Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Jan 14, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #346 of 494
I found SoundID has a couple conditions for connection. Wifi or cellular connected, need to be logged in, all locations services must be enabled for bluetooth headphone or IEM (wouldn't connect to Grell TWS/1 until location services enable). SoundID didn't require location services if I had previously (last session) selected a wired headphone, but if selecting a bluetooth set again it would not connect until location services turned back on.

@Evshrug, Do you know what the model number / type for the supplied Comply foam tips? Comply site never gives a model number, only allows selecting earphone manufacturer and model, Grell is not listed on their site. From the measurements I made earlier I believe the Comply tips are either 400 or 500 series. Of course the length is important or will not fit in the charging case.

comply-foam-eartips-t-series-tx-series-tsx-series.jpg
Does anyone know if you buy spares of the silicone ones supplied in the Grell version (not Drop). Like to have extras

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #347 of 494
I found SoundID has a couple conditions for connection. Wifi or cellular connected, need to be logged in, all locations services must be enabled for bluetooth headphone or IEM (wouldn't connect to Grell TWS/1 until location services enable). SoundID didn't require location services if I had previously (last session) selected a wired headphone, but if selecting a bluetooth set again it would not connect until location services turned back on.

@Evshrug, Do you know what the model number / type for the supplied Comply foam tips? Comply site never gives a model number, only allows selecting earphone manufacturer and model, Grell is not listed on their site. From the measurements I made earlier I believe the Comply tips are either 400 or 500 series. Of course the length is important or will not fit in the charging case.

comply-foam-eartips-t-series-tx-series-tsx-series.jpg

Does anyone know if you buy spares of the silicone ones supplied in the Grell version (not Drop). Like to have extras

So, we partnered with a different company to do the OEM tips for the grell TWS/1 and TWS1x, so the foam (and silicone) are not actually Comply. Even with frequent daily use, the slow rebound memory foam should stay in great condition for 3-5 months, but we reached out to our supplier last Monday to see if they could arrange making spare tips available (memory foam and silicone). We’ll bring details on how to order as soon as we have them!

By the way, it is heartening to see all these responses saying that the firmware fixed their concerns and the headphones are working as intended or easily remedied, and now people are just simply enjoying their music /media :)

Just curious, has anyone shuffled and found a song that just seems to really have great synergy on the grell audio TWS/1 abs TWS1x? I like to find a collection, and here’s a few I’ve found so far… a pretty eclectic mix:

It is an eclectic mix, and I have made no effort to give it a smooth “flow” with rising action and rests, but it’s always fun to share and see what others are enjoying :)

Another handy tool: if you find a track and want to see all the services that stream or sell it, or if you want to share a track with everyone but you don’t know what music service they like to use, I have found Odesli to be convenient. What you do is use the site to either paste in the link for a track/album/artist or type in a search, and the site displays a link “tree” of where you can find that music.

https://odesli.co/

I call this the fun part 🤩 Hope to see how you are enjoying your music!!

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #348 of 494
@Evshrug : yeah heartening indeed :)

I hope some youtube reviewers will also revisit the Grell earbuds after the last firmware update (2.3.0)..but i am sure in the long run, more and more will learn about them and come to appreciate them.

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #349 of 494
Just wondering, do people here experience the left side dropping out randomly or even some sort of random distortion/interference? Even after firmware 2.3.0, I still find this to be an issue.

The thing is, if I only use the left piece and leave the right piece in the charging case, I don't observe any interference or dropouts....

setup: iPhone 11 Pro Max (AAC)

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #350 of 494
Just wondering, do people here experience the left side dropping out randomly or even some sort of random distortion/interference? Even after firmware 2.3.0, I still find this to be an issue.

The thing is, if I only use the left piece and leave the right piece in the charging case, I don't observe any interference or dropouts....

I do have random brief dropouts and can be left or right. So far though the problem of one of them dropping out and having no way to get them working again without putting them back in the case and starting over has not happened since the 2.3.0 update which is great.

Jan 17, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #351 of 494

I have issues with anc or anr in my left earbud. Sometimes it randomly starts putting out way too much pressure and making really weird noises. No idea what causes it, but it's really unpleasant.

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #352 of 494
I dont have those issues but the battery life is not so great...i also dont know how much more battery life is sucked by having SoundId on.
and finally they dont go to sleep in the case....
Seems like the same issue or design flaw that plagued the Sennheiser MTW1 that makes an unpleasant return here!

Do you know if those earbuds go to sleep at all???

Jan 17, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #353 of 494

Contacted Drop support and it seems like they are quick to call this a defective unit and they are willing to replace mine with a new unit.

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #354 of 494
I have received my Drop version last week and am generally happy with their design.

