Fostex HP-P1 vs Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo?
Sep 1, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #16 of 108
Thanks dude. Coz it will really be a no brainer if its DAC beats CLAS and its amp beats or is as good as the Stepdance or SR71A.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #18 of 108
I thought there is a line out from the Fostex where you can connect it to an external amp, no?

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #19 of 108
in this case, won't the CLAS be better, if one intends to change amps? (cheaper too)

sorry for the noob questions. kind of confused.

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 108

Quote:
I thought there is a line out from the Fostex where you can connect it to an external amp, no?

Yep, line out (but not co-ax) and optical too.

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #21 of 108

Quote:
in this case, won't the CLAS be better, if one intends to change amps? (cheaper too)

sorry for the noob questions. kind of confused.

I guess "better" depends on your priorities.  There is nothing about the Fostex amp section that makes me want to bypass it, but you can certainly do so via line-out.  Pairing the CLAS a high quality amp will probably not save much, if anything.  I have not heard the CLAS but the DAC section of the Fostex might trump it based on reviews.  In any event, I do not think you can make a wrong decision with either of these. 

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #22 of 108

Quote:
I guess "better" depends on your priorities.  There is nothing about the Fostex amp section that makes me want to bypass it, but you can certainly do so via line-out.  Pairing the CLAS a high quality amp will probably not save much, if anything.  I have not heard the CLAS but the DAC section of the Fostex might trump it based on reviews.  In any event, I do not think you can make a wrong decision with either of these. 

true dat. i've decided on the Fostex HP-P1 for myself.
is it exclusively made for iDevices, or can it be connected to other sources? (computer etc)

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #23 of 108

Quote:
true dat. i've decided on the Fostex HP-P1 for myself.
is it exclusively made for iDevices, or can it be connected to other sources? (computer etc)

Yes, strictly iDevices if you want to use the DAC.  Fostex also makes the HP A3 DAC/AMP which has input & power from USB, using a very closely related AKM DAC chipset.  Japan-only at this moment, I think.

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #25 of 108

Quote:
i see. thanks for the input. so there's no way to connect to a PC of any sorts huh.

Nope -- set up for iPod and iPhone.  Evidently works with iPad too, although maybe not Apple certified for it.  

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #26 of 108

Quote:
Nope -- set up for iPod and iPhone.  Evidently works with iPad too, although maybe not Apple certified for it.  

thanks for the info once again.
honestly i don't really care for the Apple certification, though it may extend credibility and attractiveness to others. apparently Apple's requirement requires that the iPhone and iPad must both be able to be charged from the CLAS, if not its not allowed to charge it at all.

next question - will we be able to play videos/apps with this? apparently you can't watch videos on the CLAS.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #27 of 108
I was able to hear the Fostex shortly yesterday, I thought it sounded really similar to the CLAS. Very clean sounding with bigger soundstage. Using it as a DAC amp was very nice and paired really well with my Westone 2. For someone like me who already has several amps, I believe the CLAS was a good choice. However, the Fostex as an all in one package DAC-amp, is also very good. But if you're going to use another amp for it, then it doesn't seem like worth it anymore, plus the overall set-up would be pretty big. My thoughts.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #28 of 108

Quote:
I was able to hear the Fostex shortly yesterday, I thought it sounded really similar to the CLAS. Very clean sounding with bigger soundstage. Using it as a DAC amp was very nice and paired really well with my Westone 2. For someone like me who already has several amps, I believe the CLAS was a good choice. However, the Fostex as an all in one package DAC-amp, is also very good. But if you're going to use another amp for it, then it doesn't seem like worth it anymore, plus the overall set-up would be pretty big. My thoughts.

Salamat po for the valuable impressions.  Now throw some crispy pata, lechon manok and Red Horse this way. And a few gwapitas, while you are at it. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #29 of 108

Quote:

were you able to watch videos on the Fostex?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back