Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Nov 11, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #166 of 1,448
Hi, 

I recently got an HPP1, and I think its just fantastic. However, I've also gotten an unexpected added feature which is a little strange. I know that the HPP1 is not capable of charging the I-device, but I think that's what it's doing. When I first got the unit the iPod drained just as everyone mentioned. However, in the last few days, though the battery indicator on the iPod does not show that it is charging, it keeps showing full. At first I thought it might be an error due to the HPP1 hijacking the iPod's digital signal. The thing is, I've been running it straight for the last full day and have not needed to recharge the iPod, only the HPP1. I think the HPP1 though might be running down faster. I have an iPod Touch 4th Gen and an upgraded USB interconnect made by Matt. 

Has anyone else had the same experience?

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #167 of 1,448

Quote:
Hi, 

I recently got an HPP1, and I think its just fantastic. However, I've also gotten an unexpected added feature which is a little strange. I know that the HPP1 is not capable of charging the I-device, but I think that's what it's doing. When I first got the unit the iPod drained just as everyone mentioned. However, in the last few days, though the battery indicator on the iPod does not show that it is charging, it keeps showing full. At first I thought it might be an error due to the HPP1 hijacking the iPod's digital signal. The thing is, I've been running it straight for the last full day and have not needed to recharge the iPod, only the HPP1. I think the HPP1 though might be running down faster. I have an iPod Touch 4th Gen and an upgraded USB interconnect made by Matt. 

Has anyone else had the same experience?

That's interesting because I just got my HP-P1's firmware updated by Fostex at a tradeshow last month, and they claimed that the new firmware would double the battery life of the iPod.  Since having this done, I've only used the setup for about 10 hours.  Pre-update, my iPod would've been close to dead by now.  But frankly it doesn't look like the battery indicator has moved.  I do not see the charge indicator (lightning bolt) either.  Your comment does make me wonder if instead of making the iPod more power-efficient in it's USB transfer, perhaps the HP-P1 is simply charging or topping off the iPod- or both?  If that were the case, to me that's even better than just being more efficient.  With the iPod (Touch) now able to sync wirelessly, that would mean that you never need to dock or plugin your iPod again.  I know that my Touch will go for about 35+ hours by itself until it needs a charge; so I'll try using it for that long and seeing if the battery meter goes down.  

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #168 of 1,448
Mike, I think you're onto something there. So after reading these two posts, I decided to do a little test for the past couple of hours.

1) HP-P1 Off+iPhone unused = passive drain (i.e. whatever rate the iPhone drains at, in my case was approx %1/30 mins or thereabouts)
2) Charging HP-P1 Off+iPhone unused= passive drain (i.e. whatever rate the iPhone drains at, in my case was approx %1/30 mins or thereabouts)
3) HP-P1 On+iPhone unused = battery stays at the same level, not dropping even from passive drain
4) HP-P1 On+iPhone used = active drain but at a slower rate than even #1 & #2
5) Charging HP-P1 On+iPhone unused = battery stays at the same level, not dropping even from passive drain
6) Charging HP-P1 On+iPhone used = active drain but at a slower rate than even #1 & #2

So I don't think the HP-P1 is actively charging my iPhone but it does seem to be "topping" it off just to keep it level when the iPhone is idle, or reduces rate of drain when the iPhone is actively being used.

My HP-P1 has also had a firmware upgrade.

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #169 of 1,448
This would be a significant draw for me towards the Fostex if true, as I could listen to it while commuting and also at work (my job involves doing longer hours per day but less days per week). With the CLAS, I'd have to put it down and let it charge up before using it again. Does anyone know if models bought after a certain date have updated firmware? It seems a bit silly to be unable to update firmware over the internet or whatever.

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #170 of 1,448
Fancy meeting U here :wink:.

I wish I checked the version before the upgrade. Can other owners who haven't upgraded post their firmware? Mine's now :-

Firmware version: 1.1.1
Hardware version: 1.1.1

Can't tell if that stayed the same or if it changed ('cos my Venturecraft Go-DAP 4.0, despite being upgraded still stated the same firmware version - i.e. can't assume that firmware upgrades will be reflected via the iPhone About settings).

