Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Mar 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #181 of 3,854
McLaren going back to last year's car? They must have some serious issues. Pirelli should make their tires last a little longer. It takes the excitement out of a competitive race when cars slow down to conserve tires.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #182 of 3,854
Quote:
McLaren going back to last year's car? They must have some serious issues. Pirelli should make their tires last a little longer. It takes the excitement out of a competitive race when cars slow down to conserve tires.

It needs support from all teams and that wont happen. It's also a bit wrong to do that when they have been testing for couple of months just for those tires. Some didn't success, some some did. That's F1.
Strategy has always played big part of the sport, especially back in the days when refuelling was still happening. 

Pretty amazing from Massa. Hopefully Ferrari doesn't fock his race once again. Really, really interested to see Lotus, Ferrari and RB tomorrow. Kind of wish it wont rain.  

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #183 of 3,854
Quote:
It needs support from all teams and that wont happen. It's also a bit wrong to do that when they have been testing for couple of months just for those tires. Some didn't success, some some did. That's F1.
Strategy has always played big part of the sport, especially back in the days when refuelling was still happening. 

Pretty amazing from Massa. Hopefully Ferrari doesn't fock his race once again. Really, really interested to see Lotus, Ferrari and RB tomorrow. Kind of wish it wont rain.  

You have to wonder what exactly they were testing when this is the result. It's not like they had no data from last year about track wear etc. Pirelli seems to be really far off in this whole return to F1 venture of theirs. Laregly the result of sole source tire manufacturer, I think.

Ferrari not waylayFelipe? Why sir, have they changed the team orders rule?

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #184 of 3,854
Well, I was at least right about who the top 5 were, even if I got the order more-or-less completely wrong...

Looking forward to the race tomorrow, even if it looks like I won't be able to catch much of it live (4:00 AM here for the start).

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #185 of 3,854
Quote:
I don't think you know what understeer or drifting is...

You're right.
My hundreds of hours of seat time in an actual race car on an actual race track means I know less than you. (Look at my profile)

Lets not get this thread off track (pun intended) with ridiculous bitch statements though..

Moving on...

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #187 of 3,854
"I hope McLaren can catch up"

Well, they have 3 drivers now apparently. That was amazingly comical from Lewis.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #188 of 3,854
I just had a quick question I wanted to put to everyone:

I know it is asked that no one talks about the race in this thread until a few days after the event without using a spoiler. I appreciate that this is to avoid ruining the race for anyone who has not seen it but I can't help feeling that the thread is suffering from inactivity as a result. 

By Tuesday I think everyone's desire to talk about the race has subsided as they have generally done so elsewhere by then. I just wanted to see if other people generally agreed with me on this and whether there is any support for removing this criteria and instead advising against viewing the thread until you have seen the race? Generally I think anyone who is likely to view the thread is going to know when the races are. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #189 of 3,854
Yes believe it´s common sense to avoid threads like this if you don´t want to risk getting any spoilers about the last race.

btw I tried to make a spoiler tagged post did I fail or something or why is it removed lol?

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #190 of 3,854
It's almost certain at least one person won't follow the Spoiler rule, so I do my best to stay away until I've watched the race.  Even the slightest mention of a result messes me all up.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #191 of 3,854
Well, I thought it was very exciting - lots of close moments, big surprise early on.

Vettel and Webber sparring on laps 43-45 was some really great racing, too bad it wasn't  supposed to be going on. The two Mercedes cars also got some good action in. Real shame for Button - so close, and yet so far. Goes double for the Force India drivers.

I also laughed at the Lewis/McLaren pit :D

All-in-all, it seems to be on track for an exciting and unpredictable season, even if the result today didn't go as I might have hoped.

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #192 of 3,854
Quote:
You're right.
My hundreds of hours of seat time in an actual race car on an actual race track means I know less than you. (Look at my profile)

Lets not get this thread off track (pun intended) with ridiculous bitch statements though..

Moving on...

You're right, you may have more track knowledge than me but does that constitute your "bitch statement?" I think not. You basically showed to me what kind of track person you are with your comment about sad sacks in their Civics. (No, I do not drive a Civic so you can save that argument.) We're all here to talk about our love of motorsport and I apologize if I somehow offended you with my comment but to somehow think you know all the ins and outs of car control from your racing experience is a gross over-exageration.

Back on topic now,

the race was definitely fun watching both Mercedes and Red Bull fight against each other. You could see Webber ready to have it out with Vettel while they were waiting for the ceremony with Newey in the room with them.
*edited for grammar

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #194 of 3,854
Now that I've had time to finish watching the post-race interviews and replays, more detailed commentary:

DRIVERS
Vettel I didn't watch qualifying, but I wasn't exactly surprised to see Vettel on pole - his qualifying laps are always the ones to watch. Obviously you can't mention Vettel in this race without mentioning his battle with Webber, which I thought was a great spectacle - before I knew what exactly went on. If Vettel is telling the truth and didn't realize Webber had eased back on his engine (which I doubt, honestly) then I hope he follows through on his promise and gives Webber a proper chance later on. Otherwise, I think that's taking a rather unfair advantage and just a display of ego.

