Fostex T-X0 Massdrop edition
Jun 7, 2017 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 242

ilcg1

100+ Head-Fier
Couldn't find a thread on this, decided to create one. Massdrop version of Fostex 50RP MKii

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-t-x0-planar-magnetic-headphones

Entry-Level Planar Magnetics
Following the success of our last collaboration with Fostex, the TH-X00, we’ve teamed up to make a new headphone: a custom production version of the much-loved, oft-modded Fostex T50RP. Introducing the Massdrop x Fostex T-X0, a resurrection of the discontinued MKII with the original tooling and a few key updates. Along with a fresh stealthy, streamlined aesthetic, it has more breathable ear pads, a more comfortable headband, and a shorter, more manageable cable. Finally, the sound has been tuned based on feedback from the audiophile community, delivering coherence, richness, and great bass slam while retaining clarity and speed.

Note: These headphones will be available starting Monday, June 12 at 6 a.m. PST. for $149.99. This is the final run of headphones with MKII tooling. Only 1,900 pairs will be available and all will be serialized.

The World’s Most Modified Headphone
From Fostex’s RP Series of planar-magnetic headphones, the T50RP has long been used in professional audio applications. And because the sound can be widely manipulated with physical modifications (like damping, vents, and alternative materials), this model is a favorite of audiophiles and DIYers as well. Its design has been modified for comfort and durability, too, with different headbands and ear pads, and in some cases, entirely new assemblies. Over time, DIY enthusiasts have formed companies and begun offering commercial versions of modified T50RP headphones. These have ranged in price from $269 to $1,200, depending on the materials used and the extent of the changes made.

Original Tooling, New Look & Feel
Featuring the same tooling as the T50RP MKII, the T-X0 uses Fostex’s proprietary Regular Phase planar-magnetic diaphragm driver with a neodymium magnet and copper foil–etched polyimide film. Based on community feedback, Massdrop worked with Fostex to add filters and materials in front of and behind the driver, along with a gasket between the driver and plate, resulting in flattened mids and elevated low bass and upper mids. Custom laser-cut foam in the recesses of the ear cups provides extra damping. The deeper ear pads are made of velour and perforated protein leather to feel and breathe better, and the additional leather headband distributes weight evenly and won’t yank out your hair. Understated in black and brown with minimal printing, the T-X0 is complete with adjustable sliders and a detachable 6.6-foot cable.

Specs
  • Massdrop x Fostex
  • Closed principle
  • T50RP MKII version driver
  • Rubber headband with additional leather strap
  • Hybrid ear pads with perforated protein leather and velour cushioning
  • Laser-cut acoustic damping foam
  • Adjustable sliders
  • Detachable 6.6 ft (2 m) cable with ¼ in (6.35 mm) gold-plated stereo plug
  • Impedance: 50 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 92 dB (at 1 kHz, 1 mW)
  • Frequency response: 15 Hz–35 kHz
  • Maximum input power: 3,000 mW
  • Weight, excluding cable: 13.6 oz (385 g)
  • Individually serialized

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 242
I'm very curious about this drop. I know nothing about the MKII, other than it's a modder's delight. Is the MKIII that much of an improvement or is the MKII sufficiently awesome? How's the sub-bass and treble response? I would love a new all-purpose pair to replace my m50x.

Jun 7, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 242
IMG_9046.JPG
IMG_9047.JPG
IMG_9048.JPG
IMG_9049.JPG

Jun 7, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 242
I'm very curious about this drop. I know nothing about the MKII, other than it's a modder's delight. Is the MKIII that much of an improvement or is the MKII sufficiently awesome? How's the sub-bass and treble response? I would love a new all-purpose pair to replace my m50x.

Thinking the same thing. How much of improvement it is over mkiii? I hope some reviews pop-up before the drop.

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 242
Thinking the same thing. How much of improvement it is over mkiii? I hope some reviews pop-up before the drop.
Apparently review samples are going out but is that gonna happen by Monday? Doubtful.

Jun 8, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 242
It's a very interesting drop especially because it's based on the mkII. Since this model is out of production, this is a great opportunity for anyone who plans on doing some modding.

Do you think we'll have an episode of Head-Fi TV dedicated to this drop? Seems like there has been an episode for each major massdrop announcement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back