Fostex T-X0 Massdrop edition
Feb 1, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #226 of 242
For me, I felt cotton make the biggest impact on bass. Without any cotton, the low end was abit boomy and lacking any impact even with 3/4 of bass port taped up. With cotton, the bass tighten up with more midbass punch and generally much faster, however the tradeoff is that the bass and lower mids lacks some body

You can try experimenting with different amount of cotton

Great to know. :) After adding clay, dampening foam and felt as well as cotton, the bass is very very tight... By removing cotton but keep the rest makes wider in soundstage and more bass quantity for me. After adding layers of paper towel inside earpad taming the treble to my preference. I will do some more testing along the way as you suggested. Thanks.

Feb 1, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #227 of 242
For me, I felt cotton make the biggest impact on bass. Without any cotton, the low end was abit boomy and lacking any impact even with 3/4 of bass port taped up. With cotton, the bass tighten up with more midbass punch and generally much faster, however the tradeoff is that the bass and lower mids lacks some body

You can try experimenting with different amount of cotton

You are RIGHT.. I did further listening just now and without cotton, the bass get too boomy. Put back the cotton and just add 2 layers of perforated paper towel inside earpad is so far the best outcome achieved. I will leave it at this for the time being until there is another mod that surpass this. Thanks for sharing your feedback. It was very helpful. :)

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #228 of 242
You are RIGHT.. I did further listening just now and without cotton, the bass get too boomy. Put back the cotton and just add 2 layers of perforated paper towel inside earpad is so far the best outcome achieved. I will leave it at this for the time being until there is another mod that surpass this. Thanks for sharing your feedback. It was very helpful. :)

I did the Mayflower mod and I didn't think it sounded good at all with the stock pads. once I got the Shure pads, things made a lot more sense

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #230 of 242
Still hate to use this cans... Dunno why but bass sounds like 20 years old dry drum. All i hear is dull boxy boom around low end... Pad swap never helped to get ridrid of that annoying frequency.

Shure 1540, dekoni velour... I really dunno what to do to even start enjoying this purchase. Should i send it to argon?

Mar 25, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #231 of 242
I hear you, the dampening on the inside isn´t good. Bass is not that great compared to my modded mk3.. You can try to stuff some cotton/wool/polyfill (or felt on the back of the driver) in the cups, should definitely help tighten the bass.
I will try to tinker with these after I finish AlphaDog project

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #232 of 242
Still hate to use this cans... Dunno why but bass sounds like 20 years old dry drum. All i hear is dull boxy boom around low end... Pad swap never helped to get ridrid of that annoying frequency.

Shure 1540, dekoni velour... I really dunno what to do to even start enjoying this purchase. Should i send it to argon?

Argon modding is worth it IMO

May 29, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #233 of 242
I added a set of Dekoni sheepskin earpads to my T-X0 cans that I currently listen to through a Project Sunrise III hybrid amp. I think the pads help out a lot with making the bass less muddy and more accurate.

Jul 6, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #234 of 242
If anyone in Europe is interested, I have an extra pair of T-X0 (can add upgrade V-moda cable and/or orange cable from mk3).
I can mod it or let it go stock.

edit: Listed on eeebay

fostex.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #235 of 242
My Fostex (Massdrop) T-X0 arrived a few days ago, so far two thumbs up :)

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #238 of 242
These got to be one of the worst sounding headphone I've ever heard. I now understand why people have been modding T50rp

My thoughts also. I really wanted to like the T-X0, but to me they sound muffled and dark even when given all the power they could use. Unless mine are defective, I don't see how any mod which retains these drivers in these housings could change the quality so drastically as to make me like them.

On a related note, anyone looking to buy a used pair? ~600 serial number as if that matters.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #239 of 242
My thoughts also. I really wanted to like the T-X0, but to me they sound muffled and dark even when given all the power they could use. Unless mine are defective, I don't see how any mod which retains these drivers in these housings could change the quality so drastically as to make me like them.

On a related note, anyone looking to buy a used pair? ~600 serial number as if that matters.
I'll take that garbage off your hands for $50.

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #240 of 242
Just give it a try. Modhouse can convert this cans from awfull to perfect. I would say that after Modhouse they sound like my beloved Fostex th600 but with less piercing highs and more subbass if it's even possible when we speaking about subbase from th600 :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back