Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
May 4, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #991 of 2,017
Wanted everyone to know that the Shure 1540 alcantara replacement pads are finally available to order on Amazon. Not sure when they'll be shipped but you can place an order. I've tried a few pads now and none have worked out. Hoping these are the ones. :frowning2:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC1540-Replacement-Alcantara-Headphones/dp/B00HXAV0UY?ie=UTF8&keywords=shure%201540&qid=1462405844&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

May 4, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #992 of 2,017

Yes, I can purchase Brainwavz HM5 hybrid pad. I recently purchased Brainwavz HM5 normal pad which is sitting idle. I might sell it off and purchase hybrid one. Thank you for your suggestion :)

I found that the Brainwavz Velour Angled Memory Foam Pads work very well, and are very comfortable. It is a tight stretch, but they look custom once they are installed. I got mine from Amazon for $25/pair.

May 5, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #993 of 2,017
  I found that the Brainwavz Velour Angled Memory Foam Pads work very well, and are very comfortable. It is a tight stretch, but they look custom once they are installed. I got mine from Amazon for $25/pair.

Now I'm curious - I've seen the angled pads, but in reviews heard they mess up the sibilance or something? 

May 5, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #994 of 2,017
Now I'm curious - I've seen the angled pads, but in reviews heard they mess up the sibilance or something? 

Fwiw I've used the angled velour pads with my modded t50rp mk2 with great success. Maybe not the best if you're looking for maximum bass but yet enough and very enjoyable.

I think that people need to play around more with other mods as well as pads. Everytime I've changed pads on my mk2's (and that's quite a few) I've had to make other adjustments as well like playing around with the bass ports or the amount of filling in the cups.

Just my 2c from my experience over a couple of years with two pairs of the mk2 :)

May 5, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #995 of 2,017
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/1470#post_11129039

Now I'm testing the stratopad mod with incredible results. Currently I have some felt removal done inside the cups, and by putting the pad on over the baffle (not inside) and using the foam gathered from inside it under the pad decreases the treble spike and midbass hump really well.

May 5, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #996 of 2,017

Fwiw I've used the angled velour pads with my modded t50rp mk2 with great success. Maybe not the best if you're looking for maximum bass but yet enough and very enjoyable.

I think that people need to play around more with other mods as well as pads. Everytime I've changed pads on my mk2's (and that's quite a few) I've had to make other adjustments as well like playing around with the bass ports or the amount of filling in the cups.

Just my 2c from my experience over a couple of years with two pairs of the mk2
smily_headphones1.gif

Note that the Brainwavz Angled Pads are available in both velour and pleather. I don't know what effects the pleather pads create, but I am pleased with the smooth response that I get with the velour. No lack of bass from my perspective and no excessive sibilance.

May 5, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #997 of 2,017
Note that the Brainwavz Angled Pads are available in both velour and pleather. I don't know what effects the pleather pads create, but I am pleased with the smooth response that I get with the velour. No lack of bass from my perspective and no excessive sibilance.

I agree with you on the angled velours but my favorite this far is the HM5 hybrids. The only HM5 pads I haven't tried is the angled pleather ones since I've got one pair with Alpha Pads already and want my two pairs to be different.

May 5, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #998 of 2,017
I agree with you on the angled velours but my favorite this far is the HM5 hybrids. The only HM5 pads I haven't tried is the angled pleather ones since I've got one pair with Alpha Pads already and want my two pairs to be different.

Can you delineate the differences in reulting sound quality between the HM5 Hybrids and the Angled Velours? Thanks.

May 5, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #999 of 2,017
Can you delineate the differences in reulting sound quality between the HM5 Hybrids and the Angled Velours? Thanks.

I went from the regular velour (quite bass light and very airy) to the angled ones without making any internal changes and bass was more to my liking with the angled ones. When I put on the hybrids bass was too much for me and I had to close off the bass ports and just have a few small holes poked to find the right amount of bass. The bass (especially deep bass) is still more than I was able to maintain with the angled velours but the quality is excellent and I really like the way they sound now. There's a bit more air and wider soundstage with the angled velours but these are still not the strong points of the T50RP's imo so an acceptable trade off to me.

I hope this answers your question :)

May 5, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #1,000 of 2,017

I got started with AKGs and I love love love that soundstage. The reason I bought the Fostex is because I'd like to get a tad better bass and not lose the quality. The Q702 that I heard didn't seem to match the Fostex for clear bass. But maybe that's me.

The AKGs are pretty damn comfy. That's what I love about them. :)

I'm actually getting bass overload with the MK3s at the moment, brain/ears burn-in is still ongoing :wink: I can't discern a huge difference in soundstage compared to the 702s tbh but imaging is indeed better. Detail retrieval is better as well, my Chord Mojo has so much more to give. It's only my 2nd day of listening so it's early days but things are looking good

May 6, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #1,001 of 2,017
  I purchased the t40rp mk3 and they were just shipped. What would be the ideal portable amp for these? I have been looking at the Fiio E12 and E12A as well as the Cayin C5 and spark C5. If I save up I could potentially afford the Oppo HA-2.

I actually just tried my T50 Mk3's as portables 2 days ago, just to test.

Streaming Deadmau5 via Tidal....

My LG G4 was able to power them to a listenable volume on its' own. It gets the job done, nothing to write home about.