There are a few issues I have noticed while using the TWS1x with firmware 2.3.0:
- „Transparency off“/short click left doesn’t work. Nothing happens when I short click left. ANC on/off and NAR on/off can be triggered successfully. "Transperancy on" also can be enabled reliably.
- But, “Transparency on” always gets triggered when I take the TWS1x out of their charging case. Can you make the buttons unresponsive until they are inside the ears if you have a sensor for this. Or disable them for the first second or so while they are taken out of the charging case?
- Call volume is too low for phone conferences when in public transport or walking on a busy road (SoundID on, ANC on and off) even at max volume.
- Button confirmation announcements (ANC on/off, etc) are barely audible when music or calls are in progress
- This morning I had a case where under max volume the audio was distorted when there was a lot of bass (SoundID on, ANC on) for example while listening to Evshrugs playlist. This was while I was walking along a busy street. I haven't noticed it since.
- When putting the ear buds into the charging case I can hear a beeping sounds for a few seconds

Would be great if you could keep the fixes coming :) and the Multipoint of course.....

Cheers from Taipei!

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #355 of 494
I have received my Drop version last week and am generally happy with their design.

- When putting the ear buds into the charging case I can hear a beeping sounds for a few seconds

Would be great if you could keep the fixes coming :) and the Multipoint of course.....

Cheers from Taipei!
All good for me except they litteraly scream each time i put them back in their case..,more like a piercing hissing sound...not nice if it was a few beeping sounds it would be mostly ok

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #356 of 494

I have the Grell version and after the FW update. It is experiencing the drop outs. It's very temperamental. Have tested with connection to SoundId and no SoundId.
Have not been able to understand what triggers it. However when it starts with this, sometimes if you don't move at all it seems to stay connected , no issue, as soon as you do anything the drops occurr, I have place them in the case and then wait and connect them again. They remain fine for 5-6 minutes and then they begin being kinda wonky.
Have not re done 100% pairing after the FW and was going to do some tests after that. But will be later in the week

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #357 of 494
Hey guys… sorry to be so late checking in today. I have only had half a mind and been bedridden, but I’m starting to feel better and more alert!

There are a few issues I have noticed while using the TWS1x with firmware 2.3.0:
- „Transparency off“/short click left doesn’t work. Nothing happens when I short click left. ANC on/off and NAR on/off can be triggered successfully. "Transperancy on" also can be enabled reliably.
- But, “Transparency on” always gets triggered when I take the TWS1x out of their charging case. Can you make the buttons unresponsive until they are inside the ears if you have a sensor for this. Or disable them for the first second or so while they are taken out of the charging case?
- Call volume is too low for phone conferences when in public transport or walking on a busy road (SoundID on, ANC on and off) even at max volume.
- Button confirmation announcements (ANC on/off, etc) are barely audible when music or calls are in progress
- This morning I had a case where under max volume the audio was distorted when there was a lot of bass (SoundID on, ANC on) for example while listening to Evshrugs playlist. This was while I was walking along a busy street. I haven't noticed it since.

Cheers from Taipei!
Units have started reaching Taiwan, great!! Hello! 👋
Well, the good news is your touch sensors are working if you are able to enable ANC and NAR. To toggle transparency on/off, you have to be fast with the tap… the launch firmware had a 160ms timer to recognize a “tap,” the new firmware extended that to 240ms. That is about a quarter of a second, so you still have to be fast, but if we made it longer it would cause other issues.
The idea to add a touch sensor activation delay when removed from the case is interesting… there aren’t expensive proximity sensors, but we’ll see if perhaps the disconnect from the charging pins could be used as a trigger?
Your description of volume issues seem unusual. When I use my TWS/1 with the tips that fit me best (small), I typically listen at around 50%, and over about 80% volume is painful for me. I think the most likely solution for you would be experimenting with some eartips… it’s crucial that you are able to fully insert the tips into your ear canal, and they shouldn’t be too loose and have a bad seal, or too big and squeezing out from your canal. Some people need different sizes for each ear.
We did increase the max volume with the last firmware update, but ultimately we are bound by hearing safety laws, and we don’t want to cause permanent hearing loss. In a Bluetooth system, where the amplifier and transducer are integrated together in one system, the range of decibels can be reliably designed in (unlike wired headphones, which could be connected to an amplifier of any power). I believe you when you say the notifications are too quiet and that you were pushing the drivers to distortion for music playback, and of course I can’t exactly predict what is happening, but the most likely, healthy, and easy step to take is making sure the fit is right! Here’s a picture of the TWS/1 in my ear; notice how the inner “bulge” of the earpiece is below my antitragus, and the earphone is only sticking out a little bit:
BC1BFF74-B8E5-4D7C-82AA-C504EAAEC354.jpeg
With some in-ears I need medium tips, sometimes I need small tips, or foam, and I always have to experiment with fit and tips when I first get an in-ear. My mom put them “on” her ears rather than “in” her ears, they looked like they were at a 45° angle to her ears, and she had the same issues you described. I hope this helps!

