Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
May 13, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #1,036 of 2,017
  Right, impressions after a week of using those babies (T50RPs):

Comfort... Clamping force and pads are crashing my ears/upper jaw. Can't wear them for more than 30-45 min at a time without needing a comfort rest. AKG702s have to come to the rescue regularly. Guess I'll wait for the community to agree on replacement pads. Those alcantara ones are a bitch to buy in Europe. 

Brain burn-in is ongoing, still getting ear fatigue after prolonged listening, brain can't deal with the bass/aural assault. So much detail, they are relentless/fast/aggressive at their presentation of information.

Sound quality is amazing, crystal clear and with all kinds of details popping up.

Cables are adequate I guess, although the cable lock on the cup is rubbish, pretty lacking. 

I l o v e how they look, the black/orange theme really does it for me.

Pad placement/positioning on your ears is very important, you need to adjust how they sit on your head/ears for best results.

I'd still recommend them in a heartbeat though, just expect a bit of hard love :wink:

You pretty much nailed it! I've had my set for about 3 weeks now I'm guessing, and my brain has *almost* adjusted.....I'm still befuddled at what I'd classify their sound signature as, though.

Is there a sound signature called "F'n Amazing"? Oh, and my pair at least continues to become easier to drive as they get burned in.

I'm still suffering along with the stock pads, but have the Shure 1540 pads pre-ordered as soon as US Amazon gets them in :)

May 13, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #1,037 of 2,017
  What kind of pads/filter material are most modders using for the vents and where to buy?
I suppose various thickness/density is key,right?

Yup, pretty much. I don't know what every modder use, but probably some options from here is good enough: http://www.aliexpress.com/af/category/200003017.html?d=n&isViewCP=y&CatId=200003017&catName=fabric&spm=2114.10010108.100004.6.PbjAGv&origin=n

Or mod kit order from https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphones/fostex-t50rp-mod-kit/, but i think is not worth the price if you are frome Europe. Shipping cost and taxes kill that deal pretty much.

May 13, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #1,038 of 2,017

Yeah, hard love, agree. But will get better you willl see, just give time your ears and brain to adjust. Also puting something under headband(foam or something thick) will rise comfort. Aso that mean, you will need to slide earcups on both sides, by doing that you will also reduce clamping force a bit in the end. If you make experiment you will see if you slide both ercups to maximum, you will greatly reduce clamping force. Also you can strech headband itself, this will reduce clamping force even more. For pads...If you like sound and don't want to change it, the safest option to retain sound characteristic and rise comfort are Shure 840 pads. If you have problem with fatigue, try put somethig(foam with not to much dampening factor) in front of driver baffle, which will cover whole driver. This will filter sound a bit, but will reduce spikes. Like what i did: 

200x200px-ZC-7ff00f3a_IMG_20160217_210612.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-b1070690_IMG_20160217_210744.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-373e0263_IMG_20160217_214943.jpeg

May 14, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,039 of 2,017
Can anyone recommend a good case or bag for the Fostex tx0rp series? I don't need anything too protective, but I bring them back in forth to work in a larger bag. I've just been using the bubble wrap bag they came with which works fine, but not the nicest looking.

May 14, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #1,042 of 2,017
I tried them out but had to return because they were just too hard to drive. I had heard there could be some variation between pairs in terms of effeciency so hoped they could sound decent out of my iPhone but even at max volume it was pretty thin sounding. It was fine on my O2 but on high gain though and at 12:00 on dial. Kind of surprised at how much juice they needed. I actually didn't have a problem with comfort. The pads are not great but not as terrible as what some people have said. Solidly built too.

May 14, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #1,043 of 2,017
I tried them out but had to return because they were just too hard to drive. I had heard there could be some variation between pairs in terms of effeciency so hoped they could sound decent out of my iPhone but even at max volume it was pretty thin sounding. It was fine on my O2 but on high gain though and at 12:00 on dial. Kind of surprised at how much juice they needed. I actually didn't have a problem with comfort. The pads are not great but not as terrible as what some people have said. Solidly built too.

Yeah, they're definitely hard to drive, I don't imagine they'd sound great out of any smartphone. My V10 can get them to listenable levels in terms volume, but only near max and they don't sound very good. And this is the same phone I happily used my HD600s with

May 14, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #1,044 of 2,017

They aren't the kind of headphone you can run from a phone without an amp, but even with a portable amp they'll still ge decen sound.

