Fostex HP-P1 vs Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo?
Sep 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #61 of 108
Wouldn't plugging iBuds into any amp blow them almost instantly?

Quote:
Sorry folks, just got my SR71B and I am A/B-ing with the SR71A via the HP-P1. I am still testing it exclusively with the LCD2 to find out the best possible rig for the Rev 1. I will give a listen to my custom IEMs as well as the T5p when I have time - but suffice to say that for the LCD2, I like the Fostex (DAC section only) a bit more. I will probably just  test the CLAS and Fostex with the SR71A and SR71B (I will have to order an IEM cable for the SR71B), because my Stepdance has not been modded and is too loud for the ES5. I prefer to have these combinations fully tested rather than coming to haste conclusions, so thanks for your patience.

I did have a brief test of the Fostex HP-P1 -> SR71B with the iBuds though - it is used to burn in the SR71B 24X7 in fear of damaging any of the more expensive IEMs / headphones.
beyersmile.png

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #62 of 108

The short answer is no. I have been burning in the SR71B with the iBuds the whole working say. Before I left office I gave it a listen and it was still working fine. And I left the setup charged and running before I left - will let you know if there is any problem with the iBuds when I get into office tomorrow.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #63 of 108

Quote:

I can't really tell if you're serious, but if you are, the answer is no. It's not like headphone amplifiers put out a ludicrous amount of power at normal listening levels. Now, if you crank a pretty powerful amp all the way to the max, then you might be able to do a little damage, to say the least. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #64 of 108
Sep 21, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #65 of 108
It's called "H1 Touch" manufactured by Luxa2, a Taiwan company. It boasts an aluminium stand with adjustable clamps which can change the orientation of your iPhone / iPod.  

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #66 of 108

Quote:
It's called "H1 Touch" manufactured by Luxa2, a Taiwan company. It boasts an aluminium stand with adjustable clamps which can change the orientation of your iPhone / iPod.  

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #67 of 108
This one is nice too and a few dollars cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Aluminum-Blackberry-Similar-Devices/dp/B003KGBD0W/ref=pd_luc_sim_01_02_t_lh 

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #69 of 108
For me, It's a question of primary purpose... the HP-P1 is an eminently more portable a solution than the CLAS + another box. If your primary goal is for travel/commuting/portability - this is a no brainer.

If, however, portability is just a nice bonus, and you're after a more customized sound - the ability to pair the CLAS with any number of different amps is very nice, and saves you a bit of money over getting the Fostex + additional amps. So the CLAS + something makes a lot of sense if you don't mind the form factor when running around town/airports/commuter rail (I do).

I don't think my ears, or my cans, are at a high enough level to notice/render any objective difference between the DACs - so that is essentially an irrelevant factor for me. And frankly, if I'm after that level of detail and performance, I'd be looking at full size/desktop equipment anyway.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #70 of 108

Quote:
For me, It's a question of primary purpose... the HP-P1 is an eminently more portable a solution than the CLAS + another box. If your primary goal is for travel/commuting/portability - this is a no brainer.

If, however, portability is just a nice bonus, and you're after a more customized sound - the ability to pair the CLAS with any number of different amps is very nice, and saves you a bit of money over getting the Fostex + additional amps. So the CLAS + something makes a lot of sense if you don't mind the form factor when running around town/airports/commuter rail (I do).

I don't think my ears, or my cans, are at a high enough level to notice/render any objective difference between the DACs - so that is essentially an irrelevant factor for me. And frankly, if I'm after that level of detail and performance, I'd be looking at full size/desktop equipment anyway.

Yes thanks and for me I have been inching towards the CLAS for the customized sound but yet I do not have the amp so it would be more expensive than the HP-P1 but yet I have heard the HP-P1 has a sort of grainy sound...how do you feel about its sound ? Thanks

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #72 of 108
Not yet... I have been focusing on the gear of the portable chain. Once settled I will perform tests on different portable DACs / amps combos for my LCD2, T5P, ED10 and custom IEMs.

Just got back from vacation and bought the iBasso DB2. My interconnects for the SR71B and the balanced cable for LCD2 should have arrived at my office.

I believe the Esoteric K-01 -> BHSE -> SR009 combo is close to being the ultimate desktop headphone system. I have yet to order BHSE though, need them to resolve the time issue first - so far, just using the SRM727ii, the SR009 still beats the LCD2 hands down by miles.