All good for me except they litteraly scream each time i put them back in their case..,more like a piercing hissing sound...not nice if it was a few beeping sounds it would be mostly ok
I have issues with anc or anr in my left earbud. Sometimes it randomly starts putting out way too much pressure and making really weird noises. No idea what causes it, but it's really unpleasant.
Both of these issues would be caused by a loud sound going into the microphone… my wife made my TWS/1 scream when she dropped the earpieces into the case, making a loud “click” that started a feedback loop (this only happened the one time, but I feel like I could recreate it if I wanted), and the ANC strength is adaptive, so when it’s working harder to reduce background sounds it will feel like it is exerting more pressure. @dr. ego Try enabling ANC and let the earbuds play music overnight, give them a full charge cycle in the morning. If the issue persists as you keep using it, reach out to us at support@grellaudio.com, and let us know you’re dr. ego here on Head-Fi.

I dont have those issues but the battery life is not so great...i also dont know how much more battery life is sucked by having SoundId on.
and finally they dont go to sleep in the case....
Seems like the same issue or design flaw that plagued the Sennheiser MTW1 that makes an unpleasant return here!

Do you know if those earbuds go to sleep at all???
Yes; just like the original MTW1, the earpieces go to sleep mode when placed in their case with the lid closed. SoundID doesn’t use extra power, but higher volumes and features like ANC do use more power (you should get about 6 hours of runtime in the earpieces with ANC or NAR on).

The MTW/1 was designed to “sleep” instead of totally turning “off” while in the case, so that it could reestablish Bluetooth connections quickly and be immediately responsive to the user. The MTW2 “solved” this by using a lower power Qualcomm IC, but there was a small trade off in features and background noise. It was expected that users would use their earbuds every day (a cumulative 8 hours, on the spec sheet), and recharge every few days; a standby charge on the MTW/1 would last about a week if in “sleep mode” and not used.

I don’t know if the TWS/1 has the same sleep feature to be responsive and pair quickly, but I’ll ask and find out. Meanwhile, the grell audio TWS/1 should be even more convenient to give it sips of power whenever you’re home or at a desk: not only does it have the USB-C port, but you can also set the case on any Qi certified wireless charger (the most common type of wireless charger!) for a bit of power, even while you’re listening to music.

I have the Grell version and after the FW update. It is experiencing the drop outs. It's very temperamental. Have tested with connection to SoundId and no SoundId.
Have not been able to understand what triggers it. However when it starts with this, sometimes if you don't move at all it seems to stay connected , no issue, as soon as you do anything the drops occurr, I have place them in the case and then wait and connect them again. They remain fine for 5-6 minutes and then they begin being kinda wonky.
Have not re done 100% pairing after the FW and was going to do some tests after that. But will be later in the week
Hmm, interesting! Well, I am still trying to figure out if there is a root cause, but here’s an odd tip which seems to help, even if I don’t know why yet: I’ve had a few people say their intermittent dropout issues went away after they used them for several hours. Just yesterday, I had someone contacting me, wondering if the issue was because he was going for walks in cold weather, but I filmed myself going for an hour walk in a 25°F snowstorm (I got ice in my beard! I kinda regret it, I think going for a snow walk right after getting a booster shot is what made me feel bad today) with only two short dropouts (and I think maybe one was caused by covering the earpiece). We were talking about an exchange, but he went for two more walks of his own and has since had no dropouts. He uses in-ears all day, every day :ksc75smile:

Well, that’s it for tonight… I was working on another project for everyone before I was under the weather, hopefully I can work on that tomorrow and share with all of you soon!

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #358 of 494
We’re working with our supplier to make the silicone and memory foam (not Comply) available very soon! Keep an eye on the thread, there will be a grell audio announcement here.

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #359 of 494
@ Evshrug : Thank you for the very comprehensive answer about power management.
I had the Sennheiser MTW2 before getting the Grell audio but for me MTW1 from what i heard was a disaster....imagine putting them back in your case both fully charged friday night and find out on next monday the earbuds and case empty

However about the Grell, please also note that when there is no battery left in the case, the earbuds dont go to sleep and still connect to my phone (think even B&O EQ have similar issues)

Also since i have several other ways to listen music and rest my ears so no i am not using the grell earbuds everyday and not 8 hours a day :wink:
Thanks

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #360 of 494
you can also set the case on any Qi certified wireless charger (the most common type of wireless charger!) for a bit of power, even while you’re listening to music.
Did not know this. Wonderful! Is there any problem with leaving it always on a charger when not in use. I thought I recalled reading that with the MTW1 it wasn't good to leave them always plugged in when not in use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back