Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Sep 25, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #556 of 3,854
So essentially the issue comes from a change in the engine. I think it would've been the same when they switched from V10 to V8.

So teams don't really have any option. On the bright side, the V6 formula is going to stay for a long time.

The step from a normally aspirated v10 to a normally aspirated v8 is tiny compared to moving from that same V8 to a turbo charged V6 with an additional energy recovery system and much more stringent fuel restrictions.

The teams essentially write the regs. They could all agree to close down many avenues of aerodynamic development and the costs would plummet. 2014 is unusual (in recent years) in the amount of money going into power-train development. Usually the majority of expenditure is on aero-voodoo which is hugely expensive.

I think flo-viz is at least $19.99 per can, maybe more. :wink:

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #557 of 3,854
Well, then maybe it *is* a move to restrict the poorer teams. Lets see how many of them stay for the next season.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #558 of 3,854
It's a move for f1 to stay relevant. It's pointless for car manufacturers to developed thirsty v8s 2013 it's medieval. Recycling of power and fuel economy is the future. I am sure they will sound okay with the turbo charger.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #559 of 3,854
Hydrogen is the future. Or maybe electric. Fossil fuel powered anything is medieval, when you get right down to it. But honestly I don't see why a sport has to remain relevant - polo used to be for training horsemen to hit from horseback, and that's not so relevant anymore either.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #560 of 3,854
Agreed. I'd be watching if they were still rockin' 12 cylinders at 21000 rpm - turn up the volume - and using qualifying engines. The fuel efficiency thing is daft when you consider how much petroleum it takes to shuttle 11 teams around the globe for nine months of the year.

But Merc, Honda, and Renault want to be able to use F1 to sell cars.

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #561 of 3,854
  Hydrogen is the future. Or maybe electric. Fossil fuel powered anything is medieval, when you get right down to it. But honestly I don't see why a sport has to remain relevant - polo used to be for training horsemen to hit from horseback, and that's not so relevant anymore either.

Because otherwise Bernie himself would have to pay for the engine development and F1 couldn´t be cutting edge. Renault, mercedez, honda etc want to e able to use what they learn outside of F1 as well or they get much less incentive to sponsor it so heavy. Just PR is not enough.

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #562 of 3,854
If you haven't watched Rush yet, I'd suggest go watch it.

One of the most exciting movies this year, and its portrayal of the 1976 Season and the Hunt-Lauda rivalry is exhilerating. The racing scenes are awesome, some of the best.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #564 of 3,854
  The soundtrack of Rush is by Hans Zimmer.  

Well, I did like some of the background music.

But the movie is carried forward by Daniel Bruhl, his portrayal of Niki is spot on.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #567 of 3,854
"If you haven't watched Rush yet, I'd suggest go watch it.

One of the most exciting movies this year, and its portrayal of the 1976 Season and the Hunt-Lauda rivalry is exhilerating. The racing scenes are awesome, some of the best."

I'll grab that on DVD as soon as its released I think

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #568 of 3,854
DVD? It´s 2013 you know :). Wonder if there will be a 3D version of this? Dunno if I want it if it´s converted but would like to give it a shot anyway :)

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #569 of 3,854
No talk of Red Bull and the traction control on here yet? 
tongue_smile.gif

popcorn.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #570 of 3,854
It wouldn't shock me if it were true, but I expect it's just some sort of loophole in the rules that Adrian thought up. Nothing new about that.

Lewis faster than Seb in both sessions? Anyone think that's gonna last into the race?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back