I also suspect my true balanced portable combo is close to the best portable headphone system, with the chain being:

iPhone4 / iPad2 -> ALO iPhone USB interconnect -> CLAS -> Black Dragon short coaxial cable -> iBasso DB2 -> Black Dragon iBasso to SR71B balanced interconnect -> SR71B -> ALO AWG22 LCD2 Balanced Cable for SR71B -> LCD2

Will test this out tomorrow - stay tuned.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #73 of 108
Not yet... I have been focusing on the gear of the portable chain. Once settled I will perform tests on different portable DACs / amps combos for my LCD2, T5P, ED10 and custom IEMs.

Just got back from vacation and bought the iBasso DB2. My interconnects for the SR71B and the balanced cable for LCD2 should have arrived at my office.

I believe the Esoteric K-01 -> BHSE -> SR009 combo is close to being the ultimate desktop headphone system. I have yet to order BHSE though, need them to resolve the time issue first - so far, just using the SRM727ii, the SR009 still beats the LCD2 hands down by miles.

I also suspect my true balanced portable combo is close to the best portable headphone system, with the chain being:

iPhone4 / iPad2 -> ALO iPhone USB interconnect -> CLAS -> Black Dragon short coaxial cable -> iBasso DB2 -> Black Dragon iBasso to SR71B balanced interconnect -> SR71B -> ALO AWG22 LCD2 Balanced Cable for SR71B -> LCD2

Will test this out tomorrow - stay tuned.

Looking forward to your impressions, as this is a similar setup (at least with the bricks) that I want to achieve. Question, did you send in a custom request for the Black Dragon ICs, or did you just order them straight off Moon Audio's website? Also, what is the length of those coaxial and iBasso-Protector cables? TIA.

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #74 of 108
OK - after two weeks of testing I think the following two "brick" combos are my favorite ones for the LCD2:

1. iPhone4 -> CLAS -> SR71B (fully balanced cables except from input - DB2 cables to arrive next week)

2. iPhone4 -> Fostex (Filter 1) -> Stepdance (15V regulated)

Of course there are some other very good portable amps out there but I think the Stepance and SR71B are pretty much the best ones being on the top of Skylab's list. Those interested can certainly try out the ALO RX2 or Continental. I hope the following will serve as a guidance of choosing between the CLAS and HP-P1 no matter what amp you are currently using.

Generally speaking, the CLAS sounds cleaner and the Fostex sounds warmer, no matter which filter you use. Therefore, pair the CLAS with a dark or warm sounding amp, like the SR71A or SR71B. I tried pairing the CLAS with the Stepdance and the sound was just too clean and clinical for me. On the other hand, pairing the CLAS with either the SR71A and SR71B is a dream. With the SR71B you can add a DB2 in between to achieve a fully portable balanced system, but of course that means one more brick. One more advantage of the CLAS - you can use a co-axial cable to connect it to the DB2 - there are more high end coaxial cables on the market than SPDIF cables - if you believe in the effect of digital cables at all.

If you have a clean sounding portable amp like the Stepdance, the Fostex HP-P1 is a very good choice. The second combo above (HP-P1 - > Stepdance) produces a synergy which matches the CLAS->SR71A/B combo, IMO.

At Filter 1 of the HP-P1, even with the very clean Stepdance amp, I detect a hint of graininess in the mid range which wasn't apparent when I used the CLAS. Using Filter 2, the graininess goes away, but there comes a very slightly recession in the mid trebles instead. I think it is just a sound signature and I don't think either of these is a problem which hinders enjoyment of music. 

When I paired up the Fostex HP-P1 with either of the flagship RSA portables (71A or 71B), I feel that the "darkness" increased - so did the mid range graininess. I think the HP-P1 is not exactly a good match with darker amps like the 71A or 71B.  

By the way, the internal amp of the Fostex is not capable of driving the LCD2 as good as any of the Stepdance and SR71A/B. 

Just my 2 cents above - if I have to choose one combo only, I will probably pick the first one, but I believe either of them is the best "brick rigs" for the LCD2 .

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #75 of 108
I have yet to test the SR71B with fully balanced input - the impressions above come from a rig without the DB2 yet - the cables from Moon Audio are yet to arrive.

Quote:
Looking forward to your impressions, as this is a similar setup (at least with the bricks) that I want to achieve. Question, did you send in a custom request for the Black Dragon ICs, or did you just order them straight off Moon Audio's website? Also, what is the length of those coaxial and iBasso-Protector cables? TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back