Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Nov 14, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #391 of 2,017
Here's a few pics of the inside of the Mad Dogs. I had a heck of a time finding pics of the inside of the MD's... You will notice they don't have any newplast on the baffle, a very small notch cut for rthe vent, acoustic foam and cotton dampening in the cup...etc

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-211-677.html

I'll follow up with my new ZMF pad findings soon...

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #392 of 2,017
Here's a few pics of the inside of the Mad Dogs. I had a heck of a time finding pics of the inside of the MD's... You will notice they don't have any newplast on the baffle, a very small notch cut for rthe vent, acoustic foam and cotton dampening in the cup...etc

Wow, it seems Fostex may have taken their lead from the mad dogs in some elements of their design. I've got a pair of mk2's arriving this week so I'll try a mad dog mod based on the images.

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #393 of 2,017
Wow, it seems Fostex may have taken their lead from the mad dogs in some elements of their design. I've got a pair of mk2's arriving this week so I'll try a mad dog mod based on the images.

It's a good thing that Dan has pushed forward with new designs such as the Prime and Ether...they go well beyond the basic Fostex implementation

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #394 of 2,017
To Dan's credit, he was talking about releasing the Alpha's cup design as open source once they are all sold from his stocks. I hope he follows through, it would be great for the diy community.

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #395 of 2,017
New owner of T50RPmk3 here! First off, I must say that these might be the best value I have EVER heard in my three years in this hobby. Second, at least from memory, I enjoy these much better than the Alpha Dog I've heard. The AD sounded somewhat plasticy with a weird soundstage, but these don't seem to have that quality. Sweet mids, something I felt I was missing with my HE400's. They don't have quite the texture/layering/airiness of the HE400's, but they are closed and the soundstage isn't too bad. Sub bass is certainly their weak point though...but the 400's have sub bass covered incredibly well anyways. I can't help but feel that a couple simple mods will bring these to their full potential. Just a little something to bring the sub bass up, and maybe something (sorbothane?) to help tame the small peak around 10k, but that's IT. Oh, and definitely a pad change. I need to get some space around my ears...I've heard Alpha Pads kind of suck out the midrange on these, so I might try some shallower hybrid pads like Focus Pads or an HM5 pad. Overall, an extremely comfortable headphone with an excellent tonal balance that has both great performance AND great potential. By the way, DO NOT even try these on a phone...even with Viper4Android they couldn't get nearly loud enough and sounded pretty dead. They love power. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #396 of 2,017
I wonder they perform compared to HE-400S.

Also planning to use an iBasso D14 to power them up. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #397 of 2,017
New owner of T50RPmk3 here! First off, I must say that these might be the best value I have EVER heard in my three years in this hobby. Second, at least from memory, I enjoy these much better than the Alpha Dog I've heard. The AD sounded somewhat plasticy with a weird soundstage, but these don't seem to have that quality. Sweet mids, something I felt I was missing with my HE400's. They don't have quite the texture/layering/airiness of the HE400's, but they are closed and the soundstage isn't too bad. Sub bass is certainly their weak point though...but the 400's have sub bass covered incredibly well anyways. I can't help but feel that a couple simple mods will bring these to their full potential. Just a little something to bring the sub bass up, and maybe something (sorbothane?) to help tame the small peak around 10k, but that's IT. Oh, and definitely a pad change. I need to get some space around my ears...I've heard Alpha Pads kind of suck out the midrange on these, so I might try some shallower hybrid pads like Focus Pads or an HM5 pad. Overall, an extremely comfortable headphone with an excellent tonal balance that has both great performance AND great potential. By the way, DO NOT even try these on a phone...even with Viper4Android they couldn't get nearly loud enough and sounded pretty dead. They love power. 

My first try with the pleather hm5 pads was not good. I'm going to order a pair of the velours and see if that helps, with the pleather they became overpoweringly bass heavy that messed up the sound.
After JK47'S recommendations I tried them again last night with the pads over the cups mk2 style and with the cup vents taped off other than a small square as in the mad dog pics and this did reduce the boom but I couldn't help feel that they has still degraded the sound somehow. Didficult to say but the sound seemed less clear and almost a bit jumbled at times like the instruments had lost some of their separation. I also tore my hm5 pads, they really don't like being taken off and replaced too often on the t50rp as they are a real stretch to fit over the cups. I had a lot of work this weekend so I'll give them some more time at the weekend and see if I can find a better solution.

