Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Mar 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #152 of 3,854
I thought the Ferraris were fast, just a little bit twitchy or a little under controllable, they'll figure that out. Just look at the start of that race. Just one race, can't predict who will win. One thing though, RB won't dominate this season.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #153 of 3,854
Nice discussion guys.
I have been surprised to see both ferrari keeping the same Vettel's pace,even after many laps,unfortunately Massa has been cheated againg by his own team politics....Well i hope that if in the next races he continues to be a quick pilot like last race and last races of the precedent season,therefore menacing Alonso first pilot position;then maybe Domenicali (which i think is a bad manager,light years behind Todd) will stop giving Alonso privileges.
Very Happy for Kimi,he's my favourite if Any of Ferrari drivers don't win;Along with Sutil,choosing the 2 stop strategy.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #155 of 3,854
Quote:

The only good thing about Grosjean is that he isn't Piquet Jr.

biggrin.gif

Quote:
Grosjean's fast, he just needs to adapt.

He'd better do it quick...

I still remember when everyone down here saw him as the next Prost
rolleyes.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #156 of 3,854
Quote:
Grosjean's fast, he just needs to adapt.

And isn't Kubica moving to WRC? I never got a chance to watch him race in F1. Pity.

He is moving anywhere where he can drive. There's no coming back to F1.

Doctors already couple of months ago said that the nerves wont ever return to the stage of him being able to drive F1 again. Seems like he has come in the terms with that as he just yesterday commented that he could see driving some of the F1 races, but could not see his hands able to cope with Monaco like races anymore. He has been looking at GT racing and rallying. 

As for Grosjean. He got the speed, but he just needs to get those points. On this race he was not able to set the car for the race as he got the parts Kimi was running just day before the race and was not able to test them at all. It was clear that his tires where shot so much easily than Kimi's.

There's no other sport where such a small things can make you look like a winner or totally crap. Granted, this week he will need to perform. We will also have to see how will Lotus perform in a totally different climate. Lotus has usually been better on hot weather, but so has RB. If Lotus will carry with the tire domination, i doubt it will be something that other will "just fix" in matter of a month and keep the package as it is.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #158 of 3,854
Quote:
He is moving anywhere where he can drive. There's no coming back to F1.

Doctors already couple of months ago said that the nerves wont ever return to the stage of him being able to drive F1 again. Seems like he has come in the terms with that as he just yesterday commented that he could see driving some of the F1 races, but could not see his hands able to cope with Monaco like races anymore. He has been looking at GT racing and rallying. 

As for Grosjean. He got the speed, but he just needs to get those points. On this race he was not able to set the car for the race as he got the parts Kimi was running just day before the race and was not able to test them at all. It was clear that his tires where shot so much easily than Kimi's.

There's no other sport where such a small things can make you look like a winner or totally crap. Granted, this week he will need to perform. We will also have to see how will Lotus perform in a totally different climate. Lotus has usually been better on hot weather, but so has RB. If Lotus will carry with the tire domination, i doubt it will be something that other will "just fix" in matter of a month and keep the package as it is.

Well Hamilton has always been notorious for eating tyres (contrast him and Button over the last couple of years for proof) yet he hasn't made many of the colossal blunders number 2 lotus chauffeur has. Any dolt can make an F1 car go fast, thats what they are made for, Fast and in control is quite another thing and Gosjean has not had that since the lower formulas. The Bull Durham "Million Dollar Arm With A Ten Cent Head" allegory comes to mind here.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #159 of 3,854
Mar 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #160 of 3,854
Quote:
Woo hoo! Now that's counter steering!

Yeah but everybody knows that with a rear wheel drive car you cure understeer>snap oversteer with a boot full of throttle. Not impressed.
Had he approached the turn correctly he would have been smooth.
Save the drifting for the sad sacks in their Honda Civics.

Was it Lewis who said that Vettel will miss 4 apex's per lap?

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #161 of 3,854
Quote:
Save the drifting for the sad sacks in their Honda Civics.

Was it Lewis who said that Vettel will miss 4 apex's per lap?

You know Civics are FWD right?  I have two; the '94 hatch is an Autocrosser.  
biggrin.gif

It was Lewis.  Couple pages back.

"Fernando, for me, is more accurate," the Englishman told The Daily Telegraph in November. "He hits all the apexes Sebastian misses four apexes on a single lap and still goes quickest. ... Fernando didn't have a great car at the start of the year and he still managed to score some great, great points. He's been massively consistent. That was the consistency I wanted to get, but he toppled mine and just kept on going and going."

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #162 of 3,854
Autocross is great fun. Excellent for mastering car control.

No comment on the Civic, I'm sure it's fun to drive. I just don't like the drifter/tuner crowd too much. C'mon an automatic Civic etc with fat exhaust sounds well, embarrassing.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #163 of 3,854
Quote:
I just don't like the drifter/tuner crowd too much. C'mon an automatic Civic etc with fat exhaust sounds well, embarrassing.

I agree.  My other is a stock, but lowered (all cars must be lowered!) 02 Si Civic hatch.

Here's the '94.  E Prepared prep'd weighing in at 1697 lbs with a full tank.  Hoosier full on race slicks, 9.5" wide in front. 
biggrin.gif

Fun stuff.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #164 of 3,854
Quote:
Woo hoo! Now that's counter steering!

Ahem Car Control See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SmrV-FFC1w

In the rain in the ground effect turbocar that obliterated its own team that year.

Or for the most current examples. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTpzIGaGi5k
See Alonso's recovery from a 360 off road excursion or Raikkonens little event.

Too bad there's no real footage of Jim Clark. Watching him in the lotus cortina "just playing around" was inspiring.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #165 of 3,854
Looking forward to hopefully catching this week live - I wasn't able to last week, so I already knew who had won before I even saw it. Good race, though - at the very start I would never have guessed Vettel would finish anything but first, or that the Ferraris wouldn't be the ones to displace him if it happened. Next week I'm expecting to see Red Bull back on form, but you never know. It's looking to be a strong Ferrari season at the start, and I don't expect that to stop, either.

I usually root for McLaren, but it doesn't look like that's a very realistic prospect this year... One can always hope. Otherwise, go Kimi! Here's to hoping neither Red Bull or Ferrari win this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back