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #171 of 1,448
Heh. The charging aspect is verrrrry significant, and also now I've read more comparisons on here, the more natural sound of the Fostex appeals to me, as does the cost (can order from Europe so no import fees etc so that makes it even better). Guess I should email Fostex, although I assume from edwardsean's post at the top, he ordered an HP-P1 and received one with newer firmware.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #172 of 1,448

Quote:
Fancy meeting U here :wink:.

I wish I checked the version before the upgrade. Can other owners who haven't upgraded post their firmware? Mine's now :-

Firmware version: 1.1.1
Hardware version: 1.1.1

Can't tell if that stayed the same or if it changed ('cos my Venturecraft Go-DAP 4.0, despite being upgraded still stated the same firmware version - i.e. can't assume that firmware upgrades will be reflected via the iPhone About settings).

Mine has

Firmware version: 1.1.0
Hardware version: 1.1.2

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #173 of 1,448
Hi everybody, 

All right at this point. It's been weeks and I still haven't plugged in my ipod into anything other the Hpp1. So I don't care what the literature says, it's charging the iPod. When everything's on battery, the iPod battery goes down, significantly if I use wifi. But, when I plug in the Fostex, the ipod charges back up too. I haven't updated the firmware. I contacted Fostex and the say it hasn't been released yet publicly and when it is it will take an authorized site to flash the unit. Right now I'm at:

firmware 1.1.0
hardware 1.1.2

Hope that helps. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #174 of 1,448

When and where did you get your HP-P1? It could well be that models shipped after a certain date have the latest firmware...

Quote:
Hi everybody, 

All right at this point. It's been weeks and I still haven't plugged in my ipod into anything other the Hpp1. So I don't care what the literature says, it's charging the iPod. When everything's on battery, the iPod battery goes down, significantly if I use wifi. But, when I plug in the Fostex, the ipod charges back up too. I haven't updated the firmware. I contacted Fostex and the say it hasn't been released yet publicly and when it is it will take an authorized site to flash the unit. Right now I'm at:

firmware 1.1.0
hardware 1.1.2

Hope that helps. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #175 of 1,448
I got mine from Sweetwater. Deal with Jon Gillespie <jon_gillespie@sweetwater.com> He's the best serviceman I've ever come across. However, I know I don't have the latest firmware because mine is 1.1.0 and those with updates are at 1.1.1. Just to clarify the Ipod batter can wear down if it is used aggressively, for me when I task the wifi heavily the ipod will drain faster than the HPP1 can keep it topped off. But, if I only use it for music and wifi is off, the battery meter doesn't move off full. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #176 of 1,448
As I'm in the UK I'll order from one of the EU sellers. Unlike the CLAS I can get this without incurring import charges and international shipping rates etc, which is another plus. I've emailed Fostex any how.

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #177 of 1,448
Has anyone used the HP-P1 with a 12 ohms IEM such as the UM Merlin? If so, how was the sound? Any issues with using earphones with less than the recommended load impedance of 16+ ohms? Like many others, I'm having a hard time deciding between what setup to get for my iPhone 4.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #178 of 1,448
my hp-p1 came couple weeks ago, and now I'm using either hm-801 or hp-p1 with iPhone as my portable devices.
well, personally, to my ears, can't tell too much about the difference or which i prefer more.
but happy to have this one =)))

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #179 of 1,448

Quote:
my hp-p1 came couple weeks ago, and now I'm using either hm-801 or hp-p1 with iPhone as my portable devices.
well, personally, to my ears, can't tell too much about the difference or which i prefer more.
but happy to have this one =)))

I have the hp-p1 and i also have hm-602 (same sound as hm-801 really...not too much difference there). I find the fostex to be superior in detail. But I prefer the sound of hm-602 - it suits most recordings in my collection best. older jazz sounds much more full and better all over on the hifiman. On the other hand many better recordings also sound better on the fostex. This is only sometimes. Not allways.

Hifiman quality is the great warmth and musicality of the tda1543 non over sampling dac chip. Hp-p1 sound is more thin in comparison. Though I would never state, that the fostex sound thin in comparison to other dac's. I prefer it by a large margin to many other dacs I've tried. But I think I've just found out, that I'm a NOS fan. The hifiman plays everything in my collection allright and a it plays lot of things awesome.

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #180 of 1,448
Got my HP-P1 and it charges my iPod Nano (shows charging when plugged to HP-P1).Finally a great on the go rig!
I like the sound of Earsonics SM3 through this, very detailed. Couldnt listen to it through the HM602

Users who are viewing this thread

Back