Webber Very impressive driving right off the start - through the first several corners he was looking in top shape, a welcome improvement after his somewhat lackluster pace in Melbourne. I was hoping and expecting to see a well-deserved Webber victory today, and from the way he was acting in post-race interviews I'm guessing he had similar feelings. The call to keep him on the harder tires seemed to me the right choice, seeing how Vettel was barely keeping his car under control after his tire change.

Alonso Biggest surprise of a surprise-filled race for me was Alonso not pitting with his front in that condition, and obviously it came back to bite him. When I first watched the race I thought the driver overtaking had actually hit his front, but that turned out to not be the case. Still, a shame.

Button As a McLaren fan I was obviously quite disappointed with the way JB's race ended, but he did some outstanding driving the whole way through - very encouraging for the chances of a McLaren resurgence later in the season. Race 2 is still way too early to count McLaren out, and if they can pick up from here they're looking solid to fight for the podium at China. I guess McLaren's lightning-fast pit stop doesn't come without its problems.

Raikkonen I was hoping for more, but it was a solid race at least. No telling how he would have done without that grid penalty, but the penalty was fair, so no way to argue it.

Grosjean Good to see him picking up the pace this week; Melbourne was a bit disappointing. Lotus is still very much in it.

Massa I didn't see quite the pace I was expecting out of Ferrari this week, but Massa had a solid performance.

Hamilton Good racing, but he had to throttle back for fuel conservation too early and didn't do much after that. Fits with the general less-contested nature of this race compared to some others (at the front, that is).

Rosberg Good the whole way through, and I think he handled the team order very reasonably - chafing, but still when it comes down to it still a member of the team (something that cannot perhaps be said for certain other drivers higher up on this list). I'd like to see him really go head-to-head with Hamilton some other time, though.

Hulkenberg Nice to see him getting a chance to actually drive, and drive pretty well. Kimi's annoyance aside, I don't really think anything he did was particularly egregious.

Sutil & di Resta Great shame, but they didn't really have time to shine much. Even before the wheel problems Sutil wasn't as competitive as I had hoped to see, although di Resta was doing pretty decently.

Bianchi I must say I was rather impressed with his driving and with Marussia this weekend; hope to see more of him in the future, perhaps in a more competitive car.

TEAMS
Red Bull Nothing much to say here - this is where we expect them to be.

Ferrari Disappointing race for Ferrari. A lot of people expected a strong weekend for the red cars, but bad luck robbed one of the chance and Massa just couldn't quite keep it up there with the frontrunners.

McLaren One of the big positive surprises for the race was the dramatically increased pace we saw from McLaren (particularly Button) this time around. I really thought they had both cars solidly in the points, but it was not to be.

Lotus Solid, but not outstanding. Both cars right below the frontrunners, which makes one wonder if their win at Melbourne had more to do with the top teams doing poorly than with Lotus doing well.

Force India Both cars out for the same problem isn't going to sit well with the team, but at least it's an easy fix. Sutil not looking quite so good this weekend as last.

Mercedes Good stuff from Mercedes, but they don't seem to have what it takes to actually catch up to the Red Bulls. I expect their fuel strategy is going to be under review for China.

Toro Rosso Same problem as last week, interestingly enough. Doesn't seem like coincidence to me.

Marussia Doing impressively well, but still shy of the points. Maybe that will change next time, although probably not - Button and Alonso are likely to be back in the points, which of course pushes everyone else down.

THE RACE
Not quite the spectacle that Melbourne was (return of Red Bull dominance, the podium was all spelled out for a quarter of the race except maybe 5th) but still I think a pretty good race. Lots of overtaking and aggressive (sometimes too aggressive) driving, which makes for good watching. In contrast to Melbourne - which was a very clean and problem-free race, all things considered - here the breakdowns and politics are both starting to make their presence known. So far we've pretty much ticked off all of the boxes they mentioned at the very start:

The same guy wins every race Nope! Although from here on out he might, but hopefully not...
The big guys never change teams Well... None of them have yet in mid-season, but we'll see...
Seb can't overtake Nope! Not only can he, but he will rather he should or not! :p
The teams fail to surprise us They sure do. Just not in the ways we expect to be surprised :D
Williams are a spent force Eh, well...
Red Bull don't make mistakes Not quite, but they came very close.
Sponteniety? Definitely.
Politics? Oh, yes!
And we'll have to wait to see about the last race.

One wonder I have is: is the divide this is going to cause between Vettel and Webber being exaggerated, or are we going to see more and more problems between the two? I'm sure a lot of people are going to be watching the Red Bull cars quite closely in China.

Certainly not shaping up for being a dull season so far, as long as we can avoid dominance from one team and keep things competitive.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #195 of 3,854
Two good pilots in the same team fighting for victory? Hmm... That brings back memories.

I don't know what to think of it all. Vettel seems to act like a kid... Now, why should he follow the team's rules when he has a chance to win?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back