Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Apr 13, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #841 of 2,017
  Z Review talks about this in his MKIII review I don't believe he has the ZMF pads but he dose have pads that are just as thick.

Yes, you are correct, Z Review mentioned a few different pads in his review of the T50RP MKIII; HM5 Angled (he did not like), HM5 Hybrid (he liked), and Sure 1540 Pads (he really liked), however, he did not review the ZMF Pads.

That being said, I asked Zach915m to comment on ZMF Pads because, he owns ZMF Headphones, and he sells a T50RP MKIII / ZMF Pad combo on his website. It's not often that you get to hear it straight from the source, so I think that it's pretty cool that Zach is so active and approachable in the head-fi community.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #842 of 2,017
  Yes, you are correct, Z Review mentioned a few different pads in his review of the T50RP MKIII; HM5 Angled (he did not like), HM5 Hybrid (he liked), and Sure 1540 Pads (he really liked), however, he did not review the ZMF Pads.

That being said, I asked Zach915m to comment on ZMF Pads because, he owns ZMF Headphones, and he sells a T50RP MKIII / ZMF Pad combo on his website. It's not often that you get to hear it straight from the source, so I think that it's pretty cool that Zach is so active and approachable in the head-fi community.

I actually sent Z Reviews one set of each type of earpad.  Not sure he ever got around to talking about them or not though.  Yeah, I'm always available if anyone has any questions.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 14, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #843 of 2,017

I actually sent Z Reviews one set of each type of earpad.  Not sure he ever got around to talking about them or not though.  Yeah, I'm always available if anyone has any questions.

Great. So eager to see review or comparison info about 1540, HM5 hybrid and ZMF pads on MK3. :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #844 of 2,017
Got my T50RP today, wasn't really impress by it. PC manage to power at Ok / low volume. I'm eager to see how much of an improvement I'll get with a DAC+AMP coming this Friday. Thanks to everyone that help / answered my questions.

BTW, whats the issue with the Orange  Cable I'm hearing about? Does changing the Cable alter the sound in any way?

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #845 of 2,017
Got my T50RP today, wasn't really impress by it. PC manage to power at Ok / low volume. I'm eager to see how much of an improvement I'll get with a DAC+AMP coming this Friday. Thanks to everyone that help / answered my questions.

BTW, whats the issue with the Orange  Cable I'm hearing about? Does changing the Cable alter the sound in any way?

What dac/amp are you getting if you don't mind asking?

I believe that orange cable is springy so people replace with another cable such as vmoda 45 degree angle Jack cable instead.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #846 of 2,017

I believe that orange cable is springy so people replace with another cable such as vmoda 45 degree angle Jack cable instead.

I'm on a tight budget at the moment so I went with something cheap, The SMSL SD793-II. Z review guy said its good enough.  

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #847 of 2,017
I'm on a tight budget at the moment so I went with something cheap, The SMSL SD793-II. Z review guy said its good enough.  

I think you'll be very pleased with the improvement of using a DAC/amp over your PC's headphone jack, particularly if it could only drive it at low volume.

My laptop's headphone jack can't even drive my T50RP to normal listening levels, much less provide enough juice to make it sound tight.

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #848 of 2,017

Thank you. I was also looking for desktop amp to drive MK3 and will check it out. Hope it works well with MK3. :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #849 of 2,017
I wonder if anyone here has been able to get rid of the 1k spike. Does anyone know what causes it? I know some of the pros like to keep their ways secret, but I would appreciate knowing whether it can be dealt with on ear-side, or if it needs some sort of modification inside the cups.

It seems some Audezes and Oppo phones have a similar spike, so perhaps it could be the orthodynamic diaphgram. Tyll had some theory for the spike that I can't remember right now, but it had something to do with the pads. Without pads the spike seems to tone down, so that could also be the thing. Maybe the best way of dealing with the spike is simply by using pads that don't suck the mids around it? Simple cotton filling or extra felts haven't worked on me. I use HM5 velours that I modified by removing half of the foam out of them. That put the mids back to a proper level. I deal with the 10khz peak with cotton felt on the ear side, but if there are some really effective ways of making the treble smoother it would be appreciated too.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #851 of 2,017
I just received my T50RPmk3. It requires slightly more power than AKG K7xx.
I have an SMSL sApII amp and if I go beyond 12 o'clock it's too loud for me.
Now I can see how much more sound stage K7xx has and how comfortable it is compared to mk3.
Once Shure HPAEC1540 are back in stock I will try to change the pads.

Question:
My SMSL sApII amp is connected to the in-board sound card of my asus z97i-plus motherboard.
I can't hear any sound improvement with the amp(other than higher volumes) compared to the on-board.
Do you guys think that if I get an ODAC I will notice any improvements using my K7xx or mk3? 

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #852 of 2,017
I got my T20RPs yesterday, and I'm seriously impressed with them. After rebate these are less than $100, and that just can't be beat. They're a different sound then my HD600s obviously, but it's not a sound that is worth any less, yet there's a huge gap in price. With that said, the stock pads do need to go right away, very uncomfortable. I'm using HM5 hybrids until the 1540 pads are back in stock, and they don't seem to sacrifice much in sound compared to stock. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back