Adding the OPPO HA-2 was an immediate improvement, and the Mk3's LOVED the Bass Boost on Low gain! Switching to High gain, the Bass Boost still works, but loses a touch of its' muscle......I suspect the amp is running out of headroom, but that's just a wild guess. I listened at all volumes on the OPPO, up to max volume on both Gain settings, and I never once felt the music was getting distorted. The amp kept its' composure nicely.

The OPPO doesn't push them anywhere near as loud as my Schiit stack can, but for portable use, if you need more, the people around you are likely to complain :p I actually prefer the OPPO Low gain /Bass Boost combo to my Schiit stack, as far as pleasing FR....I should get around to doing some EQ on my PC eventually.......

My MK3's are completely un-modified, and still with stock pads.

This is based on my personal musical preference only, Also, my hearing is quite bad compared to most people. YMMV.

May 6, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,002 of 2,017
I got my replacement pair yesterday and they do not appear to have any issues with channel imbalance.  One end of the 3.5mm cable causes channel drop in and out when plugged into the headphone but the other side doesn't seem to exhibit the problem. I'm planning on replacing the cable at some point anyway.

When listening to the test tones to judge channel balance, I did notice some slight resonance in the left ear cup for tones between 30hz-40hz, but it's not anything I'd notice or find problematic during normal listening.  I'm still getting accustomed to the sound, but these have a much wider soundstage than I was expecting.  My overall first impressions are positive.  

I actually find the stock pads reasonable comfortable, they distribute the pressure well and I don't mind my ears touching the driver covers slightly.  My only complaint on comfort would be that they feel noticeably heavier than my other headphones.  I do have a pair of the HM5 hybrids on the way mostly to see how they impact the sound, but I don't think changing pads is a necessity for me from a comfort perspective.  

I have noticed a mid-bass hump that seems to get in front of vocals and mid-range instruments at times, so hopefully the hybrid pads don't make that any worse.  I may wind up looking at some velours or taping off the cup vents to see if that brings down the mid-bass a tad.

May 6, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #1,003 of 2,017
T20rp mk3 owner here. I picked em for the bass. And they do NOT disappoint.

My "portable" setup: xduoo x3 line out into fiio e12 on high gain. I am coming from CAL!, to HD 380, to DT990. These are, obviously, incredible in comparison. The DT990s are redundant, in my opinion. Unless you like ear bleeding treble (no mods ever rid the siblance for me).

The bass is extreme. Never owned a pair of basshead cans, but the DT990s feel anemic compared to these. No bass boost is being used, it brings it to absurd levels to me. I would describe the planar sound as closer to what it sounds like listening to good speakers with a good subwoofer. It just does what its supposed to do, the right way. Very impressed, I am scared to think what will be a step up from these because they cost about 70 dollars after rebate.

(Metallica sounds outstanding, old Rolling Stones recordings sound great too). I dislike the pads because my ears press against the drivers (odd, big ears) so I have HM5 velour (non angled) on the way.

May 6, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #1,004 of 2,017
  T20rp mk3 owner here. I picked em for the bass. And they do NOT disappoint.

My "portable" setup: xduoo x3 line out into fiio e12 on high gain. I am coming from CAL!, to HD 380, to DT990. These are, obviously, incredible in comparison. The DT990s are redundant, in my opinion. Unless you like ear bleeding treble (no mods ever rid the siblance for me).

The bass is extreme. Never owned a pair of basshead cans, but the DT990s feel anemic compared to these. No bass boost is being used, it brings it to absurd levels to me. I would describe the planar sound as closer to what it sounds like listening to good speakers with a good subwoofer. It just does what its supposed to do, the right way. Very impressed, I am scared to think what will be a step up from these because they cost about 70 dollars after rebate.

Wish you had the T50RP MK3's to compare, but you're tempting me to buy the T20RP's from an authorized dealer and take advantage of that ridiculously low price after rebate.  Where did you buy your T20RP MK3 cans from?

May 6, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #1,005 of 2,017
  I got my replacement pair yesterday and they do not appear to have any issues with channel imbalance.  One end of the 3.5mm cable causes channel drop in and out when plugged into the headphone but the other side doesn't seem to exhibit the problem. I'm planning on replacing the cable at some point anyway.

When listening to the test tones to judge channel balance, I did notice some slight resonance in the left ear cup for tones between 30hz-40hz, but it's not anything I'd notice or find problematic during normal listening.  I'm still getting accustomed to the sound, but these have a much wider soundstage than I was expecting.  My overall first impressions are positive.  

I actually find the stock pads reasonable comfortable, they distribute the pressure well and I don't mind my ears touching the driver covers slightly.  My only complaint on comfort would be that they feel noticeably heavier than my other headphones.  I do have a pair of the HM5 hybrids on the way mostly to see how they impact the sound, but I don't think changing pads is a necessity for me from a comfort perspective.  

I have noticed a mid-bass hump that seems to get in front of vocals and mid-range instruments at times, so hopefully the hybrid pads don't make that any worse.  I may wind up looking at some velours or taping off the cup vents to see if that brings down the mid-bass a tad.

I am getting that resonance with mine as well. Never noticed it before I actually tested those frequencies specifically at a pretty loud volume though. It seems to be coming from the area where you plug in the headphone cable, weird stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back