Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Apr 21, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #887 of 2,017

Other than "Comfort" Is there any differences in term of Sound? Between the 1840 and 1540?

Thanks

1540 still retains the original sound of the stock pads and somehow makes the bass tighter/punchier. It also adds a tad bit of sound stage (or it could just be because it became more airier) based from my experience.

The 1840 is almost the same but the sound is a bit more distant. (maybe this is due to the reason that the 1840's doesn't squish as much as the 1540, they're a bit more harder/solid - also can't really tell if the change is in a good way or bad way) because your ears are further away from the driver, you might feel like the sound isn't as clean and detailed - you might even feel the bass and treble becomes loose (not in a huge amount just a tad bit). 

Based from my experience, the further your ears from the driver of the mk3's the sound gets worse. (or maybe it is just me)
I tried the HM5, 1540. 1840 with mk3s and the 1540's is the best for me when it comes to comfort and sound. The 1840 is the same  as the 1540 but just a bit ****tier when it comes to sound.
While the HM5 wasn't bad, (and I love these pads so much) It just felt like I'm listening to a different headphone when I use them with mk3's (in a bad way)

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #888 of 2,017
  1540 still retains the original sound of the stock pads and somehow makes the bass tighter/punchier. It also adds a tad bit of sound stage (or it could just be because it became more airier) based from my experience.

The 1840 is almost the same but the sound is a bit more distant. (maybe this is due to the reason that the 1840's doesn't squish as much as the 1540, they're a bit more harder/solid - also can't really tell if the change is in a good way or bad way) because your ears are further away from the driver, you might feel like the sound isn't as clean and detailed - you might even feel the bass and treble becomes loose (not in a huge amount just a tad bit). 

Based from my experience, the further your ears from the driver of the mk3's the sound gets worse. (or maybe it is just me)
I tried the HM5, 1540. 1840 with mk3s and the 1540's is the best for me when it comes to comfort and sound. The 1840 is the same  as the 1540 but just a bit ****tier when it comes to sound.
While the HM5 wasn't bad, (and I love these pads so much) It just felt like I'm listening to a different headphone when I use them with mk3's (in a bad way)

Thanks ! buddy, I believe the 1540 Pads are a closed back Pads right? Does it heats up after an extended usage? what is the longest time you've worn the Headphone for?

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #889 of 2,017
yup it was made for a closed headphone. But if you scroll back and take a look at the photos I posted, you would see those little hole thingies that allows air to flow/circulate I guess. This might also be the reason why the 1540 somehow increases the sound stage.

The 1840's heat up after a while because they're velour and they get itchy about 30min + if you sweat a little.
The 1540's though is much more breathable. 

Longest I've worn them would probably 5-7 hours (still had to take them off for bathroom breaks though),
Music/gaming/movies. And I didn't have any itches or sweating. It doesn't heat up and is totally fine in a 18-28C room. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #892 of 2,017
  Is the Omni, Blackwood, and Vibro MK2 currently being made utilizing the T50RP MK2 or MK3?

Classic and Vibro are made using MK III

Omni and Blackwood still use MK II, but because of how they are built the SQ/FR will not change as the same membrane is used in the t50 MK II and t50 MK III.  Because of this we can match the frequency response no matter if MK II or MK III is used for Blackwood and Omni.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 23, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #893 of 2,017
Just for fun I decided to try my girlfriend's gaming headset(Logitech G633, she loves RGBs) and my old Steelseries Sibera Elite Prism. When I first put on my Steelseries and hit play I was 100% sure it wasnt plugged in properly or something but nope, plugged in all the way just a distorted ****fest compared to my T50RPs. It was almost comical how bad they sounded now and I cant actually believe I thought they sounded great when I first got them. The G633 sounded like someone had used an EQ to mute the highs, almost all I could hear was some vocals and big, fat, muddy bass. 

When I first got my T50RPs I thought they sounded pretty good, but I was'nt completely blown away. Comparing now I dont even know how I put up with gaming headphones for so long, strange how listening to something "lower end" makes you appreciate quality sound a lot more.

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #894 of 2,017
I find that as well Marcus. It doesn't seem to be a very 'showy' sound at all and in all honesty, quite ordinary. Then a direct comparison to some other headphones makes it seem so much more natural and controlled.

I think many of us headphone users are very inquisitive about other headphones and often don't realise that we have something good already on our heads when something new pops up!!

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #895 of 2,017
I find that as well Marcus. It doesn't seem to be a very 'showy' soumd at all and in all honesty, quite ordinary. Then a direct comparison to some other headphones makes it seem so much more natural and controlled.

I think many of us headphone users are very inquisitive about other headphones and often don't realise that we have something good already on our heads when something new pops up!!

Heh I quit my job as a Manger of a cell phone store, now work at an electronics store. I have access to many mainstream cans. Momentums are very good, but dang, the speed of orthros. Didn't really realize it until now

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #896 of 2,017
I have 3 Momentums. An over ear v1, over ear v2 and on ear v2. They're convenient and sensitive, but you know, I use a Sony a1 more!!!

The Fostex does have a speedy attack indeed. I often use it in preference to the Senn hd650 because of that speed.

Just like the Momentum/Sony price difference and what I tend to use more, the same goes for the HD650/T50. The T50 is on my head more often in preference.

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #897 of 2,017
Recently published a review on these. Definitely a keeper!

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #898 of 2,017
Bought some ZMF lambskin pads for mine and that fixed the bass affecting the vocals (happened with a pair of on-ear Sony XBs I had a long time ago as well) and they sound pehnomenal. I legit like these better than LCD-2s, if they were more refined then they'd be better than LCD-2s. I also was able to put together an EQ profile that compliments these perfectly without really taking away any of its assets. Glad I decided to give these a go, honestly the only planars that I really like...so far anyway. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #900 of 2,017
Not yet, still working on it. T50rp is my favourite I think though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back