Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Oct 13, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #152 of 1,448
@Mkubota1, I think U're onto something there about matching amps to earphones. I wasn't that impressed with the P1 & TF10's. The FX700 bridged the gap between the P1 vs P1+Predator. BTW, good to know about the iOS5 upgrade too. Thx for being the first to test & report on it.

Since we're showing custom IEM's with our HP-P1, here's mine :)
SnoopyP11.jpg

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #155 of 1,448
Just wanted to post up some pics I finally managed to take of my rigs:

My portable rig for noisy public transportation commutes:

My portable rig when it's quieter:

Some pictures to get an idea of relative size/scale versus the iBasso D6 and RSA P-51 Mustang:

-Ed

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #156 of 1,448

Quote:
Just wanted to post up some pics I finally managed to take of my rigs:

I like the sound of the W4s out of the Fostex.  I just picked up some FX700s... will see how they sound out of it.

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #157 of 1,448
Looking at getting this for portable use, as well as bedside use.
I intend to get a very high quality dac and amp for my bedside rig, but I'd still like to use my iPod, which is what makes the transport function perfect.

My question is whether or not you can use an external DAC instead of the one included in the Fostex. For portable use, I'll use the Fostex's amp and DAC and I'm sure it will sound great, but I'd like to use stand-alone components for my bedside rig.
To summarize, I'd like to know if this can be used simply as a transport, bypassing even its own included amp and DAC for use with stand-alone components.

Sorry if this question has already been asked!

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #158 of 1,448
Ckaz, yes, the Fostex has a Toslink (optical) out allowing you to bypass its DAC and amp. So if you have an external DAC with Toslink in, you can use the Fostex just to extract the digital signal from the iPod.

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #161 of 1,448
Hi HP-P1 owners,

Just FYI, I was at the Headphone Festival in Tokyo today with a few other Head-Fi'ers. At the Fostex booth, they offered to upgrade the firmware of my HP-P1 which apparently reduces the battery drain of the iPhone when used with the HP-P1. So if you find your iDevice battery draining quickly when used with the HP-P1, Fostex can fix that.

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #162 of 1,448

Quote:
Hi HP-P1 owners,

Just FYI, I was at the Headphone Festival in Tokyo today with a few other Head-Fi'ers. At the Fostex booth, they offered to upgrade the firmware of my HP-P1 which apparently reduces the battery drain of the iPhone when used with the HP-P1. So if you find your iDevice battery draining quickly when used with the HP-P1, Fostex can fix that.

Thanks for the tip, I'd like that! Hope it also works for iPod Classic

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #164 of 1,448
I guess so, I actually didn't ask them if one could do it by themselves. The guy just asked me for my HP-P1 and just did it, I didn't even ask or knew abut the firmware update. I don't even know the former and what the new version numbers are. Apologies, I should have asked him more questions.

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #165 of 1,448
I had my HP-P1 updated at the show as well.  The guy said it doubled the battery life on the 6G Nano from 3hrs to approximately 6hrs.  And he said it should do similar with the iPod Touch 4G, which I had connected at the time.  Essentially it should double the battery life.  I'm not 100% sure about the Classic, but I could only imagine it would be the same.  I think he said that while not available now, it should be downloadable in the future.  It appears that all they used was a laptop and the standard USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back