Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Aug 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #76 of 1,448
Initial impressions on my end with the HP-P1 are very positive, but I have not yet had an opportunity to really sit down and A/B versus my iBasso D6 or my RSA P-51 Mustang (as far as amps go).  Judging by the improvements in sound that I do detect, the DAC is slightly better than the one in my iPhone 3GS (which, as an additional point of reference, I personally detected to already be noticeably better than the DACs in the iPod Classic and the iPod Nano).  I will try to get some more critical listening and A/B comparison in when I can find the time and then I will report back.  Suffice it to say that I am satisfied enough with the sound to definitely keep the HP-P1, but I still need the opportunity to quantify how much better I find the combination of iPhone 3GS + HP-P1 versus 3GS + D6 and 3GS + P-51.

-Ed

Great to see another satisfied customer :D. I look forward to your impressions between the HP-P1's amp section and the P-51.

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #77 of 1,448
Hey HP-P1 owners, we need some more impressions on this DAC/amp combo!  I want to pull the trigger on one, but I need more info!!!

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #78 of 1,448
I saw and held the HP-P1 today at Moog Audio in Toronto. It is smaller than you think - quite a pretty little unit! I didn't attempt to audition it as I didn't have my gear with me (Classic, ES5 etc.). Moog Audio also doesn't seem to be the kind of store that is set up for 45 minute listening sessions by someone who has no intention of buying.
smile.gif
 Hong Kong reatailers are special that way.  Hopefully I will be able to audition the HP-P1 there down the road.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #79 of 1,448
I have tried the Fostex HP-P1 using different headphone cans and more difficult headphone cans trying to
compae the driving power againt the Iqube v2 and SR71B.  The Fostex HP-P1 can drive all of my difficult
headphones (except of course the staxes) that include Grado RS1 vintage, JVC DX1000, Denon LA7000,
LCD2 rev2, Smeggy thunderpants (Fostex 50P mod), Sennheiser HD800.  And to my surprise I have  tried the Fostex
with the HE5, HE6 and even AKG K1000 and found that the Fostex did not have problem driving those headphone.
I only used the medium gain and filter one.   So I think the Fostex HP-P1 is a powerful one.   I don't have time to compare
with the sound quality with the other portable devices because I only have 2 superimod, 2 classic ipod with many of
Ray Samuels amplifier and Iqube V2 amplifier but no player like the HM 801 and colorfly.

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #80 of 1,448

Quote:
i just don't believe that. But we all have our own opinions.

capacitors those are only in amps right?

because people even say that copper/silver cable needs to be burned in too

no, there are capacitors in everything pretty much, one could at a stretch even call a battery a capacitor. they are used for filtering, energy storage, noise decoupling, DC protection, timing circuits etc etc etc

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #81 of 1,448

Quote:
I have  tried the Fostex with the HE5, HE6 and even AKG K1000 and found that the Fostex did not have problem driving those headphone.

Very encouraging!  It sounds like power is not a problem for the HP-P1 internal amp.  Do you have any thoughts on the sound signature of the amp section compared to your RSA amps or the iQube?

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #82 of 1,448
Aug 30, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #84 of 1,448

Quote:
Jude has Head-Fi TV, Episode 011 up on the Head-Fi facebook page with a review of the HP-P1. 

Thanks for that!  Very interesting review.

Compared to the CLAS:  I thought his observations about the two DACs (and the Hifi-Man) were interesting and parallels my own experiences with other DACs.  It sort of confirms my suspicions so far- that good or even decent DACs if given the same target of accuracy will sound very close if not the same.  In theory, they should.

Channel imbalance:  I mentioned this before.  It's there, but so trivial or academic.  Nobody will be listening at levels so low- nowhere near.  It's like saying there are detectable traces of arsenic in our tap water.

Volume knob:  I actually like the size of it, but I use mine as a desktop/ bedside unit.  I can see where one might want a shorter (and stiffer) knob for true portable use.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #87 of 1,448

Quote:
Jude has Head-Fi TV, Episode 011 up on the Head-Fi facebook page with a review of the HP-P1. 

A very helpful review which answered a lot of questions, except a very important one; how does the amp section of the HP-P1 compare to the RXll? I mean it's great to know the DACs are more similar than different, which more or less removes the D/A conversion out of the equation if trying to decide between the two options illustrated, however that still leaves the amp comparison...which sounds better when fed with the same/common DAC?

I know many of you will say that's besides the point because you can use any portable amp you wish to partner with the CLAS, however I for one would like to know the "net" difference between the options displayed; CLAS/RXll combo or the one box solution of the HP-P1?

I just wish Jude would've gone the extra (and obvious) step of comparing both amps for SQ. I mean, if both amps sound more similar than different, then to me that would seal the deal in favor of the HP-P1!

Looooove the HP-P1 volume knob :)

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #88 of 1,448
Since the W5000's are rated at 40Ohms of impedance, so supposedly easy to drive AFAIUI, do you reckon the Fostex will drive them well?

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #89 of 1,448

Quote:
A very helpful review which answered a lot of questions, except a very important one; how does the amp section of the HP-P1 compare to the RXll? I mean it's great to know the DACs are more similar than different, which more or less removes the D/A conversion out of the equation if trying to decide between the two options illustrated, however that still leaves the amp comparison...which sounds better when fed with the same/common DAC?

I know many of you will say that's besides the point because you can use any portable amp you wish to partner with the CLAS, however I for one would like to know the "net" difference between the options displayed; CLAS/RXll combo or the one box solution of the HP-P1?

I just wish Jude would've gone the extra (and obvious) step of comparing both amps for SQ. I mean, if both amps sound more similar than different, then to me that would seal the deal in favor of the HP-P1!

Looooove the HP-P1 volume knob :)

I agree--I would still like to know more about the sound signature of the HP-P1 amp, but I think it is telling that Jude said that his HP-P1/iPod combo is his "go-to" portable rig at the moment.  That must mean that he doesn't feel like he is losing enough in the amp department to revert back to the "big brick" of the CLAS+amp configuration.  That was enough of a "between the lines" message to prompt me to order the HP-P1 from Moon Audio.  I hope to have it by tomorrow and will post my initial impressions after a little audition time. 

While I don't have the CLAS or the RXII, I do have the original ALO RX and I will compare the HP-P1 only vs. HP-P1+RX vs. RX only to get a feel for the relative strenths of the Fostex DAC and amp sections.  The only preliminary comments I have heard thus far about the sound signature of the HP-P1 amp is that it is "neutral."  I will be pairing mine primarily with the Edition 8, for which "neutral" generally pairs quite well.  We shall see.

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #90 of 1,448
I am trying to compare the sound quality of  ipod + DAC (from Fostex HP-P)   snd then from the  line out through mini to mini to the headphone inputs
of the SR71B, Iqube V2 , Voyager and the protector.  I did that way so that I would have use the same DAC for all the amplifier mentioned.
However I could not get any sound out through the analog out of the Fostex HP-P1.  Anyone know how can I do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back