Fostex HP-A4
Sep 13, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #271 of 324
i have readed the hp-a4 user guide , its seems that it use usb audio class 2 , and windows didn't implemented this yet
this is why other DACS (for example schiit) need a driver for windows only.

anyway , i have another question , are you still able to use the onboard sound card when the hp-a4 is connected to your computer ?
(windows still show it as audio device when you choose which device you want to listen from at the control panel / foobar settings...?)
i am asking since my plan is to use it with foobar2000 while listening to music with large headphones ,and use the onboard for other things
with different headphones (it is not comfortable to wear large headphones for anything i do with the computer rather then music listening)

thanks again , your answers are really helpful

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #272 of 324
yup easliy, on foobar go to preference > playback > output and you can choose you source.

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #273 of 324
Try to get it with massdrop I got mine at $307 and I am considering buying burson audio supreme sound opamp probably that can help sound quality any of you guys got any experience with that opamp?? Other item you could consider is the teac ud501

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #274 of 324
Hey !

I am in Japan now, and want to buy A4. Is this good things for its price today ?
 Or may be i should see something else ?

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #275 of 324
  Hey !

I am in Japan now, and want to buy A4. Is this good things for its price today ?
 Or may be i should see something else ?

Im in Japan too. Where you living? 
Anyway. I had a REALLY hard time finding amps and dacs to buy in Japan. They just don't have the selection they have in the USA. And I don't trust reviews here. Not to mention the prices of the boutique stuff is insane and not indicative of quality at all. 

I was think about the A4 for a REALLY long time, but I decided against becuase the amp really weak at 100mw. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the A4 will have a hard time driving a lot the cans out there. 

TEAC has 2 or 3 models that were really appealing. 501 and 301 series I believe. 

Ulitmatly I spent about twice what I was aiming for and bought a Martantz HD-DAC1. It had just come out and I was able to grab one off amazon for 70,000 yen. I could not be happier. It matches perfectly with my q701. But even at 800mw at low impedance I have to turn the pot up to 75% even 90% on some high DR tracks. 

Anyway. Check TEAC or the Fostex A8 if your wallet can take it. Or the Marantz. I also run a O2 and Odac which gets the job done.
Check out amazon Japan and camelcamelcamel. It has the price history of amazon products. Works for Amazon japan too.  

EDIT: Of course you can run an amp off the A4. I am sure plenty of people just use it as a DAC. I forgot to add that. But at the time I was looking for a full amp/dac combo. 

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #276 of 324
Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for the answer !
smile.gif

I living in Osaka.
Actually 100mw is more than enough for me now. And japanese rooms are not so spacious for big size stereo system.
triportsad.gif
I think you know too.

I don't trust reviews here. Not to mention the prices of the boutique stuff is insane and not indicative of quality at all. 

Oh, its true !!!

I had a REALLY hard time finding amps and dacs to buy in Japan. They just don't have the selection they have in the USA. 

I've never lived in USA, but i think it's true.

Sorry for my english.

upd

I  bought Teac UD 301 for 18000 yen and very happy
biggrin.gif

http://www.e-earphone.jp/   Very good shop ! I think is the best shop in Japan i've ever seen. I Recomended !

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #277 of 324
Hello Everyone, 

If i can get this for CAD $220 (USD $170) USED is it worth it? I have my THX00 purple hearts incoming so im seriously considering this!

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #278 of 324
Hello Everyone, 

If i can get this for CAD $220 (USD $170) USED is it worth it? I have my THX00 purple hearts incoming so im seriously considering this!

Wow that's half price and definitely a great deal! The HP-A4 sounds great with my TH600 and TH-X00 mahagony.

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #279 of 324
sounds good! thank you for your input!

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #280 of 324
hah that's my hp4a!!!

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #281 of 324
Haha, what are the odds!!

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #282 of 324
You got my text?

Try to bring you he 500, i had the 560 and it sounded good on the 4a. The 500's warmer tone should complement the 4a's smooth yet bright sound. Oh and your computer ofc.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #283 of 324
Got your text

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #284 of 324
Just ordered both Fostex HP-A4 and TEAC UD-301 DAC/AMP.
The TEAC had a price drop and I got it for 369 Euro, whereas the Fostex cost me 329 Euro.
I am realy curious if these units wil provide a similar or better: an upgrade in sound compared to the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II connected to my Marantz PM7200 amp, with this I listen my headphones over the simple built-in headphones out.
I love the sound the headphones-out of the Marantz gives, just like the headphones-out of my Marantz CD players, they are excelllent. All the dedicated headphones amps I tried in the past never satisfied me, they lacked stereo width, depth or the warmth the Marantz gives me. I don't think the V-DAC MK II adds that much to it, because my older CD players (CD5000 and CD6000 KI) sound almost identical to the V-DAC, but it definitely beats the soundcard of my iMac.
But unfortunately the headphones output of my Marantz has a slight hum, it was there from day one, it never bothered me much, but with classical music it is just not that ideal.

I will try these affordable units first, because my headphones aren't that difficult to drive, so a real need for an amp just isn't there, and if they don't offer me the least something similar to my Marantz amp Headphones out (but without hum) then I will save up for the Marantz HD-DAC1.

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #285 of 324
What a cute little device the Fostex is! And what a sound! I had a very difficult time deciding which I liked best, the Fostex or the TEAC UD-301.
Both sound more or less identical with many material, but the TEAC proves to be just a bit better with big, dense orchestral music. Not that the Fostex cannot handles this, but the TEAC is more sovereign, has better control. The Fostex is a tad too hyper, restless, maybe too dynamic at places where more constraint is asked.
Another thing in favor for the TEAC is the slightly smoother treble, but only with a few tracks I tried, while listening very concentrated. Not something I would normally do, I want to enjoy music, not comparing sound. With that said, yes I could easily live with both units. But I have to make a choice, I don't want to keep both.
Price performance wise (with sound performance in mind) the Fostex, beats the TEAC, its MSRP is 329 euro in the Netherlands, whereas the TEAC has/had a MSRP of 549 euro. But since I could get the TEAC for 369 euro, the unit itself looks nicer, is more premium built and has very slight better sound quality I'll keep the TEAC and will return the Fostex...but not without regret, I almost feel a bit sorry for that little fella (what a weird guy I am, humanizing a device)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back