Format wars.. Blu Ray makes a wimper introduction
Jun 19, 2006 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
the first blu ray players are out at BB,. $999 price tag w/ 5th element or house of flying daggers as the showcase disc. However over at AVS, there are quite a few threads on the picture quality transfers on the BD's. Some even clamining the standard dvd of 5th element to be a more acceptable and pleasing picture next to the bd transfer. AVS blu ray software forum is in a bit up in stir from sonys lackluster launch. Some very dissapointed and upset at the poor quality showing thus far on such as expensive unit.

As I was strolling by the demo display that was hooked up, I tried to tell the sales assistant that the tv was seriously in need of calibration. Quite frankly he told me it looked fine to him. The display was sitting next to an HD DVD display with the last samarai which did have a sharper and truer picture.

The 5th element looked over saturated, had a red hue, soft picture and lots of dust and dirt over the image...

If I were willing to drop $999 for a BD player, i dont think its too much to ask to expect a transfer of higher quality. Really poor start for Sonys new machine. In all sincerity, this could be a majoy negative impact on BD sales. As early adopters and launch titles are important to showcase the wow factor. Currently BD movies with better technology is getting spanked by its competiting format in terms of picture quality and price ($1k vs $500)

Pretty bone head of a move by sony to rush out such poor quality discs as launch showcase titles.

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 52
It's too bad the PS3 is turning out to be both vaporware and heavily overpriced. (I'm still skeptical it will ever be released, it sounds like it has massive hardware issues that are not close to being resolved.) Sony had the lead in the format race, with a better format, better name, more support from studios and hardware companies... yet now that lead seems to be being frittered away.

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 52
who do folks think of HD-DVD's launch, comparatively?

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 52
im sure the hd dvd launch was quiet and unpressive also.
However..

hd dvd has been out much longer than blu ray and all existing hd dvd titles are literally stunning to watch. The way the format war works is the winner is result from which format has the largest installed userbase.

So this is a pretty critical time for sony to showcase the goods next to the hd dvd displays. However so far the bd's used for showcasing look like crap. Supporters feel betrayed and its hint of sonys preperation of redipping and rereleasing a super duper bit version of the 5th element to cash in. As the hd presentations shown on cable are far superior than what the blu ray disc is showing.

now price is also a major concern for the consumer sitting on the fence, when they see the displays and notice little difference and the better difference belonging to the hd dvd display, the $500 price difference is also a major factor. As at this current moment the differences are definately not $500. However this may change in the coming years but at this moment. Toshibas offering seems to have a big advantage for installing a userbase right now.

However, Sony can always rely on the BD drive on the PS3s that will make millions of gamers instant Blu ray owners. So this might be what makes BD a more popular format. However BD discs are $40 a pop, and not sure how many gamers (mostly kids and teens) can afford to drop that kind of money on a movie disc as opposed to a PS3 game.

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 52
side note, but the Qualia Store in NYC has(had?) a comparo demo showing off the Blu-Ray stuff using Spiderman and Lawrence of Arabia. I couldn't believe the difference - it HAD to be doctored, right? Anyhow, from what I saw that day, the future looks bright. Too bad Best Buy isn't exactly yo daddy's Qualia Store, so to speak.
icon10.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 52
Of course the films are not doctored
smily_headphones1.gif

Sony most likely has the demo set up displayed at its ideal settings.

the best buys and frys Ive seen neither have either set ups correct, and the CC and walmarts in so cal dont even have the hd dvd players in yet.

However spiderman isnt the showcase disc. down here. Not sure if it will be a release dic anytime soon, as spiderman in standard derfinition was already a great transfer, I would only expect the HD versions to be jaw dropping.

I cant really tell a major difference between hd and SD at the retail stores, but once you have the system properly set up and calibrated the differences are huge.

an hd dvd literally makes sd movies look ugly. Its like comparing a vhs tape to dvd.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 52
http://www.hddvd.org/messageboard/topic/10/23579/
Quote:

Blu-ray, as it exists today in both hardware and software, is a good, but not great format. I’m starting to see a bit of a pattern with these early BD titles as they generally are shorter films with bright, colorful cinematography. Those are the conditions under which MPEG2 BD looks its best. While I was initially questioning what the early adopter appeal of films like Hitch or 50 First Dates could be, now I can understand it.

Im seriously hoping the underdog (HD DVD) proves to hold its ground over blu ray, with all the HD DVD bashing my blu ray supporters and the whole idea early on that blu ray would get most of the support from distributors.

after the dissapointing showing by samsungs BD player and the whopping $1k price tag. ps3 sales may be what sony will have to rely on establishing a larger userbase.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 52
Uggh, how many formats can SONY come out with that can't compete. Mini Disc, SACD, ATRAC... come on, you think they'd smarten up.

I'm all for advances in technology, and SONY is helping with that by providing competition.

I'm completely impartial, as I couldn't give any less about home theater, but I think the format wars are silly.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
That's a fairly biased commentary. He's comparing the next generation HD-DVD codec against a last generation codec on the Blu-Ray disc. That's not an apples to apples comparison, or even intellectually honest.

if you consider it biased, then Id suggest you read up on whats going on over at avs
smily_headphones1.gif
. Blu ray supporters are actually pretty upset with whats been shown so far and admit the price and performance of current hd dvd models as being superior for now.

of course this is just now. Not sure what will happen to blue ray a year from now. but currently an additional $500 for a product that has so far shown to be inferior and discs incapable of utilizing more than 25gigs far from the 50gigs people were expecting, has led to a bit of skepticism by both sides in regards to the blu ray format.

however, maybe sony can get their act together, but seriously, if it takes too long it will be too late.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 52
Has anybody on avsforum done a side by side comparison on two tv's, with a picture of both?

PS, rnb, get on live!

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 52
dont have access to the xbox at the moment, maybe later tonight before I go to sleep Ill hop on for a game of uno or something.

regarding the formats,
I seriously hope fox and disney support hd dvd in the future.
the xmen movies and pixar films need hd versions
biggrin.gif

rumors are a buzz about triple later 45 gig hd dvds, so there goes the capacity argument.

For someone that is into home theater, I really find the whole format war exciting.

sony was also the developer of beta max right?

they did do something right with spdif? deceloping that technolgy along side philips.

Jun 19, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
Uggh, how many formats can SONY come out with that can't compete. Mini Disc, SACD, ATRAC... come on, you think they'd smarten up.

I'm all for advances in technology, and SONY is helping with that by providing competition.

I'm completely impartial, as I couldn't give any less about home theater, but I think the format wars are silly.

don't forget Betamax!
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 52
i remember when sony was invincible..but they have been craptastic for the last 10 years or so...even their tv line once their pride and joy in not top rate anymore...even their lcd are made by samsung. sony has good design but the quality has diminshed. i hope that new english ceo brings sony back up to standards as gohsyn(sp?) did with nissan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back