more more sub bass, likely because the memory foam used give slightly better sealing.

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #221 of 242
Does anyone know how to tame the treble a bit? Applied Mayflower Mod Kit (clay, felt and dampening foam) but without cotton onto T-X0. It is very close to my preference in terms of sound. Only issue is that treble has a bit of sibilance. Is there any way to tame the treble a bit so easier to listen for long hour listening? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #222 of 242
You can try adding toilet or tissue paper on the earside of the driver, last time I added 3 layers, it darkened the sound and the treble was pushed back alittle.

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #223 of 242
You can try adding toilet or tissue paper on the earside of the driver, last time I added 3 layers, it darkened the sound and the treble was pushed back alittle.

Thank you very much. I will try shortly. :) Out of curiosity, does adding cotton inside driver/earcup makes same effect? Mayflower Mod Kit came with cotton but I did not use it but just used clay, felt and dampening foam. By adding cotton inside driver, soundstage reduce a bit...

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #225 of 242
For me, I felt cotton make the biggest impact on bass. Without any cotton, the low end was abit boomy and lacking any impact even with 3/4 of bass port taped up. With cotton, the bass tighten up with more midbass punch and generally much faster, however the tradeoff is that the bass and lower mids lacks some body

You can try experimenting with different amount of cotton

Users who are viewing this thread

Back