Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Nov 23, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #452 of 2,017
Which HM5 velours are you waiting for, these ones? I await your results!

Quote:
I've just tried the pleather pads that come with the hifiman he400 and they're a perfect fit. Initial results are good. They put a bit more distance between ear and driver over stock pads which really improves the soundstage. Because the seal is not as tight as the hm5 pads I find the bass also retains its control avoiding the problems I experienced with the hm5 pads. Can't wait for the hm5 velours to arrive. I think they might be the sweet spot.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #453 of 2,017
Music123 has these on sale right now for $141.83. There could be better sales going on as the week progresses to Cyber Monday. If the list members could post better sales as they come across them it would me much appreciated by those of us who haven't gotten a pair yet & are looking for the best price. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-Professional-Studio-Headphones-Semi-Open/dp/B0167XM092/ref=sr_1_1?m=A34VCPZVL7E6XQ&s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1448289943&sr=1-1&keywords=fostex+t50rp+mk+3

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #456 of 2,017
Just learned that my ifi Nano has a "just right" amount of power for my T50s...

I just tried listening with a Schiit Magni 2 Uber (using my ifi Nano as dac) and while it did get louder than my Nano, it did not add anything to the music.

So for those of you who are in a tight budget but want great sound, I highly recommend the T50 mk3 + MrSpeaker Alpha Pads + strap (good for bald heads) + ifi Nano.

The whole setup ran about $425. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #457 of 2,017
I know many here modify the T50RP, but would the MK3 T50RP be good for someone looking for a similar sound signature to the Mad Dogs (maybe a little less bass)? I'm willing to put on different pads, but I'd like to stay away from modifying for the moment. Also, would a Schiit Magni pair well with this?

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #460 of 2,017
  I know many here modify the T50RP, but would the MK3 T50RP be good for someone looking for a similar sound signature to the Mad Dogs (maybe a little less bass)? I'm willing to put on different pads, but I'd like to stay away from modifying for the moment. Also, would a Schiit Magni pair well with this?

I'm not trying to discredit or in any way discount what Dan has done with MrSpeakers headphones - if I had the extra cash, I would have purchased the Mad Dog, but I didn't.  To me, the T50RP Mk3 is in at least the 85% range of the Mad Dog.  To my ears, adding the angled, thicker pads put it in the 90% range.  

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #463 of 2,017
So I didn't know the mk3 existed and I was planning on buying some T50RPs for mods right? I check Guitar Center, they have them in stock. Check Amazon, $99. Walk into GC, ask for a price match, now I have mk3s and paid $99 for them.

Neither I, nor the clerk at the Pro Audio section, nor the store manager (who approved the price match) caught the mistake. Whoops!

That being said, please don't accidentally (or purposely) scam Guitar Center. TBH I kinda feel bad now :frowning2:

Anyways, looks like my week is going to consist of a little less modding. I'm really interested to see how the mods will adapt to fit the mk3s. Hopefully you guys come to a consensus as to what pads to get. My ears are drowning in detail, but also in pain :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back