Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
May 15, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #1,051 of 2,017
The stock cable is usable, but it is annoying. It has a lot of memory, the nubs for locking make it more difficult to use with some sources, and it is of low quality. When one end plugs into my headphones one of the channel drops out (other end is ok), and it also doesn't register as plugged in to my computers auto-sensing jacks.

I'm still using it, and Zeos is a little dramatic. However, it's the worst cable I've gotten with a pair of headphones that cost more than a few dollars.

May 15, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #1,052 of 2,017

Zeos? Not many reviews out there at the moment.  I like the look of the cans with the orange cable so it's my preferred option right now. It will probably get less rubbery with time and (ab)use anyway. I'm not sure I want to "operate" on them just yet though, too new and shiny :wink: 

Him, yes - his is the biggest voice. I saw another review - possibly two I don't remember - that were half-assed reviews but still complained about the cable.

It's not high quality, but honestly what do you want for a pair of planar headphones like this for $150? If you want Meze-level accessories, spend Meze-level prices. The cable isn't great, but it's certainly usable if you're not hard on your stuff.

May 16, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #1,053 of 2,017

Him, yes - his is the biggest voice. I saw another review - possibly two I don't remember - that were half-assed reviews but still complained about the cable.

It's not high quality, but honestly what do you want for a pair of planar headphones like this for $150? If you want Meze-level accessories, spend Meze-level prices. The cable isn't great, but it's certainly usable if you're not hard on your stuff.

The pads bother me the most, not really worried by cable quality at this stage. But yeah, it's all about the sound quality with these babies, all else can burn in hell hahah

May 16, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #1,057 of 2,017
  Are the best pads for the TRP50s the Shure 1540 Alcantara pads?  Is that the general consensus for sound quality and comfort?

I spent a lot of time looking for info on what pads to get, and I didn't see a clear single winner.  I think the three that get mentioned the most are the Sure 1540, the HM5 hybrids, and the Sure 840 in that order.  Other pads that some people have had luck with are the HM5 styles or the Sure 940.  

There is a reddit post [link] that has frequency response measurements of a good selection of pads.  It should give you some idea as to how the effect the sound and you can make an educated guess based on your preference.

I wound up with a pair of the HM5 hybrids because the 1540 alcantara pads are a little difficult to get right now and I don't find the stock pads that uncomfortable.  I'll refrain from commenting on their sound until I have a little more time to listen to them.

May 17, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #1,059 of 2,017
  is it a bit quite common problem that any of the right - left channel starts vibrating with distortion on the bass

even when it shouldn't

especially sub-bass

For me the t50rp can go very loud and with a lot sub-bass without noticeable distortion, even with bass boost.
In the other hand they are not very efficient so it might clip your amp.

May 17, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,060 of 2,017
  For me the t50rp can go very loud and with a lot sub-bass without noticeable distortion, even with bass boost.
In the other hand they are not very efficient so it might clip your amp.

its a powerful amp im using, seems like an reply before, that mine has broken somehow, or something is not right

May 17, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #1,061 of 2,017
I think one of the reasons these are inexpensive (relative to other planar magnetic headphones) and widely available is lackluster quality control.  The first pair I got had a major channel imbalance and the second pair had some slight rattling (not noticeable in normal listening situations) and a faulty cable.  It's a small sample size, but comments on this and other forums also indicate some quality control variance.  

May 19, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,062 of 2,017
Hi
Has anyone got the rebate? The rebate says that UPC from the Fostex RP MK3 packaging. Do we have to take a copy of the UPC or we have to cut the UPC code from the box. I have never submitted mail-in rebate. 

Thanks
Mani

May 19, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #1,064 of 2,017
  Hi
Has anyone got the rebate? The rebate says that UPC from the Fostex RP MK3 packaging. Do we have to take a copy of the UPC or we have to cut the UPC code from the box. I have never submitted mail-in rebate. 

Thanks
Mani

Hi Mani,

I have submitted my rebate, but in normal rebate fashion they make you wait 4 to 6 weeks for it to arrive; I'm coming up on 4 weeks, so no $50 yet :frowning2:

The actual UPC is required.  I typically use a razor blade, cut a square around the symbol and lift the printed layer off the rest of the cardboard making it easy to tape to the form.

A copy of your receipt is fine, and normally all one will have if purchased online.  I always circle the date, item model #, and price to make it easier for review.

This rebate also requires your signature.  Always read the rebate form closely and do exactly as asked and it should go smoothly.  I always make a copy of the submission, especially for this $ amount and keep it in my rebate file for follow-up if required.  Most rebates are paid without a problem.

Good luck !

I am totally enjoying my T50RP mk3's, reaching for them more frequently than my HE400i's that were my first venture into planar HPs.  I think I may keep an eye out for a set of Fostex TH500RP's which should elevate the comfort level, they are said to have the same driver as the T50RP so would expect a similar sound signature that I like a lot better than the HiFiMan..

May 19, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,065 of 2,017
Hi Mani,

I have submitted my rebate, but in normal rebate fashion they make you wait 4 to 6 weeks for it to arrive; I'm coming up on 4 weeks, so no $50 yet :frowning2:

The actual UPC is required.  I typically use a razor blade, cut a square around the symbol and lift the printed layer off the rest of the cardboard making it easy to tape to the form.

A copy of your receipt is fine, and normally all one will have if purchased online.  I always circle the date, item model #, and price to make it easier for review.

This rebate also requires your signature.  Always read the rebate form closely and do exactly as asked and it should go smoothly.  I always make a copy of the submission, especially for this $ amount and keep it in my rebate file for follow-up if required.  Most rebates are paid without a problem.

Good luck !

I am totally enjoying my T50RP mk3's, reaching for them more frequently than my HE400i's that were my first venture into planar HPs.  I think I may keep an eye out for a set of Fostex TH500RP's which should elevate the comfort level, they are said to have the same driver as the T50RP so would expect a similar sound signature that I like a lot better than the HiFiMan..

I've compared the t50rp mk3 and the th500rp.. They sounded quite similar but the th500 are a bit smoother on the mids and a bit more extension on the highs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back