Fostex T-X0 Massdrop edition
Dec 1, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #197 of 242
Just received my T-X0 back after sending them to Modhouse for Argon modding. Initial impression is that they sound great, and much better than the stock T-X0, although I'm not as sure yet how I'd compare them against the stock MKIII with Shure alcantara pads.

Now I just need to adjust the tighten down the sliders a little bit. Why on earth did Massdrop use security screws for the headband?

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #198 of 242
I got the HM5 sheepskins on. They weren't too bad to put on.

I can't say I really hear any kind of improvement. In fact, they maybe sound MORE closed off and muddy. With less top end.

For a practical example: Mummer's Dance: Loreena's vocals were muddy, overly bassy, and just extremely unpleasant to listen to (almost like a low frequency resonance, like when the kids turn hte bass up) with the HM5s. On the pads it came with, she sounds great.

They are way squishy too and not super comfortable.

Im going to send them back. Ick.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #200 of 242
Okay, so I stuff some cotton gauze inside the cups while leaving the bass ports completely open, then put a thin foam on top of all the cotton to hold them in place. Next I added tissue paper on the earside (I put 4 layers to attenuate the peaky treble at the cost of some clarity)

I'm pretty darn impressed by the sound. As compared to the stock, it have more midbass impact while retaining the bass linearity and in general the whole bass frequency is much clearer.
Mids are much more forward with more body/clarity/smoothness. Highs are not peaky anymore, it has just the right amount of air, sparkle and smoothness

In fact, compared to my HE-4XX which I just received few days back, I'm actually preferring my modded T-X0 more :L3000:

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #204 of 242
Anyone try to open these yet, mine seems to have a bunch of adhesive stuck to it.

Yeap I opened mine. I'm assuming you are referring to the black adhesive that goes around the circumference of the cup. The adhesive used is pretty crappy actually, the first time I opened, the adhesive tore and mangled into itself, in the end I scrapped out all of them. Now I'm much happier, since its easier to open the cup

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #205 of 242
Yeap I opened mine. I'm assuming you are referring to the black adhesive that goes around the circumference of the cup. The adhesive used is pretty crappy actually, the first time I opened, the adhesive tore and mangled into itself, in the end I scrapped out all of them. Now I'm much happier, since its easier to open the cup

Really? I couldn't pry mine open... Not without the fear of breaking the cover at least.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #206 of 242
Really? I couldn't pry mine open... Not without the fear of breaking the cover at least.

The first time its hard to open is partly because of the adhesive, and the cover sits too deep into the cup without any leverage for your fingers to pry it open.

I used an extremely thin tweezer and forced it into the gap between cover and cup (don't worry, it won't break or deform your cover, the plastic are soft and flexible enough to allow the tweezer in), using it as a lever to pry open just enough area for my thumb to get a good grip to pry it open.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #207 of 242
The first time its hard to open is partly because of the adhesive, and the cover sits too deep into the cup without any leverage for your fingers to pry it open.

I used an extremely thin tweezer and forced it into the gap between cover and cup (don't worry, it won't break or deform your cover, the plastic are soft and flexible enough to allow the tweezer in), using it as a lever to pry open just enough area for my thumb to get a good grip to pry it open.

Ah alright. I'll try that. Thanks!

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #208 of 242
Anyone try to open these yet, mine seems to have a bunch of adhesive stuck to it.

Some pictures would be appreciated. :L3000:

Dec 11, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #209 of 242
I've been playing with pads and keep coming back to the stock pads as my preferred listening experience.

I listened with the HM5 pads for about a week and though there was significantly more bass, the soundstage suffered terribly and it was like listening to my music coming at me from the end of a (bassy) hallway.

Also, I tried out the stock velour Beyerdynamic DT-770 pads for about a week as well. Again, the soundstage seemed to suffer and the low end was especially anemic.

Just now I slipped the stock pads back on (after HM5's) and it just sounds "right" to my ears.

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #210 of 242
Some pictures would be appreciated. :L3000:

20171201_221916_HDR.jpg

Here you go, the first time when I opened it. You can see the black thin adhesive tape along the circumference of the cup. I tore all of them off when putting back the cover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back