Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
Nov 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #331 of 479
  Ive been trying to figure out the problem with why it wouldn't save my input selection.

There's an "input/volume mem" option in the settings which is "disabled" on yours now. Put it on "input" to remember the input, "volume" to remember the volume, "input + volume" to remember both.

If you don't have the option you need to upgrade your firmware.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #332 of 479
Ive been trying to figure out the problem with why it wouldn't save my input selection.

Download v3 firmware update, it will occure automatically.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #335 of 479
Nope it is the default. I bought the unit from a guy off of here and he had a newer version update just not the newest update. Well he must have already had it saved. When I updated the HP-A8 it defaulted back. It's is a very annoying feature.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #337 of 479

So they made it default at last to save volume and input selection? Never understood why this option was disabled by default...

According to the V3 manual supplement default is still "disable". That's what I remember as well.
I prefer input memory but I don't use volume memory.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #338 of 479

According to the V3 manual supplement default is still "disable". That's what I remember as well.
I prefer input memory but I don't use volume memory.

Well, its not that big a problem as the option to make it remember does exist after all. Its just unexpected behaviour to me... but I grew up with analog amps that would have had a hard time resetting volume or input, given their physical switches and pots :wink:

That said I just remembered that my old NAD preamp does indeed forget the input selection: its remote controlled and buttons switch a relais-based input selection. So much for that... the volume pot stays in place though.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #340 of 479
Motorized knobs with remote control that reset themselves would have been a nice way to annoy us back then!
wink.gif

Especially when always resetting to max :wink:
The NAD's volume pot is indeed motorized, but fortunately lazy. It even has a small led indicating the position, which is a nice touch as it really helps to see the current position from a bit away.

But actually the endless encoder is one of the things I don't like that much about the A8. What I miss more though is XLR out for the DAC part... at least the RCA sockets are of good quality.

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #341 of 479
Is it better to use HPA8 variable out and connect to an external amp bypassing the volume control OR
HPA8 direct out and use the volume control on the external amp?

The external amp that I have in mind uses Alps blue velvet.

Been trying to read about digital vs analog volume control.
Seems like digital control is preferred to minimize degradation?

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #342 of 479
Is it better to use HPA8 variable out and connect to an external amp bypassing the volume control OR
HPA8 direct out and use the volume control on the external amp?

The external amp that I have in mind uses Alps blue velvet.

Been trying to read about digital vs analog volume control.
Seems like digital control is preferred to minimize degradation?

You're trying to feed a normal integrated amp, i.e. it has a preamp with volume control, not just a power amp, right? In that case I'd use the fixed level output and regulate at the amp. In case of feeding a power amp there's no way around the HP-A8's volume control.

It depends on how digital volume control is implemented. It reduces bit depth, so I'd not use it if it uses less than 24bit internal encoding (the A8 should be fine in that regard). I prefer volume control on the analog level, either done by a good potentiometer or a relais-controlled resistor network.

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #343 of 479
I am trying to feed the output signal to a Inspire IHA tube amp.

Since it has two inputs, I would like to request that one of it bypasses the amp's blue velvet attenuator and I will use the HPA8 to control the volume.

Not sure if it is a good idea. Question is then how good is the HPA8 digital volume control? Better than a blue velvet?

I am assuming that the range of volume control will be relatively limited given that TH900 is pretty sensitive and the IHA is quite powerful. Using the HPA8 may just provide a little more fine adjustment.

Also at the lower range there may in channel imbalance with the blue velvet.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #344 of 479
As those two inputs are labelled as Aux1 and Aux2 I don't think one of them bypasses the volume control (i.e. is a direct input to the power amp). I'd use the fixed level output of the HP-A8 and feed the Inspire inputs, using its volume control.

If you're using extremely sensitive IEMs a channel imbalance at the lowest volume setting may be a problem. If you can keep the volume above 9 o'clock that should be of no concern given that you're using a good potentiometer. I'd stay clear of digital volume control...

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #345 of 479
Hello,
is it possible to plug a microphone with 3,5 or 6,3 connector directly into the Fostex HP-A8? I was so close to buying it but now realized that i can't find the input-slot.

Thank you for reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back