Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Nov 19, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #421 of 2,017
Ok, having read through all 28 pages, I think I finally settled on buying the MK3s. As much as I'd like to buy the MK2s second hand, they're still not priced enough for me to consider them over the MK3.

I'll probably wait the week out and see what deals (if any) are had up here in Toronto.

Hopefully the Moto X Play is enough to drive the headphones, if not, I suppose that I'll look into the Fiios.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #422 of 2,017
The stock mk3 are less sensitive than the mk2. If you mod them by closing the baffle vents and slightly damping the driver you will gain sensitivity at the possible cost of elevated bass and recessed upper mids with pleather pads. My modded mk2 are probably as sensitive as the stock mk3 and they are barely adequate in volume with it set at max on the Moto G 3rd gen.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #423 of 2,017
  Ok, having read through all 28 pages, I think I finally settled on buying the MK3s. As much as I'd like to buy the MK2s second hand, they're still not priced enough for me to consider them over the MK3.

I'll probably wait the week out and see what deals (if any) are had up here in Toronto.

Hopefully the Moto X Play is enough to drive the headphones, if not, I suppose that I'll look into the Fiios.

My Note 3 couldn't drive the mk3 so I paired it with a Fiio e18. Most phones and daps just don't have enough power.

Only phone I've found that can drive them very well is the LG V10.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #424 of 2,017

My Note 3 couldn't drive the mk3 so I paired it with a Fiio e18. Most phones and daps just don't have enough power.

I am not sure what sort of amplification state my HTC One M8 uses, but it can drive my MKIII's to ear screeching levels (though it doesn't sound very good with the phone out).

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #425 of 2,017
Does anyone know if the Brainwavz pads are the same as the NVX pads? I tried a pair on NVX angled pads on a different pair of headphones in the past and I found them way too squishy which created kind of a plunger effect on my head, which was uncomfortable. Are the Brainwavz pads firmer?

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #427 of 2,017

Before I buy the Mk3s, I'm going to try them out with my phone and see how they sound in the volume ranges.

re: daps, etc. Should I just save up for something like the e17/18; or do I go for one of the cheaper Fiio offerings like the e06/07/10, or a cmoybb?

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #428 of 2,017

Hopefully there may be some Cyber-Monday deals to be found for you, allthough I had read somewhere the Monday before Black Friday is usually the best for prices on electronics. I'll be watching for deals too.

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #429 of 2,017

Before I buy the Mk3s, I'm going to try them out with my phone and see how they sound in the volume ranges.

re: daps, etc. Should I just save up for something like the e17/18; or do I go for one of the cheaper Fiio offerings like the e06/07/10, or a cmoybb?

I also have the original e17 but the e18 sounds much more detailed to me.

Run the e18 at high gain and 50-70% volume with the mk3 so it has just enough power for them. Other than the e12 (which has even more power) I doubt Fiio's cheaper amps can drive the mk3.

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #432 of 2,017

Did you try Saved By Technology? The Mk3 is posted on their website.

Yeah, they've got the Mk2 on demo, but no Mk3s. I've called pretty much everywhere in the GTA.

Long and McQuade, AVShop, Moog, etc.

You guys feel that a demo Mk2, that is $30 less than a new Mk3, is worth it, taking into consideration the price and time spent finding and buying the materials to mod? Not including things like the pads, headband, etc.

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #433 of 2,017
Yeah, they've got the Mk2 on demo, but no Mk3s. I've called pretty much everywhere in the GTA.

You guys feel that a demo Mk2, that is $30 less than a new Mk3, is worth it, taking into consideration the price and time spent finding and buying the materials to mod? Not including things like the pads, headband, etc.

I'd take the MKIII over a MKII purely on the basis of the better driver matching, better stock performance, better headband and earpads, and the front baffle foam around the driver.

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #434 of 2,017

Did you try AVShop today? I had a pair of Mk3's on backorder from them, finally shipped out yesterday, so maybe they have some instore now.

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #435 of 2,017

I thought that they sounded reasonable out of my Note 3 (my primary source due to sd storage) on full volume but they don't really open up until amped. I have a fiio e18 which is more than powerful enough for any headphone and use the schiit vali modi combo at home which is superb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back