May 14, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,045 of 2,017

I rarely use them with my iPhone 6s Plus, but when I do, there is a small portable amp or DAC/amp in between. Since the DAC in the 6s Plus is decent, sometimes I just use a FiiO E6 amp and while it isn't a mind blowing experience, it's still quite enjoyable to me.

May 15, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #1,046 of 2,017

My LG G4 is able to drive the T50 Mk3's......kind of.....at 100% volume. Volume was okay-ish, but the actual sound was flat.

Added in my OPPO HA-2 portable DAC/amp, and the change was immediate and blatantly obvious. Toggling the Bass Boost switch on the OPPO brings even more wonderment......the Mk 3's absolutely LOVE it!!

Honestly, if anyone thinks their phone is powering the Mk3's "just fine"....you're (probably) wrong. Add in a good DAC/amp and prepare to be impressed.

May 15, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #1,047 of 2,017
  My LG G4 is able to drive the T50 Mk3's......kind of.....at 100% volume. Volume was okay-ish, but the actual sound was flat.

Added in my OPPO HA-2 portable DAC/amp, and the change was immediate and blatantly obvious. Toggling the Bass Boost switch on the OPPO brings even more wonderment......the Mk 3's absolutely LOVE it!!

Honestly, if anyone thinks their phone is powering the Mk3's "just fine"....you're (probably) wrong. Add in a good DAC/amp and prepare to be impressed.

Which one do you enjoy more, T50RPmk3 or TH-X00?

Moto X 2014 can drive Mk3 at reasonable volume(enough for people around me to hear what I'm listening), but definitely not enough. On my desktop I can get a lot more volume with ODAC+SMSL sApII, however, I don't notice any difference in quality/sound signature compared to my Moto X. Do you think my amp is not good enough for these headphones? I'm wondering if I'm actually using them at their full potential.

May 15, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #1,048 of 2,017
Oh, my Purplehearts are on order, I won't receive them until August :frowning2:

But I fully expect the X00 to supplant the T50 Mk3 as my favorite headphone when I finally get them.

I can't speak to different DACs and amps, I'm fairly new at this and what you see in my sig is all I've owned LOL!

The one exception is I do own a SMSL SD-793III, but I've never been able to get the blasted thing to work on either my desktop or my laptop >.< So unfortunately, I can't give a comparison there.

May 15, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #1,049 of 2,017

Comfort... Clamping force and pads are crashing my ears/upper jaw. Can't wear them for more than 30-45 min at a time without needing a comfort rest. AKG702s have to come to the rescue regularly. Guess I'll wait for the community to agree on replacement pads. Those alcantara ones are a bitch to buy in Europe. 

Brain burn-in is ongoing, still getting ear fatigue after prolonged listening, brain can't deal with the bass/aural assault. So much detail, they are relentless/fast/aggressive at their presentation of information.

Sound quality is amazing, crystal clear and with all kinds of details popping up.

Cables are adequate I guess, although the cable lock on the cup is rubbish, pretty lacking. 

I l o v e how they look, the black/orange theme really does it for me.

Pad placement/positioning on your ears is very important, you need to adjust how they sit on your head/ears for best results.

I'd still recommend them in a heartbeat though, just expect a bit of hard love :wink:

The locking cable irritated me too, until I took a razor blade and nicked those two little lock tabs off the one end. Now it sticks in, swivels fine, and still doesn't have any danger of popping out. I left them on the other end since they're not currently in the way and I may want to lock them into the cup.....for some currently unknown reason. I don't quite get why the orange cable gets a bad review by *ahem* certain YouTubers. I think it works fine; it certainly looks fine and sounds good. A tad rubbery, which isn't exactly my thing but then it's not too rubbery either.

May 15, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,050 of 2,017
  The locking cable irritated me too, until I took a razor blade and nicked those two little lock tabs off the one end. Now it sticks in, swivels fine, and still doesn't have any danger of popping out. I left them on the other end since they're not currently in the way and I may want to lock them into the cup.....for some currently unknown reason. I don't quite get why the orange cable gets a bad review by *ahem* certain YouTubers. I think it works fine; it certainly looks fine and sounds good. A tad rubbery, which isn't exactly my thing but then it's not too rubbery either.

Zeos? Not many reviews out there at the moment.  I like the look of the cans with the orange cable so it's my preferred option right now. It will probably get less rubbery with time and (ab)use anyway. I'm not sure I want to "operate" on them just yet though, too new and shiny :wink: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back