Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Sep 13, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #1,261 of 3,854
I know a lot of people moan about FIA interference. But the truth is that engineering has surpassed the sport and the tracks' abilities to accommodate it. Without regulation we would at point where almost anyone could drive cars around consistently at these speeds. Never before has F1 been so consistent, with so few break downs, had such a small spread in the field, and been so bereft of driver error.

The driver is supposed to do more than put in playstation lap times. Personally I think F1 is moving in the right direction and I'm really at a loss as to why so many people want to find fault with this year's evolution of the sport.

I believe that it always ultimately boils down to what you want F1 to be.

Do we want something nice to watch on TV, or do we want a sport that goes on and continiously re-defines the paradigm of civil technology (driver aids aside)?

My problem though, is more about the fact the FIA's regulations always have more or less the same goal, to keep the playing field level.

It's great for the action it brings, but it sucks on a more ideological viewpoint. Newey's right, F1's really becoming GP1.

That's cool, I like series-car races, but I want my F1 back.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,262 of 3,854
What about cost control? if Ferrari, RB have their way there will be only 2-3 teams left in F1. I think what FIA is doing right changes else it will be too boring with few dominant teams leading drivers and constructors championship. I think Williams wont be doing whats its doing now without changes this year.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #1,263 of 3,854
  Especially since the footage clearly shows that Prost's the one to blame... The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

The irony of Prost calling it a suicide move by Nick is almost to much :p

I

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,264 of 3,854
To be honest I'm not sure Heidfeld would have made the corner on that line; Prost might have been able to keep a cool head and re-pass him afterwards, depending on how close the finish line was (I don't remember). But yeah, not quite right to blame Heidfeld there.

(obligatory Senna/Prost argument) ... Unlike in Suzuka 1989, where Senna was to blame.

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,265 of 3,854
To be honest I'm not sure Heidfeld would have made the corner on that line; Prost might have been able to keep a cool head and re-pass him afterwards, depending on how close the finish line was (I don't remember).

(obligatory Senna/Prost argument) ... Unlike in Suzuka 1989, where Senna was to blame.

Since Prost didn't even manage to avoid him in the first place, I highly doubt that he'd have been able to pass him again.

Well, I don't want to get in the 89' Japan GP debate all over again, but I wouldn't be so sure about it being Senna's fault.

It definitely took more than just Senna's will to happen. At least to my eyes.

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #1,266 of 3,854
Since Prost didn't even manage to avoid him in the first place, I highly doubt that he'd have been able to pass him again.

Well, I don't want to get in the 89' Japan GP debate all over again, but I wouldn't be so sure about it being Senna's fault.

It definitely took more than just Senna's will to happen. At least to my eyes.

I think it´s quite clear what happened. Prost felt Nick had him and would take the win by a bold move and decided to crash them both and see what happened. He was not going to let Nick pass no matter what :)
If he was sure Nick could not take the corner he could do the undercut but no 110 % Prost fault not even his father seem to disagree on that :p

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #1,267 of 3,854
Prost moved over way before the corner. If Heidfeld wasn't going to make the corner, then Prost wasn't going to make it from the line he was moving to either. It was cheap @ss blocking gone wrong, pure and simple.

I'm not sold on Formula E yet. I could not get past the RC cars sound, the switching cars pit stop, the skinny tires and the hideous front wheel cowlings. Also the unfortunate, sparsely populated track they chose for the inaugural race didn't help any. They also need to rethink their telemetry/race position colours and design - it looks like the ugly US race series stuff that covers half the screen but in late 80s colours (but at least it only pops up every once in a while). We'll see.

I did think Nick was going to run over and smack Prost upside the helmet, after he extricated himself from the upside down cockpit. :D

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #1,268 of 3,854
They need slicks.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #1,269 of 3,854
Prost could make the excuse he didn´t hear him :D

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,270 of 3,854
Sep 14, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,271 of 3,854
Probably cause they don't need slicks.  Less tire grip livens up the cars a little and we get to see some sliding around.  Put em on slicks and it's like they're on rails.  And it's already boring enough...

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #1,272 of 3,854
Don't know if this has been posted before, but this is one of my favorite F1 photos ever
(Ayrton Senna in his 1250hp turbocharged McLaren MP4-4 in the lead, Alain Prost behind him and at the very back is Shumacher)

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #1,274 of 3,854
Don't know if this has been posted before, but this is one of my favorite F1 photos ever
(Ayrton Senna in his 1250hp turbocharged McLaren MP4-4 in the lead, Alain Prost behind him and at the very back is Shumacher)

Alain Prost in Williams #2 = 1993, n.a. Renault 3.5L V10 760hp 
Senna McClaren MP4/8 n.a.Cosworth 3.5L V8 with less. Not 1250hp turbocharged McLaren MP4-4

Edit:
And yes, they were some of the nicest looking F1 cars ever IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back