Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Sep 22, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,292 of 3,854
Are you suggesting that or Bernie?

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #1,293 of 3,854
I don't like the idea of 3 car teams simply for the way it would change the driver mix.

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #1,294 of 3,854
  I don't like the idea of 3 car teams simply for the way it would change the driver mix.

Indeed, it's already bad enough...

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #1,295 of 3,854
According to F1 Pit Lane Talk,

Big news from La Gazzetta: Fernando Alonso already informed Ferrari about his intention to leave.

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #1,298 of 3,854
  Where is he going to go next?

Inevitably the wrong team at the wrong time.

Most talented driver on the grid, who insists on torpedoing his WDC chances every chance he gets with poor career decisions.

Sep 23, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #1,299 of 3,854
He isn't that talented. He is a weak qualifier a decent race head though.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #1,300 of 3,854
He isn't that talented. He is a weak qualifier a decent race head though.

Alonso not that talented ? While he's certainly no Senna when it comes to qualy, put his bottom in a Merc and he'll do poles just fine.

As for the racing part, just take a look at Singapore's start...

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #1,301 of 3,854
Alonso not that talented ? While he's certainly no Senna when it comes to qualy, put his bottom in a Merc and he'll do poles just fine.

Or any of the Renault races where he went head to head with Schumacher in the then dominant Ferrari:wink:

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,302 of 3,854

That is what I meant with race talent. He overtook Riccardio by not respecting the track limits but make amends to the jury to at least let Vettel pass. Wasn´t it Sutil that got a stop and go for a much smaller version of the same thing :)

He is compensating for his lack of talent by other means. Alonso got beaten by Hamilton when he was rookie in F1 in McLaren already so how could he do better at Mercedes???

As for Renault I think they still have the record in biggest budget in F1 for a single season. They had the entire French state pumping in money at that time. Not really an underdog to Ferrari. 

But yes I may be hard on him F1 is really all about the car and get the seat in the right car. Then you will get the results. Must feel good that he does outqualify Raikkonen though. A more talented driver then Alonso put them both in a fresh car and Raikkonen will beat alonso 9/10. Will be interesting to see what happen if Alonso decides to leave.

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,303 of 3,854

That is what I meant with race talent. He overtook Riccardio by not respecting the track limits but make amends to the jury to at least let Vettel pass. Wasn´t it Sutil that got a stop and go for a much smaller version of the same thing :)

He is compensating for his lack of talent by other means. Alonso got beaten by Hamilton when he was rookie in F1 in McLaren already so how could he do better at Mercedes???

As for Renault I think they still have the record in biggest budget in F1 for a single season. They had the entire French state pumping in money at that time. Not really an underdog to Ferrari. 

But yes I may be hard on him F1 is really all about the car and get the seat in the right car. Then you will get the results. Must feel good that he does outqualify Raikkonen though. A more talented driver then Alonso put them both in a fresh car and Raikkonen will beat alonso 9/10. Will be interesting to see what happen if Alonso decides to leave.

Renault had cut their budget considerably in prep for their exit from F1. Toyota still holds the world record for money spent per year in F1.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that Alonso never used Launch control back in the day and consistently had better starts than any other driver on the grid.

As for Kimi, the proof is in the performance. Do you seriously think the SCUD would pay him out and then beg him to come back only to hamstring him with an inferior car?

Simple, Alonso will leave for yet another team that is either embroiled in some underhanded shennanigans or about to fall off the performance curve with their previously winning car and remain in 3 or 4th position in the WDC with a car any other driver would run screaming from:wink:

Sep 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #1,304 of 3,854

1 : The fact that he chose to let Vettel pass is, if anything, a proof of intelligence. It's modern F1, drivers are allowed by the safety of their cars and of the tracks to cut some corners and yet still be able to race.
Do we want to see corner cutting at every start ? Of course not, but the way he got out of his own mess seemed pretty elegant to me.

2: I never said that he was better than Hamilton, just that he could make poles if his car allowed him to. But then, that could be said of any other driver (apart, obviously, from Maldonado and Chilton)
    Again, it's modern F1. Those guys are running flat out pretty much all the damn time, finding 3 tenths is a miracle to them.

3: So far Kimi didn't show that. Is he an exceptional driver ? Certainly, but these days he's been mostly out of the game. His good results last year came from the car, you can't really argue otherwise.

It saddens me to say this, but to me he looks like a flame in need of oxygen. Never fully extinct yet never fully lit either.

"They had the entire French state pumping in money at that time."

Would you mind telling me where you got that from ? I'm not trying to argue, I just wasn't following F1 closely at the time.

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #1,305 of 3,854

1 : The fact that he chose to let Vettel pass is, if anything, a proof of intelligence. It's modern F1, drivers are allowed by the safety of their cars and of the tracks to cut some corners and yet still be able to race.
Do we want to see corner cutting at every start ? Of course not, but the way he got out of his own mess seemed pretty elegant to me.

2: I never said that he was better than Hamilton, just that he could make poles if his car allowed him to. But then, that could be said of any other driver (apart, obviously, from Maldonado and Chilton)
    Again, it's modern F1. Those guys are running flat out pretty much all the damn time, finding 3 tenths is a miracle to them.

3: So far Kimi didn't show that. Is he an exceptional driver ? Certainly, but these days he's been mostly out of the game. His good results last year came from the car, you can't really argue otherwise.

It saddens me to say this, but to me he looks like a flame in need of oxygen. Never fully extinct yet never fully lit either.

"They had the entire French state pumping in money at that time."

Would you mind telling me where you got that from ? I'm not trying to argue, I just wasn't following F1 closely at the time.

There was that time of the Spanish GP in 2012 where Maldonado ended up winning. That looked to be a very good race there. I found this video that shows that even Alonso finds it hard to overtake him. He is is a very bad team this year and I'm not sure if he has that skill anymore anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_evuuuX5OI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back