Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
May 9, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #1,021 of 2,017
Quick question: My HM5 angled pads just arrived. Old pancakes popped off easily - the HM5's are a tad smaller. How do you guys get them on without ripping? Any trick to it?

Thanks!

Take your time and stretch them carefully. You can also try to put them over a bowl or something to stretch them a bit over the night.

Don't not try to remove anything from them. There'sa thin rubber ring inside on the back and if that's destroyed they will get way to loose and be practically unusable (trust me I've experienced it :wink:).

May 9, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,022 of 2,017
Take your time and stretch them carefully. You can also try to put them over a bowl or something to stretch them a bit over the night.

Don't not try to remove anything from them. There'sa thin rubber ring inside on the back and if that's destroyed they will get way to loose and be practically unusable (trust me I've experienced it
wink.gif
).

I have a jar with a cap and opening that was the perfect size - I popped the Hybrids on there for about ten minutes, and then they went on pretty easily to the cans. This isn't something that can be rushed, apparently. But any good quest never is.

In the meantime, on a dumb side note, the AKG pads that come with the K240 MKII fit like a glove - the only problemo is that there's no foam film between you and the drivers. But, just in case someone has that spare set of velour pads from a K240 floating around, they fit nice and give your ears a little space to breathe. You'll have to supply your own the foam film; the AKG pads are just donuts. The padding is stiffer but comfortable, if you've never had this headphone.

In the meantime, my righteous jive pads, check it yo:

and for comparison the default pancakes and then the AKG spare pads:
Pancakes vs AKG pads

May 9, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #1,023 of 2,017
Pretty annoyed, because I still haven't found a place locally, that lets you demo the MK3s. And this has been happening since Christmas, give or take.

Anyway, $80 for the T20 MK2 or 150 for the T50 MK3?

edit - no bias, or should I just spend my money elsewhere.

May 10, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #1,024 of 2,017
  Pretty annoyed, because I still haven't found a place locally, that lets you demo the MK3s. And this has been happening since Christmas, give or take.

There's a $50 mail-in rebate on all Mk3's until July 31st :)

http://www.americanmusicandsound.com/en/pages/promos/promo_fostex_50_rebate_RPMK3_2016.html

May 10, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #1,026 of 2,017

I'd get the Mk3; it resolved some issues with the Mk2 they say - not like I'd know the difference but that's what I've read in several places (this thread one of them). Supposedly they all need a mod or two to sound really good, but I thought my Mk3 sounded flipping A right out of the box. I added thicker pads and then closed the ear vents to bring the bass back up more, that's it.

There's a $50 mail-in rebate on all Mk3's until July 31st :)

http://www.americanmusicandsound.com/en/pages/promos/promo_fostex_50_rebate_RPMK3_2016.html

I bought mine from a guy on eBay who did that - he said he wore them once and had to sell them because he didn't like the sound. I was all like "Wha-----?" My UPC is gone but I got a good deal on basically a brand new pair.

May 10, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #1,027 of 2,017

Anyone modded the T20RP or T40RP with great success?

Can the T40RP( closed) be easily/cheaply modded to perform like a semi or open model?

Have only t50, but as far as i know, t40 are the worst with modding as they have permanently sealed both cup vents(closed design), so you are restricted in some way(...sound stage), unless you want to drill, which can be easy or hard, depend on your skills and tools you use. But what is the point of doing that, if you can simply buy t20? T20 and t50 both have upper cup vent permanently sealed, they just use different damping material for sealing second cup vent. T50 have just stronger damping material(semi open design) glued over the vent, so they leak less sound compared to t20(open design). From modding stand point t50 and t20 both are the same as you can make all three versions from both of them. But winner is still t20 simply because is cheaper. For price of t50 you have t20+good pads, which is already part of modding process. You should buy t40 only, if you strictly want closed design and don't want to mess with modding a lot.

Edit: Actually i was wrong, all three versions have one vent permanently closed and one open, so you don't have to drill in T40 :) Is just T40 have strongest damping material, so they don't leak sound at all from vent. So that change my point a bit.

Quote:

Why not T20rp mk3 with rebate?

May 10, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #1,029 of 2,017
  Did anyone try an open back mod on the t50rp?
Does the driver appropriate for this kind on configuration?

As far as i know driver are the same on all three versions judging from innerfidelity pictures, so should be appropriate. Actually i can call now my t50 more like t20 as i cut off that filter from cup vent. Sound was becoming more open but a bit muddy, so i put in some foam and newplast and that resolve most of that problem.

May 10, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,030 of 2,017
  As far as i know driver are the same on all three versions judging from innerfidelity pictures, so should be appropriate. Actually i can call now my t50 more like t20 as i cut off that filter from cup vent. Sound was becoming more open but a bit muddy, so i put in some foam and newplast and that resolve most of that problem.

Thanks for your reply but are you sure your read my question?

May 13, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #1,035 of 2,017
Right, impressions after a week of using those babies (T50RPs):

Comfort... Clamping force and pads are crashing my ears/upper jaw. Can't wear them for more than 30-45 min at a time without needing a comfort rest. AKG702s have to come to the rescue regularly. Guess I'll wait for the community to agree on replacement pads. Those alcantara ones are a bitch to buy in Europe. 

Brain burn-in is ongoing, still getting ear fatigue after prolonged listening, brain can't deal with the bass/aural assault. So much detail, they are relentless/fast/aggressive at their presentation of information.

Sound quality is amazing, crystal clear and with all kinds of details popping up.

Cables are adequate I guess, although the cable lock on the cup is rubbish, pretty lacking. 

I l o v e how they look, the black/orange theme really does it for me.

Pad placement/positioning on your ears is very important, you need to adjust how they sit on your head/ears for best results.

I'd still recommend them in a heartbeat though, just expect a bit of hard love :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back