Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
Mar 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #227 of 479
Slow down, I never claimed it had any effect on sound quality. I just said that they chose to include a $2 cable with a device that supposedly has an MSRP of 100,000 JPY.
All I am saying is get something that will last a little longer and will have better usability. Something with a ground pin, and preferably cloth wrapped so it doesn't tangle as much if you move your amp around.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #228 of 479
Well it's an audio forum so you can see where the confusion is when you call something garbage.

Good to have that cleared up.

EDIT: Since you're buying the Japan version, it's normal to get a cable without a ground pin because Japan power sockets only accept 2 pronged power plugs.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #229 of 479
I got a ground pin, liking the hpa8 more each week.

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #230 of 479
Well it's an audio forum so you can see where the confusion is when you call something garbage.

Good to have that cleared up.

EDIT: Since you're buying the Japan version, it's normal to get a cable without a ground pin because Japan power sockets only accept 2 pronged power plugs.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html

Well, obviously. I know that. Although newer construction in Japan tends to include at least a few outlets with ground pins.
Also, it doesn't even include a screw down ground wire like a lot of Japanese products do. So, the input on the HP-A8 has an earth, but the plug they give you has no way to connect it. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #231 of 479
Update: I changed sources. The USB DAC input apparently isn't quite ready to work miracles from my computer quite yet. My new source is my DX50 player running Rockbox (coax output). Makes quite a difference, I was definitely picking up jitter before which resulted in high frequency noise and fatigue. The DAC's I had previously were the same way...Average to poor performance from the PC USB, but stepped up their game via Coax. I just never liked using the DX50 previously because of the colored sound, now that it is running Rockbox, the sound is pretty much neutral, so that issue is solved. I'm wondering if it's worth adding digital output capabilities to my PC.

So far, I've tried it with the internal amp and my Lyr with 70's Amperex tubes on the HD800. Both are as expected, the Lyr sounding fat and tubey and the internal amp sounding tight and detailed with that slight lower mid coloration. Both are extremely musical and enjoyable now, with minimal fatigue. There is some brightness on the internal with the HD800, but it's bearable, especially since the lows and mids are so pretty. The Lyr is not giving me any serious fatigue worth mentioning and I consider it a good pairing with the DAC section, although it's not a clear winner over the internal. I still have to test with my other amps (Nighthawk, V-200 and maybe the Magni), but I'm expecting similar improvements/results.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #232 of 479
So only difference between HP-A8 and HP-A8C is that "C" includes, 

1. international matched voltage
2. the auto power off feature 
3. black side panel for HP-A8C

?

No sonic differences ? both plays DSD, and support SD card ?

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #233 of 479
One thing you could add to your points is that the HP-A8C comes with an international warranty, but apart from that the items listed are the only differences.

I'm going to say that sonically they are the same, I have the HP-A8 and I have tried it in Japan and in NZ and it sounds exactly the same.

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #234 of 479
Agree the same.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #235 of 479
Ok thanks guys, I will try to find HP-A8 in Canada, .. everything is expensive in Canada.. :frowning2:

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #236 of 479
1599 you may find a discount code occasionally. Thats where I got mine.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #238 of 479
You should be able to get it much cheaper if you follow Matvei's advice.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578167/fostex-hp-a8-dac-amp-and-other-fostex-gear/210#post_10332935

Ya if both HP-A8 and HP-A8C are the same make sense to just buy the Japanese version and tweak it.

I might just buy the deal package from Sonic Sense for $2295 USD as I need the second TH900 for work.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #240 of 479
  Ya if both HP-A8 and HP-A8C are the same make sense to just buy the Japanese version and tweak it.

I might just buy the deal package from Sonic Sense for $2295 USD as I need the second TH900 for work.

It would appear that Sonic Sense only ships Stateside.

You may want to checkout this brick and mortar in Toronto  http://headfoneshop.com/

Give him a call

Users who are viewing this thread

Back