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #398 of 2,017

Now that useful. Disappointing though considering the cost.

And I think they both took inspection from modders on this forum. Check the other fostex threads, you'll see how far they date back :)

Foam, cotton and plast are the 3 basic mods everyone does. Generally some form of DBV mod.

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #399 of 2,017
My first try with the pleather hm5 pads was not good. I'm going to order a pair of the velours and see if that helps, with the pleather they became overpoweringly bass heavy that messed up the sound.
After JK47'S recommendations I tried them again last night with the pads over the cups mk2 style and with the cup vents taped off other than a small square as in the mad dog pics and this did reduce the boom but I couldn't help feel that they has still degraded the sound somehow. Didficult to say but the sound seemed less clear and almost a bit jumbled at times like the instruments had lost some of their separation. I also tore my hm5 pads, they really don't like being taken off and replaced too often on the t50rp as they are a real stretch to fit over the cups. I had a lot of work this weekend so I'll give them some more time at the weekend and see if I can find a better solution.

I am using the HM5 Hybrid Pads and feel any changes are negligible at best.  My ear now sits a bit further from the Driver which may have more to do with it.  If I compress the Pads it alters the sound.  The changes are easily compensated with a slight Volume adjustment and the comfort improvement is exponential.  I also purchased the V Moda Extended Audio Cable.  Not sure if this improved the Sound or not but the included Cables and  Proprietary Locking Mechanism were a pain.
I would highly recommend these over the HD598, M50X, VISO HP50, Solo2, & SHP9500.

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #400 of 2,017
I'm hoping somewhat of a consensus on the best pads shows up soon. I have HM5 angled velours on my HE400's but I really don't feel like taking them off and stretching them again. I don't mind the pads now but I certainly feel a need to get some air between my ears and the driver, if only a little. I think the pads being so shallow doesn't help the sound. The only modding materials I have are stiffened craft felt, rug liner, and about 2.5 x 1.5 square inches of sorbothane left. I don't wanna open them up yet because I've been sick and I'm pretty congested. A measurement rig would be nice but I can't afford to put one together at the moment. Despite this, they still sound awesome stock and are very enjoyable.

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #402 of 2,017

There must be a reason (more than just cost cutting) why Fostex chose to make the mk3 with such shallow pads.

I don't have any issue with the pad comfort nor the sound quality.

I tried the HM5 angled velours and they are on their way back to the seller.  I prefer the sound of closer pads at least with this headphone.  Stock pads do sound decent but hurt after a while for me.

IBJamon

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #403 of 2,017

I forgot to mention I hot glued the cups where the wires enter (on the inside), as well as the stock 3.5mm jack (completely closed off), and around the min-XLR jack I installed. I sealed the ear vent completely with gorilla tape (no notch like mr speakers). I'm confident they are sealed very well, but will add some newplast around the perimter of the cup for the final sealing touch.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #404 of 2,017
  I tried the HM5 angled velours and they are on their way back to the seller.  I prefer the sound of closer pads at least with this headphone.  Stock pads do sound decent but hurt after a while for me.

IBJamon

Thanks for this info. I can't help but think that focus pads may be the best option. Maybe even Hifiman regular velours, as they are thinner than HM5 pads. But you had a good point as to why Fostex made them so shallow, so I may not change the pads after all. I've also got a bunch of cotton balls if anyone can chime in on what mods they have done to the Mk3 that have noticeably improved the sound. Looking for subbass extension and a somewhat tamed treble peak-I'm trying to get them to sound close to an HD650 FR wise. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #405 of 2,017
I'm keenly following your pad exploits with the mk3! I see mks100 is using the hybrid HM5 pads. I couldn't find that particular type on Amazon UK. Amazon is the only source I can find of HM5 pads in he UK.

I find the stock pads a bit troublesome and uncomfortable. On my ears they're very difficult to get just right. Very finicky things. 

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back