Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Aug 17, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #61 of 1,448

Quote:
My HP-P1 finally shipped out today; can't wait for it to come in!!!

Sweet!  Can't wait to hear your impressions!

Quote:
Can we charge the Fostex HP-P1 via the USB A to mini USB  like when we charge  Iqube V2?
or we can only charge with the adapter supplied.   Then I  may have a problem if I
order that from USA because we use 220V not 110V.   BTW what is the output of the adapter
from 110V to 6V or 9V or 12V?
thanks,

The Fostex does not come with any power adapter- just a standard USB-A to mini-B cable.  You can use any USB power source such as your computer or the adapters that (used to) come with iPods or iPads.  It is the same plug and power requirement as the iQube.  In fact, since I currently use both, I use the same cable to charge both units.  (Actually, I have a couple of them so I can charge both at the same time.)

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #63 of 1,448

I got my HP-P1 yesterday. Any idea on how long the break-in period should take? Any discernible changes in sonic character after 50 hours or so?

Thanks.

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #64 of 1,448
daj burn in is not real. what people perceive as burn in is just thier ears adjusting to the new sound signature of their new equipment. The sound doesnt change just the perception of that sound changes.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #66 of 1,448
i just don't believe that. But we all have our own opinions.

capacitors those are only in amps right?

because people even say that copper/silver cable needs to be burned in too

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #67 of 1,448
Dont speak here about burn in, it will have bad ending.

Daj523: If you want, just burn in for something like 50 hours for peace in your soul.

I returned my unit yesterday, I must say it turns great mp3 player into great sounding device on level of many home dacs.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 19, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #68 of 1,448

Quote:
Dont speak here about burn in, it will have bad ending.

Daj523: If you want, just burn in for something like 50 hours for peace in your soul.

Best two pieces of advice I've heard all day.  I was also going to suggest the 50 hrs.  If you believe in burn-in, then you have nothing to lose.

Quote:

I returned my unit yesterday, I must say it turns great mp3 player into great sounding device on level of many home dacs.

Out of curiosity, what made you return it?  I'm going to guess cost vs. benefits. 

In doing a really quick comparison between the DAC on the Fostex and the one on the iQube (and even my E7), I don't hear much of a difference.  Maybe those who can pick out 320kbps mp3s over .wav will be able to hear differently.  But for me, the Fostex is just a nice way to get a noise-free signal out of the iPod.  And because the amp does sound distinctly different than my other amps (and the best match I have found so far with my ER-4Ps), I am happy with it.  I would not by any stretch call it a bargain or even cost effective.  For me, it just happens to fit my needs of wanting something of higher quality that won't keep me anchored to my desk or computer.  And it also satisfies my 'just in case' anxiety- where I like to have something just a little better than what I think I can hear... "for peace in (my) soul"! 
redface.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #70 of 1,448

Quote:
Mine unit was just on loan from local distributor. I write review for one Czech site.

Ahhh.  Can you please forward the review?  We might have to Google Translate it, but it would still be nice!  Or if you have the time, perhaps write a small summary for us. 
smile.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #71 of 1,448
Many thanks for everyone who replied. I'll just go ahead and enjoy the music :) Will post impressions soon.

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #72 of 1,448
I've searched the various threads here regarding the HP-P1 and the Fostex specs and I don't see an explanation of how the USB data transfer is handled.  Does anybody know if it is asynchronous like the CLAS?

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #73 of 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexiCat
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've searched the various threads here regarding the HP-P1 and the Fostex specs and I don't see an explanation of how the USB data transfer is handled.  Does anybody know if it is asynchronous like the CLAS?

It is not.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #74 of 1,448

Quote:
It is not.

Thanks.  This thing really has piqued my interest, but I would like to hear some more impressions before I pull the trigger!

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #75 of 1,448
Initial impressions on my end with the HP-P1 are very positive, but I have not yet had an opportunity to really sit down and A/B versus my iBasso D6 or my RSA P-51 Mustang (as far as amps go).  Judging by the improvements in sound that I do detect, the DAC is slightly better than the one in my iPhone 3GS (which, as an additional point of reference, I personally detected to already be noticeably better than the DACs in the iPod Classic and the iPod Nano).  I will try to get some more critical listening and A/B comparison in when I can find the time and then I will report back.  Suffice it to say that I am satisfied enough with the sound to definitely keep the HP-P1, but I still need the opportunity to quantify how much better I find the combination of iPhone 3GS + HP-P1 versus 3GS + D6 and 3GS + P-51.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back