Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
May 3, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #976 of 2,017
I saw interesting graphs on diyah, but not much info how to duplicate it.
God I´d love to have a measurement rig, it would have been a lot of fun :D

Hi. I'm Rabbit, or Ian on DIYAH, and the guy that did a lot of work with it was on here as well as on DIYAH. He used a measurement rig.

I ended up doing the following....

Block the cup vents. (Lowers mid bass hump a bit)
Tape up two vents on baffle. Some prefer more, some less.
Change pads to Alcantara pads.

Results are really quite nice and now I use mine a great deal. It has a raised bass, but a very pleasant listen.

May 3, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #977 of 2,017
Hey, yeah I recognize you.
Thanks for summary, on Diyah many times I didn´t know if the guys were talking about mk2 or mk3 version..
Don´t you think that mass loading and cup dampening would help? I´m not sure about effect on sound though :/

May 3, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #978 of 2,017
I tried damping the cups but it went a bit dead, so I might have overdone it. The other guy suggested only damping down in the bottom section of each cup.

TBH, I was too lazy to keep opening ip and testing with the damping, since I like it now as it is.

I'm mot sure whether mass llading the baffle has been tried yet with the mk 3.

That thread starts with the earlier version and we moved on to the mk3 when I bought one and mentioned it on the thread.

May 3, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #979 of 2,017
Hey guys - I'm eager to pick up my first Planar pair; The T50RP MK3 (mouthful) needs some power - would my Electric Avenues PA2V2 be enough to get it going? I'm not a Loud King. It powers my AKG K240s pretty well, and they're relatively inefficient from what I read.

Thanks so much!

May 3, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #980 of 2,017
  Hey guys - I'm eager to pick up my first Planar pair; The T50RP MK3 (mouthful) needs some power - would my Electric Avenues PA2V2 be enough to get it going? I'm not a Loud King. It powers my AKG K240s pretty well, and they're relatively inefficient from what I read.

Thanks so much!

200mW output(impedance?)? Listenable volume levels possible if you are not for loud. Proper drive juice for t50 to show full potential? Not really, not nearly enough.

May 4, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #981 of 2,017
I bought a pair - $100 for a pair the guy used once before deciding he didn't want, all original box and papers.

And the Shure 1540 pads are down to $40 on Amazon! Last I looked they were almost $100.... someone was trying to gouge.

200mW output(impedance?)? Listenable volume levels possible if you are not for loud. Proper drive juice for t50 to show full potential? Not really, not nearly enough.

Thanks - I'm new at this. I have a standard amp; these will just have to be my at-home cans. I'll live. :)

May 4, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #982 of 2,017

Thanks - I'm new at this. I have a standard amp; these will just have to be my at-home cans. I'll live. :)

Should be fine then, as i'm also using headphone output from my standard integrated amplifier for now and it seems it has more than enough power(i can handle no more than 10 o'clock on volume knob). Maybe even Avenues PA2V2 could be enough for your needs, only you will know that. Happy listening.

May 4, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #984 of 2,017
Just got my pair! Time to burn-in my ears now :wink: First planar and yes the bass is tremendous and the clarity is up there and the comfort is just about bearable. Using a Chord Mojo to drive them and it's not even breaking a sweat haha. time to re-visit my collection

May 4, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #985 of 2,017
  Just got my pair! Time to burn-in my ears now :wink: First planar and yes the bass is tremendous and the clarity is up there and the comfort is just about bearable. Using a Chord Mojo to drive them and it's not even breaking a sweat haha. time to re-visit my collection

Enjoy them! :) They were my first planar headphones, too, and they are still one of my favorite HP's... just so clean and detail retrieval is superb.  

What cans have you been using prior to these?  By the way, which ones did you get the, T50RP or....?  Those are the most popular, the ones I have, though I am also curious about the T20RP since they are reputed to have more bass.

May 4, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #986 of 2,017
I purchased the t40rp mk3 and they were just shipped. What would be the ideal portable amp for these? I have been looking at the Fiio E12 and E12A as well as the Cayin C5 and spark C5. If I save up I could potentially afford the Oppo HA-2.

May 4, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #987 of 2,017

Enjoy them! :) They were my first planar headphones, too, and they are still one of my favorite HP's... just so clean and detail retrieval is superb.  

What cans have you been using prior to these?  By the way, which ones did you get the, T50RP or....?  Those are the most popular, the ones I have, though I am also curious about the T20RP since they are reputed to have more bass.

Why thank you! My other cans are AKG 702s, and so so comfortable, I can wear them for hours without even noticing. I got the T50RPs, after reading any review and impressions post I could find. The bass is more than enough for me, and I listen to a lot of bass heavy music, but that could be because I'm used to the AKGs sound. 

May 4, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #988 of 2,017
Why thank you! My other cans are AKG 702s, and so so comfortable, I can wear them for hours without even noticing. I got the T50RPs, after reading any review and impressions post I could find. The bass is more than enough for me, and I listen to a lot of bass heavy music, but that could be because I'm used to the AKG sound. 

The K702's are highly praised, nice. I don't have any AKG cans in my hands yet; have the 7xx coming from a fellow head fi'er though, but I do hear they have more bass than 702.

I don't find the T50RP bass anemic by any means, but I sometimes crave a little more bass so I am more curious than anything about whether the T20RP will satisfy that slight itch. But I love the T50RP and they do have nice bass on their own.

May 4, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #989 of 2,017
The K702's are highly praised, nice. I don't have any AKG cans in my hands yet; have the 7xx coming from a fellow head fi'er though, but I do hear they have more bass than 702.

I don't find the T50RP bass anemic by any means, but I sometimes crave a little more bass so I am more curious than anything about whether the T20RP will satisfy that slight itch. But I love the T50RP and they do have nice bass on their own.

Someone posted graphs comparing the 3 earlier in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763009/fostex-new-rp-headphones-t50rpmk3-t40rpmk3-and-t20rpmk3/810#post_12496196

I have the T20RPs personally, and they have as much bass as I could ever want, but I've never heard the T50RP to make a direct comparison. Apparently the only difference between the 20 and 50 is the thickness of the felt covering the vents, so it would be pretty simple to do a reversible mod on yours if you're curious

May 4, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #990 of 2,017
  Why thank you! My other cans are AKG 702s, and so so comfortable, I can wear them for hours without even noticing. I got the T50RPs, after reading any review and impressions post I could find. The bass is more than enough for me, and I listen to a lot of bass heavy music, but that could be because I'm used to the AKGs sound. 

I got started with AKGs and I love love love that soundstage. The reason I bought the Fostex is because I'd like to get a tad better bass and not lose the quality. The Q702 that I heard didn't seem to match the Fostex for clear bass. But maybe that's me.

The AKGs are pretty damn comfy. That's what I love about them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back